Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Bigsby for M75

  1. #31
    ^^^^ I agree completely with Walter, That is the equivalent of a B6 and It won't work right. The String break angle will be non existent. It is your decision though. Have you thought of trying one of the Bigsby models they use on Fender Telecasters? I think those even have a Mounting system that you don't have to drill into the top for. They won't say Guild on them but they should be available with Bigsby on them instead of Fender. Just another suggestion.

    TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

    Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by txbumper57 View Post
    ^^^^ I agree completely with Walter, That is the equivalent of a B6 and It won't work right. The String break angle will be non existent. It is your decision though. Have you thought of trying one of the Bigsby models they use on Fender Telecasters? I think those even have a Mounting system that you don't have to drill into the top for. They won't say Guild on them but they should be available with Bigsby on them instead of Fender. Just another suggestion.

    TX
    The problem with those is they have no hinge; they're fixed at a right angle so only work on flat tops. What MIGHT work is a Mosrite style vibrato. You can get Chinese ones on Ebay or superior Chinese ones from Hallmark. I have a Hallmark one so can give dimensions if desired.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
    I say don't do it, but I've said that before in this thread. You'll end up with what you can see in this clip : a Bigsby that's too long, so the spring cup will butt up against your bridge, which is far from ideal. Also, you'll have virtually no string break angle from the Bigsby to the bridge, and that won't work very well either, if at all.

    Wow! I've seen that video before and didn't notice how close it is to the bridge! The specs from Cordoba list a length slightly shorter than a B3. I guess they are measuring differently. Now I'm looking at these things:
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Xtrem-F...sh_p_4424.html

    I don't care for the look of them, but it might be a better bet functionally. Any thoughts on the Xtrem?
    Aristocrat M-75 (Newark St.)
    1971 D-35

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by parker_knoll View Post
    The problem with those is they have no hinge; they're fixed at a right angle so only work on flat tops. What MIGHT work is a Mosrite style vibrato. You can get Chinese ones on Ebay or superior Chinese ones from Hallmark. I have a Hallmark one so can give dimensions if desired.
    Ooh... The Mosrites look cool! But they're strictly for solidbodies, no? The Aristocrat is an archtop hollowbody.
    Aristocrat M-75 (Newark St.)
    1971 D-35

  5. #35
    Senior Member Walter Broes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    4,603
    Quote Originally Posted by miasmo View Post
    I don't care for the look of them, but it might be a better bet functionally. Any thoughts on the Xtrem?
    Yes, a student I used to have put one on a guitar, and it was awful cheaply made junk.

    -1960 CE100D
    -1961 Starfire III Special
    -1962 X175
    -1963X175
    -2011 F47R
    -2015 Newark Street X175 BLK

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Broes View Post
    Yes, a student I used to have put one on a guitar, and it was awful cheaply made junk.
    Hmm... Oh, well. Wouldn't have looked good anyway.
    Aristocrat M-75 (Newark St.)
    1971 D-35

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by miasmo View Post
    Ooh... The Mosrites look cool! But they're strictly for solidbodies, no? The Aristocrat is an archtop hollowbody.
    Yes, I was thinking it had a sustain block

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Coopersburg, PA
    Posts
    2,929
    I was playing a M75 and thinking of this discussion and considered the concept of using the M75 harp stop as the spring for a vibrato used in some of the SG's and Firebirds. Didn't think it all the way through but was using my palm to press down on the harp to get the effect. Maybe a Chet Type Bigsby arm and some kind of fastener.
    M

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by matsickma View Post
    I was playing a M75 and thinking of this discussion and considered the concept of using the M75 harp stop as the spring for a vibrato used in some of the SG's and Firebirds. Didn't think it all the way through but was using my palm to press down on the harp to get the effect. Maybe a Chet Type Bigsby arm and some kind of fastener.
    M
    That will pitch the strings up rather than down so it's a slightly different effect.
    1957 X175 (ex)
    1960 Starfire III (ex)
    1962 X175
    1966 Starfire III (ex)
    1966 Duane Eddy DE-400
    2002 Starfire III-90

  10. #40
    So I finally pulled the trigger and bought a B3 and installed it. I haven't drilled any holes. As a temporary fix, I have it held in place with the end pin and a couple of washers with a piece of felt to avoid scratching the surface of the Bigsby. (See photo.)

    The break angle is very shallow. (See photo.) The upside of that is that it holds tune very well. But it sounds a little bit weird in some spots. I can still raise the bridge a tiny bit and still be within my comfort range. Hoping that will cure the slight buzz in some spots. I'll try to post some video soon so you guys can hear what I mean.



    Aristocrat M-75 (Newark St.)
    1971 D-35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •