A New Hartford-built Fender Kingman

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, look at this D-55 in the video at minute 26:05 and watch for about 2 minutes. That neck is completely different from the dark colored normal D-55 necks. https://youtu.be/UVVTSuC-01k?t=1558
https://www.12fret.com/wp-content/gallery/guild-d55-2009-cons/guild-d55-2009-cons-full-rear-1.jpg
Ralf

Also at the 26:22 minute mark of that video the gentleman applying the pore filler to the rosewood refers to it as a "Basic Stain". Looks like the question is answered about whether or no they stain rosewood. Also the neck is clearly much lighter in color in the video than a finished D55 Neck. Nice find on the video Ralf, That is the one I was referring to earlier.

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's a shame. Looks like they did a poor job with the tolerances in that neck design. It doesn't seem to really fit the guitar body down by the heel cap.

I agree completely Chazmo. It really is a shame as I loved the whole idea and woods on the guitar. Would really have loved to have this one in my collection but if something is not right it is just not right. If I would have kept it and left it like that it would have only gotten worse over time ultimately affecting the value of it and if I would have had it properly fixed I would have been out another $600 plus the time to fix it and that wasn't going to happen either. Definitely a Heartbreaker situation.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is a Glued in Dovetail joint. Let me make it clear that all of my New Hartford Guilds have finished neck to body joints as well as all other New Hartford Guilds I have seen.
Right, I worded my comment poorly and meant that I've seen comments to the effect that Guild was unique in finishing over the neck joints on their acoustics in general (and always as far as I know), with the usual couple of exceptions like the bolt-on neck models. And after all that one technically IS a Fender.
It's supposed to be one of their "bugaboos" when it comes to re-sets, for folks who may be seeing that info for the first time.
This looks like it was something specific to these particular Fender models with the Glued in Dovetail neck joint on the Electric style necks. I don't know what is going on with these neck joints to cause this but from the photos I think it is pretty clear that either the base of the neck heel isn't perfectly square with the body or the body has a hump in the center causing the neck not to seat properly along the edges of the joint.
TX
Thankee sir.