How do YOU choose an uncut watermelon?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Always a "hit and miss" with me.
Many many members here have a "good ear" for music. Do you pick a watermelon by thumping and sound, color of stem if it has one, or what were you taught? Growing up we raised a "patch of watermelons and mush melons every year and I would "plug" the watermelons until I found one that suited me. Ruined lots of developing watermelons-mushmelons much easier to judge.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I get one or two seedless watermelons a week to slice up and put in the fridge as it makes a great snack when Chilled to cool off in the summer heat. Personally I look for the darker green ones. One thing I stay away from is watermelons with a light or yellowish white spot on the bottom where they have been sitting on the ground. Seems everyone I pick that has that yellowish white flat spot is just past ripe and really mushy when cut into. Stay with the green ones and try to find the round ones without flat spots anywhere. Has worked great for me so far this year.

TX

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, I always pick the ones with a big flat yellow spot on the bottom.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I know, I know, it's unAmerican. But, I'm not a fan at all of watermelon although I absolutely love Honey Rock.

F312

Reaction score
Georgia Watermelons I think are the best, but you can't find'um in Texas. (Insert teeth-gnashing watermelon emoticon here).

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Never liked dealing with the seeds, and too big for one guy in an apartment anyway, so always went with cantaloupes.
On those, ya sniff the spot where the stem was attached.
NO smell=NO sell, and the better the smell the better the flavor.
Most of the time they're picked a little green so never got one that was over-ripe.
Not sure if that'd carry over to watermelons and ya might look a little funny tryin' it, anyway.
:smile:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A post about sniffing cantaloupes?

No comment.

walrus

F312

Reaction score
I sniff cantaloupes, peaches, plums, soundholes. but I can't smell watermelons.

Ralph

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Never liked dealing with the seeds, and too big for one guy in an apartment anyway, so always went with cantaloupes.
On those, ya sniff the spot where the stem was attached.
NO smell=NO sell, and the better the smell the better the flavor.
Most of the time they're picked a little green so never got one that was over-ripe.
Not sure if that'd carry over to watermelons and ya might look a little funny tryin' it, anyway.
:smile:
They have personal size seedless watermelons...

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Low, hollow sound and heavier than others it’s size. California melons are the best.

dbirchett

Reaction score
We had a truck farm across the street from our farm, owned by a Japanese family. My failsafe method was to go over and say, "Giichi, give me your best one." Never failed. Really miss those guys.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Low, hollow sound and heavier than others it’s size. California melons are the best.

We're talking about real all natural melons here, not the fake ones. I would have to rule out the California Melons as even qualifying for the discussion of being the best as I am pretty sure no one wants to eat a melon with Plastic and silicone injected into it, LOL!

TX