Dv 74

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Does anybody out there have a sense of directionally what someone could expect to pay for a DV 74?? I know it's pretty subjective and yes I know the old "it's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it" is an easy answer. I'm looking for something a bit more definitive I guess.

My edition of the Bluebook of Acoustic Guitars gives a range of $2,100 to $2,500 but I've learned based on other rarer models that source isn't always realistic for these type guitars.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
There were only 15 or 18 or something like that made, right? The only public transaction I can find was supposedly sold for $3,800 on OfferUp in Georgia last year. That seems too high to me.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
By your post, I hope you have found one.
If so, and you are convinced it is in good structural condition, get it-been on your list a while.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Given its rarity, I think fair market is $3,200-3,400. I would personally pay more for one in excellent condition, and you could pick up one for less if you were lucky, but that is how I see it.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Given its rarity, I think fair market is $3,200-3,400. I would personally pay more for one in excellent condition, and you could pick up one for less if you were lucky, but that is how I see it.

Thanks. That's pretty much where I thought it should be as well. Just looked hard at your signature. You surely have some Primo gear there.

F312

Reaction score
I know the DV 73s has been over 3000 lately so...

Ralph

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That sounds about right too Ralph. Mine was in that ballpark and I know I wouldn't let it go for anything less.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, Richard. Your signature is nothing to sneeze at either.

I hope 2 DV74s come up simultaneously so we don't get into a bidding war.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only recall 2 DV-74s for sale during the dozen years I have been watching: one that was for sale for a number of years on the Atlanta Craigslist, and one bought earlier this year by LTGer gecalloway. I don't have the SN of either in my spreadsheet, but from distinctive patterns in the rosette, I can say they were two different instruments.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
gecalloway's DV74 came from Atlanta as well. I just missed out on that one. Good for him.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
gecalloway's DV74 came from Atlanta as well. I just missed out on that one. Good for him.

Yep... I re-checked my notes and pics. gecalloways DV-74 was the Atlanta 74 that was for sale a couple times back in ~2013 (there a couple threads on LTG discussing it). The other DV-74 I have pics of was at the "Plekhaus" in Berlin... back on 2017. Unclear if it was for sale. Guess I was having a "senior moment"... (that's the excuse I used to give my class when I was having trouble coming up with a word during lecture).

Straightening myself out lead me to re-search the web for images of DV-74s, and a new pic appeared... of a DV-74 sold by Wildwood Music in Coshocton Ohio. The advertised price was $5,998. Don't know the date of the posting. The pics are pretty low-res.., and I cannot make out the SN. but it's definitely NOT gecalloway's (back grain is different), and from the geography, seems unlikely to be the one posted by Plekhaus... so maybe a third of the 20 or so made?

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just found and bought one. Should get it next week.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fantastic news Andrew! While the rest of us were wondering how to choose an uncut watermelon, you made your move! Congrats!

It was my plan all along. Hopefully I’ll find a D80 while you guys are watching fireworks.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Distract.... and bid. I like it!! It's a good plan..... Now, of course, I've got fireworks from 5 huge hotels on the Strip competing for my attention on my patio, and then all the locals on the other side thinking they can blow up the world!! Too bad I'm not a huge fireworks fan. And all this time, Andrew is scooping the deals!! Awesome!! :encouragement:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just got mine today. Excellent condition, except missing TRC (already got my NOS replacement thanks to Hans), and missing end pin due to installation of a Sunrise pickup, which is coming out.

I will post NGD pics when I get it back from Tom Crandall, but here is a taste.

kJHfKS6.jpg

Last edited: