Play Authenic

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...Mark Agnesi....

Looks like Gibson has promptly put Mark to good use. Appears they also ran him through a quick course in charm school, lol.

I'll never forget Agnesi's review and demo of a 1975 Guild F-412. Jump out to minute 4:15....

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And there are a few spoofs of that ad already. Here's my favorite:

walrus

Zelja

Reaction score
Gibson pulled the original video, here's a re-upload:

Who in Gibson thought this was a good idea? SMH.

merlin6666

Reaction score
That is hilarious. So he lists 50 years of accomplishments from 1910s into the 60s and then leaps forward to 125 year anniversary ... leaving the 55 years of crap since the 60s unmentioned.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Didn't Gibson just recently emerge from bankruptcy after decades of corporate blunders with promises to bring quality and guitars back? That's not the way to do it ...

mike1100

Reaction score
I was wondering if this youtube "disturbance in the force" was going to be felt here.

From his days at Norm's, I didn't care for Mark's shtick of playing vintage guitars while wearing a jacket covered in zippers. That said, he seemed to be successful at pushing guitars at Norm's. From the video of Mark's personal collection, it is evident Mark is a huge fan of Gibson.

Agreeing to be a public face for an organization is risky pact. Mark is now a corporate shill, dancing to Gibson's tune. If Mark's hand was forced to deliver a script, he could have walked. That said, Mark just took this job and relocated his family a few months ago. I wouldn't put it past Gibson to incite vengeance upon folks that leave under "less than amicable" terms.

However this went down, Mark's marketability took a hit here and Gibson is still laughable. Gibson's current CEO, James Curleigh, used to push overpriced Levi's. It seems Gibson's current direction is to sell image over substance.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if this youtube "disturbance in the force" was going to be felt here.

From his days at Norm's, I didn't care for Mark's shtick of playing vintage guitars while wearing a jacket covered in zippers. That said, he seemed to be successful at pushing guitars at Norm's. From the video of Mark's personal collection, it is evident Mark is a huge fan of Gibson.

Agreeing to be a public face for an organization is risky pact. Mark is now a corporate shill, dancing to Gibson's tune. If Mark's hand was forced to deliver a script, he could have walked. That said, Mark just took this job and relocated his family a few months ago. I wouldn't put it past Gibson to incite vengeance upon folks that leave under "less than amicable" terms.
Cogent!

However this went down, Mark's marketability took a hit here and Gibson is still laughable. Gibson's current CEO, James Curleigh, used to push overpriced Levi's. It seems Gibson's current direction is to sell image over substance.
OMG!!! Is THAT what happened when they dropped the belt loop count from 7 to 5, causing me to boycott 'em ever since?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I didn't like him at Norm's, and he's cemented himself in my "dislikable" category with that video.

SpectreSoundStudios, though, I love that guy.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'd have to agree, GAD.

Even his style is claimed to be "authentic"...

"Mark, who joins Gibson from Norman’s Rare Guitars, will bring his industry expertise, his authentic style, and his passion for guitars to help Gibson shape the future."

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Everything Gibson says or does goes under the brand-obsessed social media microscope. On the company's part it's all just one form of marketing nonsense or another. I don't get why anyone cares that much.

That said, they've done a great job with their new Custom Shop reissue of the '64 SG Standard. I even bought one, the only post-1974 Gibson I've ever owned…or plan to.

-Dave-

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, there must now be an opening at Norm's to play all those vintage guitars - where do I apply?? :nevreness:

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That said, they've done a great job with their new Custom Shop reissue of the '64 SG Standard. I even bought one, the only post-1974 Gibson I've ever owned…or plan to.

I gotta say, CME offered up a mint 2018 Rosewood-backed Songwriter 12-string (Bozeman-built) for nearly a grand under the price of a new one. Awesome Gibson teardrop burst, abalone rosette, I couldn't resist. Plays darn nice, too. The mustache grows on you. :tiger:

son513-2.jpg

son524.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Everything Gibson says or does goes under the brand-obsessed social media microscope. On the company's part it's all just one form of marketing nonsense or another. I don't get why anyone cares that much.

-Dave-

That's good to know. I've been eyeing the Custom Shop reissue of the Les Paul Junior. But only "eyeing" so far...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's good to know. I've been eyeing the Custom Shop reissue of the Les Paul Junior. But only "eyeing" so far...

walrus

Gibson custom shop stuff is on another level. I've owned a few Custom Shop Historic guitars and they've all been amazing. I wouldn't pay retail or even street new prices for them, but on the used market they're almost worth it.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I jumped on the '64 reissue mainly because I'd been tracking originals for quite awhile without seeing anything I'd go for at anywhere near the prices sellers are asking (and getting) for 'em. Late '63s & '64s are the only SG Standards with both a chunky 1 11/16" neck and pickups that still sound PAF-y. And the one I bought was the winter NAMM display guitar, so I figured it'd probably be a good 'un. (It is! Even the p'ups are period-appropriate.)

-Dave-

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
Sold my BB King a few days after the Mark video. He wasn't the catalyst, I was gonna do it anyway. I now own no Gibson and a whole slew of Martin's and one Guild.

Head Of Brand Experience. What the F does that mean. Legal BS to say he has a job and the place he works at happens to make high and I mean high quality guitars.

So Mark my brand experience the other day with one of these guitars you are head of the department of was not to my liking. Who can I complain to and can you be fired for being to toolish?

Last edited: