A guild for finger strumming

Reaction score
Hi Very happy to be part of this great forum!
I am looking for a Guild that would suit my style of playing .
I don't use a pick but strum (quite aggresively sometimes) with my fingers .
I own a Gibson J30 ..nice but a bit thin when i'm strumming .
I also own a Takamine 80's lawsuit which is a nice guitar , records well a bit like a Martin D18 .
Anyway i remeber playing some Guilds in the past and always loved them.
They seemed to have a nice flat response for strumming .
I also want a guitar that records really well.
Any help would be great in terms of what model might be worth looking out for ...vintage or modern
Many thanks

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! Stick around - it is a great group of folks here.

The only advice I can give you at this stage of your search is to try as many Guilds as you get your hands on. One of the nice things about Guild is there is no "you shouldn't buy any from those years or that factory" period in its entire existence. You may be able to make some generalizations about different time periods or factory locations or corporate owners, but there is no place or time you need to stay away from.

I have instruments from 4 different factory locations (Hoboken, Westerly, Tacoma, New Hartford) in three different woods (maple, mahogany, rosewood) in a variety of sizes and shapes, and they're all good. Some folks around here are coming to the belief the current domestic product coming from Oxnard under Cordoba's ownership is as good, if not better, than anything they've done to date.

Try as many as you get your hands on - one of them will be "the one".

And if you are like many of us around here, "the one" will become "the first".

ronbo

Reaction score
I would agree with Ralf...I have the F-47R and F-47M and both are exceptional strummers. Big full tones, excellent projection and nice bass with plenty of trebles on tap, not as big as a Jumbo, feels and plays like a Dreadnought, maybe a bit more comfortable for couch playing because of the smaller upper bout dimension. Got my F-47R a couple of years ago and recently decided that I had to try the maple version...only major difference is the maple is a bit more articulate and a touch more mids...single notes really stand out, which makes it a bit more preferable for bluesy lead lines or bluegrass runs.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I also strum with my fingers, sometimes crazy hard, strumming down with nails, flamenco style, pulling up with fingers, as well as fingerpicking too fast...

It's hard to do better than a vintage D35 for an outstanding value for a great strumming guitar, if you can find one that has decent action.

They do pop up once in a while at shockingly low prices, which makes no one want them, scares people off, and it's really affecting my finances... I'm trying to not buy a third one now ;)

The F guitars are incredible also, I"d have to call the F30 and it's variants as a standard for really great tone without a lot of frills.

If you have more money, the sky's the limit.

Anyway, you'll be lucky to stop at one...

Welcome ;)

Last edited:

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
My Corona D-40 sounds almost as good as my Gibson J-50 with more mids but not the Gibson booming bass. It sounded as good as the Martins in the store where I bought it new. Richie Havens strummed a D-40 with a big pick. A Guild F shape is better if you play sitting down. My GADs sound good too. You cant go to wrong with a Guild.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help .
Problem is i'm in the Uk and there are no real Guild dealers as far as i know ? but will look out on the secondhand market .