Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GF-50 12 string

The label in my Guild 12 reads: GF50-12 NT.
    The serial ends in 37.
    I'm not good at posting pictures but if anyone would care to PM me their email, I'll send what I have.
    The guitar is in excellent condition with very little wear and has an extremely tight grained top with tons of tiny little crossgrained curl to it.
    Also came with the original HSC.
    Thanks to all for the replies!

Wouldn't low action with low saddle mean it does NOT need a neck reset ? Low saddle and still HIGH action would mean that. I think what the OP has in one some one adjusted to be as easy to play as possible. Do the straight edge on the fretboard to bridge test.
    1974 Ovation Legend
    Walden G2070
    G&L Legacy Tribute
    1984 Ovation 1758 12 string
    2010 Guild F47R
    2013 Guild NS X175-B
    1998 Guild Starfire IV
    2008 Prototype D55
    2016 Guild NS X175 Sunburst

Hey CE, I'm sorry, I actually mistook Ralf's photos for YOUR guitar, which explains my comment up above!! Now it makes sense. Your label is correct!! It's an NT (natural top) on a dark wooded guitar. Bld would mean maple and no stain, I believe. Anyway, send me a photo or two, I'll post them. I assume you're looking to sell it?
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016 (The BLUE one)
    Breedlove Myrtlewood Concerto E 07/12/17
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
    Wouldn't low action with low saddle mean it does NOT need a neck reset ?
    Well yeah, the action is the deciding factor. However, the low saddle means the break angle is somewhat compromised, which robs some vibe going into the soundboard. A stopgap measure to delay a neck reset is to ramp the bridge pin holes, which recovers some of the break angle.
    2018 Guild F512 Sunburst
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

While I'm really enjoying the tones this 12 produces I'm finding that my arthritic hands can only play this thing for a few songs, then it's time to take a break.
    The action is pretty low (what with the low saddle and all) but I'm kinda wondering where this is going.

Tune down to D standard and either transpose or use a capo...the string tension will be lower...and you'll put off having to do a reset.

Or look into lower tension strings...maybe there's a 12 string set of silk and bronze.

And try not to grip the strings too hard...you only have to depress them enough to contact the frets...fingers don't have to feel the fretboard.

Wow...that's another example of, "If it sounds as good as it looks"....nice find...
    '65 Gibson B45 12 String
    '71 Cortez J200
    '90 Gibson Dove
    '93 Guild D25-12
    '96 Martin SPD16T
    Taylor 455 12 String
    '18 Guild D1212
    More to Come (well, maybe one more!)

Quote Originally Posted by GuildFS4612CE View Post
    Tune down to D standard and either transpose or use a capo...the string tension will be lower...and you'll put off having to do a reset.

Or look into lower tension strings...maybe there's a 12 string set of silk and bronze.
    Several in fact, and S&S too, GHS for sure lists both types, D'Addario silk& steel only, IIRC.
    Note in a '72 price list Guild themselves listed S&S 12 string sets in both light and medium gauges.
    As I like to say, read between those lines...
    http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/...lists/72-7.pdf
    Still list a set of silk/steel on the '88 list, too, which is same era as the GF50-12.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Thanks to all above for the suggestions, much obliged.
    I'll try dropping down to D first and using the capo more.
    Meanwhile, I'll look for some lighter gauge strings.
    I really am impressed with the tone of this 12 stringer. I feel the rosewood gives it a deeper and less jangly sound overall.
    Just what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameleye View Post
    Thanks to all above for the suggestions, much obliged.
    I'll try dropping down to D first and using the capo more.
    Meanwhile, I'll look for some lighter gauge strings.
    I really am impressed with the tone of this 12 stringer. I feel the rosewood gives it a deeper and less jangly sound overall.
    Just what I was looking for.
    I myself was on a search to tone down the jangle on my F65ce, same body outline (albeit cutaway); 3"deep and arched back maple body.
    Finally hit on using GHS silk and steel lights tuned a full step down.
    You might be quite pleasantly surprised at how s&s or even s&b sound even at standard pitch.
    Intonation does get a little touchy when tuned down to D standard but it might be less of an issue with a 12...or maybe not.
    I can transpose pretty easily if necessary, because I can't abide using capos.
    For a more in depth explanation of my hypotheses and the results, see my thread here, with a cell-phone vid of the F65ce and feedback from folks who've heard previous clips on it.
    Posts numbers 5, 8 and 10 in particular may be of interest.
    Again, some of the ideas are hypothetical on my part but it seems to have worked and may give you ideas of your own.
    The general principle of the difference in total set tension differences between silk-wound and bronze wrapped strings and how it might affect the top applies equally to 12's and 6's, and the easier playability of he silk types is an added bonus for me at least:
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...-Farewell-Tour
    There was also a similar thread dedicated to 12-strings specifically and another member asked a similar question yesterday so I guess I'll go try to dig that one up too for both of ya, stay tuned.
    Oh, in fact, here it is now:
    http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sho...ng-guage/page2
    Mixed in with our usual digressions are some good solid suggestions for 12-ers specifically.
    Last edited by adorshki; 07-12-2019 at 11:37 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!