Joe will like this accidental bird photo

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
This gal was trying to photograph the $21 lobster roll she just bought with the lighthouse in the background when all of a sudden:

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
VsMWpJs.jpg
[/FONT]

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I HATE when that happens!!! The water sure is pretty, though..... Great photo, dread. That bird is like :jaded:.....

I just "got it" Ralph..... takes me a minute sometimes..... LOL!!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This gal was trying to photograph the $21 lobster roll she just bought with the lighthouse in the background when all of a sudden....

Wow, right out of the hand! I used to throw bread crusts, which they would occasionally catch, while I was photographing them. Here's a shot I played around with in photoshop a bit.... :eek:nthego:

fe707wc.jpg

F312

Reaction score
Okay, show us the bird, Joe.

Ralph

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was stationed on Whidbey Island, Washington at the Naval Air Station, gulls were a big problem for our air squadrons. Nonetheless we used to feed them snacks from our box lunches. There was a gull with only one leg who figured out he was getting preferential treatment so he capitalized on that, LOL. He actually became kind of aggressive toward the other gulls if they dared take a snack.

There was a cliff at the beach on the Navy base, and the gulls would just hang out there and float on the wind currents. They wouldn't go anywhere, they would just hang right there above the cliff for a long time.

Farther down the island, by Coupeville, we would see the gulls feeding on clams and oysters at low tide. They would dig one up, then fly over to the road about 30' in the air, then drop the crustaceans on the road so they would crack. They also learned that the cars passing by would crack them open.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
That lobster poh boy really looks delicious....should be at that price! I was down on the Eastern Shore, Virginia not to long ago and watching a mother duck leading her newly born brood behind her in the back water area when a seagull swooped down and grabbed the last chick in the row and swallowed it whole in a couple seconds. It was shocking to watch! We're headed to the Maine coast next week and am looking forward to downing a lobster poh boy. I'll keep my eye out for that gull!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There was a cliff at the beach on the Navy base, and the gulls would just hang out there and float on the wind currents.

They're quite the flyers. Look at the curve of that wing!

gul762.jpg

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of gulls and they're unappreciated by most. Whenever there's nothing else going on, gulls are always there.
I live north of where dread was stationed and I know first-hand of which he speaks.

Yes, I have a few thousand gull shots in the portfolio. :biggrin-new:

Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That lobster poh boy really looks delicious....should be at that price! I was down on the Eastern Shore, Virginia not to long ago and watching a mother duck leading her newly born brood behind her in the back water area when a seagull swooped down and grabbed the last chick in the row and swallowed it whole in a couple seconds. It was shocking to watch! We're headed to the Maine coast next week and am looking forward to downing a lobster poh boy. I'll keep my eye out for that gull!
Hey Rich, we have a super great place here on the Strip, which we BRAVE every now and then called Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. Right on the street. Super cool restaurant and super nice people working. John always tells us about what cars he's working on and what's up at work..... and their Lobster Roll is to DIE for!! The Maine coast sounds a whole lot better, but just driving up 6 miles and grabbing a seat at the bar is SO much easier for us. Enjoy your trip. Have a lobster roll for me, buddy!!! :encouragement:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Hey Rich, we have a super great place here on the Strip, which we BRAVE every now and then called Mon Ami Gabi at Paris. Right on the street. Super cool restaurant and super nice people working. John always tells us about what cars he's working on and what's up at work..... and their Lobster Roll is to DIE for!! The Maine coast sounds a whole lot better, but just driving up 6 miles and grabbing a seat at the bar is SO much easier for us. Enjoy your trip. Have a lobster roll for me, buddy!!! :encouragement:

Thanks for the encouragement Tom. I'll be on the lookout for some. I suspect those rolls will never be too far away! You guys in the "Paris" of the USA have it too good! Except that we get some rain every now and then, mostly all the time these days.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gallish gull greedily gobbles girl's gargantuan sandwich with gusto. That's the headline I woulda written for this story.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just got back from a weeks vacation in Cape May, NJ. The laughing gulls are very brazen there and if you're eating on the beach you need to keep one hand over your food at all times or it will be theirs! One of the best/worst was a Mom right in front of us who just returned with hot dogs for the family. As she reached out to hand a dog to her son a gull dove down and snatched it out of her hand!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would expect trying to order a lobster po' boy will not get you a lobstah roll. po' boy is one of those regional terms that is not often heard or understood in New England. That looks like a fine lobster roll but at $21 the photographer was clearly not getting off the Tourist Path. Indeed a couple summers ago you could get a decent lobster roll at McDonalds and change from $10. Great picture and a cautionary tale for folks who consider photographing their food and sharing the picture part of the Experience.