A New Hartford-built Fender Kingman

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Slight veer. On one of the LMG tours there were a number of Fender acoustics, dread shape IIRC, in bright colors. It made me think that if I had some extra money (yeah, right) it would be worth it to get one and take it to a Bluegrass jam, just to see the looks on the Martin guys faces. Some have looked askance when I showed up to one with a D-50. They might get apoplectic if they saw a pastel Fender!

I can relate Brad! I showed up to a bluegrass jam with my Rainsong once, and it caused a few raised eyebrows!

pnz8eljydyuq4zcvtmh0.jpg

When they heard how good it sounded, they were OK though!

F312

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller, so please say more about what you don't like about this guitar. Err that bridge.

Ralph

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The pickguard looks like silhouette of person wearing a cape sitting on bridge . . .

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tx, what do your eagle eye say about those lines on the top?

Ralph

That it is an ugly guitar, LOL. Almost so ugly that it is pretty. As far as the lines in the top, I think it is just the Grain itself and nothing to do with a crack. I don't see any checking along those lines which would almost always be present if there was a crack in the wood.

TX

F312

Reaction score
Well, I got off the phone with the seller and we agreed on 1200 and went to buy it and, poof it was sold, err. someone here no doubt.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well, I got off the phone with the seller and we agreed on 1200 and went to buy it and, poof it was sold, err. someone here no doubt.

Ralph

Sorry Ralph, I had been in talks with him since yesterday afternoon on it and I purchased it a little over an hour ago before my last post. I just couldn't resist it. The combo of being made in New Hartford, Ren Ferguson's involvement, My favorite Spruce being Engelmann on the top, and Honduran Rosewood back and sides? I just couldn't resist it. If something doesn't work out and for some reason I decide not to keep it you will have first crack at it for sure.

TX

F312

Reaction score
Well at least your a stand-up guy to acknowledge to me you bought it. I emailed him yesterday but he didn't call until this morning and I couldn't put my bid in because my computer connection has been going out every 5 minutes. :emptiness:
Enjoy

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well at least your a stand-up guy to acknowledge to me you bought it. I emailed him yesterday but he didn't call until this morning and I couldn't put my bid in because my computer connection has been going out every 5 minutes. :emptiness:
Enjoy

Ralph

I wasn't trying to buy it out from under anyone, it had been up for sale for 22 days. I made him an offer yesterday and he countered it late this morning and I accepted. Sorry about your computer connection, I have had that happen before and it sucks. To be honest I am surprised the guitar lasted as long as it did with all of the features on it. I fully expected it to be sold this morning before he countered my offer. When it wasn't I jumped on it.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a reply from the seller, so please say more about what you don't like about this guitar. Err that bridge.

Ralph
Isn't that enough?

Headstock aside I find the bridge reminds me of a barbershop quartet singer's mustache.
Kinda bad Gibson-lite-ish
Not quite barber shop quartet.
It took me a minute to realize exactly what the inspiration HAD to be:

652780_1.jpg

zixjqg1r91xvitjmdqx4.jpg

F312

Reaction score
I don't monitor Fender acoustics on eBay or reverb, but I saw it posted here from Dave. I never even played or was interested in Fender acoustics. I was excited with the specs on this one, and the price he came down to, it would have been easy to break even, or lose very little, if I didn't like how it sounded. Some appointments on it are not for everyone, but i was interested in how it would sound. :crushed:

Ralph

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I owned a NH Fender Custom Shop TPD2 ("master grade" sitka and EIR) for a while after buying it for a fire sale price, less than $1K IIRC. I much prefer this bridge and headstock, and it was a great guitar.

13418468_10209847634453458_2957826713156923624_o.jpg

I didn't get along so well with the narrowish nut and neck profile though, and was lucky that World Music Supply sent me a call tag to return it. I've seen the TPD1 (mahogany) for sale since, but not another one of these.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I owned a NH Fender Custom Shop TPD2 ("master grade" sitka and EIR) for a while after buying it for a fire sale price, less than $1K IIRC. I much prefer this bridge and headstock, and it was a great guitar.

13418468_10209847634453458_2957826713156923624_o.jpg

I didn't get along so well with the narrowish nut and neck profile though, and was lucky that World Music Supply sent me a call tag to return it. I've seen the TPD1 (mahogany) for sale since, but not another one of these.

I don't think I am going to have an issue with the neck on this one as it has the same "V" shaped "Boat Neck" that is on my 1956 AVRI Mary Kay Strat. I know a lot of folks think the bridge and Headstock are ugly on this one but I am sort of partial to them myself. When I first started trying to learn how to play guitar I did some airbrush work on a friends car in trade for a 1968 Fender Palomino Acoustic that was in rough shape but had the same bridge and headstock shape. After a few months I stupidly traded it in for another guitar to learn on instead of keeping it to play at a later date. I took a pretty good hit on it as well as I wasn't schooled in the art of buying and selling Used guitars at the time. This Kingman VRF serves as a replacement for the one that got away. Not too mention it has everything I would have changed on the Palomino already done to it. The bridge is not a bolt on like the palomino was and the neck is a set neck instead of a bolt on as well. Match that with the top grade materials, design, and craftsmanship and it makes for the perfect replacement to me. I am really excited about this one and look forward to it getting here!

TX