anyone have a guild ds-240 memoir slope shoulder....need feedback

Reaction score
thinking of buying the new guild j-45 look alike ds-240 ....

anyone have one and can comment, likes and dislikes????

Mark WW

Reaction score
Actually I have one. There were none to try locally so I ordered one from Sweetwater knowing I would have to probably pay for the return shipping if I didn't like it. Well I still have it but then again I like a lot of Guild's imports so that makes me kind of an outlier. Some thoughts on mine:

Nicely crafted. Nothing ostentatious but seems pretty solid. The neck profile is typical 1-11/16" nut width neck you will find on Guild Dreads. Not skinny but just enough chunk to make it playable for me. Sound is pleasant and not a lot of bass but again we are talking a $400 something guitar. I love the slope shoulders and it's overall appearance and it is nice and light and for me fun to just pick up and play. I am down to 3 Guild acoustics and pretty happy. They are my OM-140, DS-240 and a GAD G212. Hope my little blurb helps.

jfilm

Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually I have one. There were none to try locally so I ordered one from Sweetwater knowing I would have to probably pay for the return shipping if I didn't like it. Well I still have it but then again I like a lot of Guild's imports so that makes me kind of an outlier. Some thoughts on mine:

Nicely crafted. Nothing ostentatious but seems pretty solid. The neck profile is typical 1-11/16" nut width neck you will find on Guild Dreads. Not skinny but just enough chunk to make it playable for me. Sound is pleasant and not a lot of bass but again we are talking a $400 something guitar. I love the slope shoulders and it's overall appearance and it is nice and light and for me fun to just pick up and play. I am down to 3 Guild acoustics and pretty happy. They are my OM-140, DS-240 and a GAD G212. Hope my little blurb helps.

I know this is an old thread - but Mark WW, I have a question about that neck profile on the DS-240 compared with your GAD G212. I've played a few in the GAD series, like the M20, M120, F130, D125, and I loved the necks on those. So, as someone who owns both a new DS-240 and an older GAD, is the neck profile on the DS-240 noticeably chunkier than the GAD series? I'm thinking that the short scale and 1 11/16" nut would be a good combo for me, as long as the neck isn't too chunky. I played a Gibson WM jumbo a few years back, and also newer J15, J45s, etc, and the necks on those are all a bit too chunky for my liking. If the DS-240 is anything like the GAD, I'd probably take the plunge on one. Thanks for your help.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread - but Mark WW, I have a question about that neck profile on the DS-240 compared with your GAD G212. I've played a few in the GAD series, like the M20, M120, F130, D125, and I loved the necks on those. So, as someone who owns both a new DS-240 and an older GAD, is the neck profile on the DS-240 noticeably chunkier than the GAD series? I'm thinking that the short scale and 1 11/16" nut would be a good combo for me, as long as the neck isn't too chunky. I played a Gibson WM jumbo a few years back, and also newer J15, J45s, etc, and the necks on those are all a bit too chunky for my liking. If the DS-240 is anything like the GAD, I'd probably take the plunge on one. Thanks for your help.

Pending Mark's answer, the Westerly Collection guitars are made in the same factory that built the GAD's so would expect similarity/continuity of that neck profile, but then again, great question.
You may want to send him a private message since, as you noticed, this is an old thread.
Click on his user name and the option will pop up.
:friendly_wink:

Mark WW

Reaction score
jfilm - Sorry for the delay. THe GAD G212 is a 12 string so the neck comparison with the DS-240 wouldn't do you much good. I also had a GAD 40ce which is a 6 string with a 1-11/16" nut. I sold it and the DS-240 because my preference is 1-3/4" or bigger. I like my OM-140 and D-140 with the wider nut but it is not a substantial difference...just enough to be more comfortable.

jfilm

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, so the profile on the GAD 40ce and the DS-240 is similar? Just don’t want to buy a guitar with a chunky neck- I like the 1 11/16 width. I had a GAD F-130 that had a nice slim profile neck with 1 3/4. Any noticeable difference between the GAD 40ce and the DS-240 in terms of the feel of the neck? I know the memoir series is supposed to be modeled after pre-war guitars, and was wondering if this means making a chunkier neck like a Gibson J-45, which seems to be the guitar the DS-240 is paying homage to.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Thanks, so the profile on the GAD 40ce and the DS-240 is similar? Just don’t want to buy a guitar with a chunky neck- I like the 1 11/16 width. I had a GAD F-130 that had a nice slim profile neck with 1 3/4. Any noticeable difference between the GAD 40ce and the DS-240 in terms of the feel of the neck? I know the memoir series is supposed to be modeled after pre-war guitars, and was wondering if this means making a chunkier neck like a Gibson J-45, which seems to be the guitar the DS-240 is paying homage to.

I hesitate to answer for you. The reason is individual tastes. I would love a 1-7/8" nut and a thickness of 1.9" + but hey that is not what you want. I think they were similar but I had already sold my 40ce before acquiring the 240. Worse case pay the $30-$40 to return it.

jfilm

Reaction score
Guild Total
I see, thanks, no worries- I think that’s good advice, the guitar is priced right, might be worth a try.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
which seems to be the guitar the DS-240 is paying homage to.
Think a more likely comparison is to Guild's own Orpheum series which themselves were conceived as "How Guild would have done it if they'd been around then", but yeah J-45 would still have been influence, and at the time Gibson's own Ren Ferguson was on board with Guild in New Hartford and the Orpheums are considered by many to be his crowning achievement for 'em.
I still think that given the source factory not a whole lot of variation of neck profiles is likely, but be aware there was one Orpheum model with a "soft V" profile, something appealing to a limited range of players.
They could do that in New Hartford and probably Oxnard too but I still doubt they'd take the trouble to put a special profile on a neck at Grand Rewards.

Reaction score
I have a ds240, it was recommended by a few sound engineers I know, after sending two vintage j45 back, due to tone issues..
I thought what do I have to loose. $500 vrs $4700.00
Stunned at the tone...well worth the price.
Not as pretty as a j45, the neck finish and dye job is just kinda weird, and does not match the body, in color or texture... but it’s acceptable.
The bracing pattern looks to be vintage j45 style, not the standard j45 newer style..another plus.
I have changed out the nut, saddle, and pins to bone, every guitar I own I cut a new nut, because I do it a bit different than most, and am a little ocd...
The tuners I will swap out next, for a better set...
Everything worked fine as is, but I know I could improve it, so I did.
the guitar sounds, and records very well..
And I am stunned at how great it sounds.
Does the j45 thing very well, compression when you dig deep, not fart out.
Not boomy recording wise like a Martin dread can be... I see rens footsteps all over this one...
I am very happy with it.
Recommended.

jfilm

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a ds240, it was recommended by a few sound engineers I know, after sending two vintage j45 back, due to tone issues..
I thought what do I have to loose. $500 vrs $4700.00
Stunned at the tone...well worth the price.
Not as pretty as a j45, the neck finish and dye job is just kinda weird, and does not match the body, in color or texture... but it’s acceptable.
The bracing pattern looks to be vintage j45 style, not the standard j45 newer style..another plus.
I have changed out the nut, saddle, and pins to bone, every guitar I own I cut a new nut, because I do it a bit different than most, and am a little ocd...
The tuners I will swap out next, for a better set...
Everything worked fine as is, but I know I could improve it, so I did.
the guitar sounds, and records very well..
And I am stunned at how great it sounds.
Does the j45 thing very well, compression when you dig deep, not fart out.
Not boomy recording wise like a Martin dread can be... I see rens footsteps all over this one...
I am very happy with it.
Recommended.

Thanks, that's helpful - I ordered one and it's arriving soon.

Last edited:

jfilm

Reaction score
Guild Total
Think a more likely comparison is to Guild's own Orpheum series which themselves were conceived as "How Guild would have done it if they'd been around then", but yeah J-45 would still have been influence, and at the time Gibson's own Ren Ferguson was on board with Guild in New Hartford and the Orpheums are considered by many to be his crowning achievement for 'em.
I still think that given the source factory not a whole lot of variation of neck profiles is likely, but be aware there was one Orpheum model with a "soft V" profile, something appealing to a limited range of players.
They could do that in New Hartford and probably Oxnard too but I still doubt they'd take the trouble to put a special profile on a neck at Grand Rewards.

I've got the Memoir DS-240 - it's a really nice looking guitar with a sweet sound, and I'm just getting used to it. As for the neck profile, on the Guild site I see that most of the neck profiles are listed as "C shape", including the Memoir DS-240. There are a couple, like the OM-240E for example, listed as "Slim C". My impression of the Memoir is that the profile is not as slim as the GADs I've played, which include the older GAD M20 with the through saddle, the newer GAD M120, the GAD 25 NAT (all hog dread) and the GAD F130.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Jacobs Custom Guitar has one of these in their store. it's a real nice guitar. if anyone else is in the market for one, I would by his...Give Tom Jacobs a call he will take care of u