How do YOU choose an uncut watermelon?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would have to rule out the California Melons as even qualifying for the discussion of being the best as I am pretty sure no one wants to eat a melon with Plastic and silicone injected into it,
TX

HEY!
They may not be good for much, but California watermelons are the freeze-drier's choice:
southernplate-watermelon-jerky-400x300.jpg

And with a 20-plus year shelf life are a favorite of survivalists everywhere!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Georgia...respectable.

Grand Bay, AL....respectable.

The best cantaloupes and watermelon come from Gibson and Posey Counties in SW Indiana.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My favorite summer salad is Cucumber salad with red onion, apple cider vinegar, honey, coarse ground black pepper and after that has soaked in the fridge for awhile, just before serving, add fresh sweet cubed watermelon. Watch it disappear.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Side note to cutting the melon. Anyone ever use a small string or fishing line? Wrap aroundcouple of fingers on each hand and saw back and forth while applying pressure with string on melon. Makes good cuts.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Side note to cutting the melon. Anyone ever use a small string or fishing line? Wrap aroundcouple of fingers on each hand and saw back and forth while applying pressure with string on melon. Makes good cuts.

Shelby, I just gotta ask. Don't they have knives in Dickson, Tn.????

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
We're talking about real all natural melons here, not the fake ones. I would have to rule out the California Melons as even qualifying for the discussion of being the best as I am pretty sure no one wants to eat a melon with Plastic and silicone injected into it, LOL!

TX

I guarantee CA has plenty of natural melons, really nice ones, too!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Shelby, I just gotta ask. Don't they have knives in Dickson, Tn.????
Use to be a knife collector but had to sell most of my knives to get my first Guild.
Anyone can cut a watermelon with a knife. I didn't get a real knife until I was six so I had to "make do" with what I had--fishing line! Ha

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Use to be a knife collector but had to sell most of my knives to get my first Guild.
Anyone can cut a watermelon with a knife. I didn't get a real knife until I was six so I had to "make do" with what I had--fishing line! Ha
la garotte!
s-l225.jpg

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Low, hollow sound and heavier than others it’s size.

I am cool with all the above, but... what if they are all about ripe ? They would all weigh about the same. Maybe the heavy one has gone past it's prime ? I've just had back luck the last couple years. Everything in my California store is seedless and rather tasteless. I'll take some real seeds if the melon is sweet and ripe !