Things have been a bit slow here, sooooo.....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My favorite guitar. The D65S...... you're welcome.

016tht.jpg

002aww.jpg

With the best Guild label ever!! I think they bought a new pen for this run..... maybe.

BrLQsY.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hate you and your stupid pretty guitar. :watermelon:

Even the printing on the label is beautiful!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
G, don't hate me because I'm beautiful, okay? There are SO many other good reasons to hate me..... kay?? :encouragement:

As my mother would remind me any time I used the word, I don't hate anyone or anything. This guy who is tripping over 50 guitars is envious of your fretboard. :biggrin-new:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom: The first picture is especially nice! Did you ever show the back of the guitar? Also, was the "S" just for "special" or was there another meaning for this limited run? You probably answered this in the past already, just couldn't find it.
Ralf

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Ralf, I've posted the back before, but I'll do it again. And the "S" stands for Special or Special Run. Not sure which. These guitars were built in 1994. If you look at the serial number you'll see it's GC (ordered by Guitar Center) and then zeroes followed by the number. In my case, #11/20. You can also see the signature of the (at that time) President of Guild Guitars at the top of the label. I've since forgotten who that was at the time. Hans knows.

V4DZTX.jpg

backzab.jpg

xxvgCm.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
36VFKw.jpg

And the back of the headstock. I'm a lousy photographer! And it's so shiny it's almost impossible to get decent photos, at least for me anyway.......

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom:
Where, when, and how did you aquire this "show piece" Guild?
Stunning!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mmmmmmaple! Yes, that is quite beautiful with the contrasting ebony board. Just like my ES. It’s a killer combination. I’d love me a nice maple Guild.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Richard, I have to agree with you! That guitar is FAR more beautiful than I!! Hands down!! And Stu, it was 1994 and the medical/healthcare world was in turmoil. I got laid off from my hospital administration job and they gave me a pretty good severance package. So I decided it was time to stop playing Don's guitars and buy one of my own. I went to Guitar Center and played everything in my price range, and this one stood out above all the others. So I bought it new. One owner, ME!! We've been through a lot together. When I first got it, it had that "new blonde" color that matched the cat, Fluffy.

guildandfluffy.jpg

Over the years it's mellowed and yellowed to that beautiful golden/amber color you see in the first photos. This is right after I got it in 1994.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, your photos and story are bringing back nice memories for me of my maple D64. No regrets, it's in good hands, but the "aging" of yours, the ebony fretboard, etc. - I always felt they were "sort of" similar builds.
Get off the computer and go play it! :wink:

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
Isn't this the guitar you drop kicked in your ambien induced sleep walk and fix-it fixed it??

Gorgeous!!

Oh I like the idea of placing the pick where you have it vs the first fret where I keep it...I'm sure it makes very little difference but it is the details that matter!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's some Guild. I'd be terrified of putting that first scratch in a new guitar... I get em pre scratched and dented and still feel guilty if I add one more.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You can also see the signature of the (at that time) President of Guild Guitars at the top of the label. I've since forgotten who that was at the time.
That would be Chuck Faas I'd say. In 1993 the Faas Corp. became U.S. Music Corp., New Berlin and Chuck Faas was the CEO & President (and after mid 1994 CEO & Chairman) of U.S. Music Corp. until he sold Guild to FMIC in 1995.
Ralf

F312

Reaction score
Beautiful, is that an arch back? Hard to see any bracing in the soundhole.

Ralph