What did I buy today

12manyaxes

Reaction score
Hi all .. It's been a while for me. After a tragic accident which took my 78 bluesbird away. But I won't speak if that unfortunate time.

I have just purchased a 1973 bluesbird some if you may have seen on eBay or reverb at Sam ash.

Its in nice shape except for a couple bucks and some buckle rash is say its in top shape. The pups looked so good that I thought they may be n.a. version so I popped them out before making the deal..
All that said. I remember my 78 bbq to be much heavier and thicker too..

Does anyone know body specs??? Or is this some sub model ??? Or am I not remembering. It as it was.

The tuners and knobs where changed on it. Grovers with no real butchery. But some crummy speed knobs. Yuck!!!. That will change in do time

I will post pics of it asap
Thx

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Let me help you out with the pictures.

Sure the speedknobs are not original but it should be not too hard to find real black Guild knobs. Just mind the Newark St. guitars might have different shaft thickness, so I am not sure those knobs would fit. Somebody here will know.
I don't think the Grover tuners are original, they should have been Guild stamped Schaller tuners. EDIT: I see you mentioned this already.
Actually the tuners are not too wrong as according to Hans book the early models actually had Grover RotoMatics!
All in all looks good to me!

The official name would be M-75 CS for the Chrome hardware and Solid body.

IMG_9388.jpg
IMG_9390.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg
IMG_9392.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

12manyaxes

Reaction score
Hi gad..
I remember when you got that guitar..
You beat me to it. If you still have a bluesbird from that time period , would it be to much to ask you to measure the thickness of the body.. Maybe its me but this one looks thinner
Thanks

12manyaxes

Reaction score
Let me help you out with the pictures.

Sure the speedknobs are not original but it should be not too hard to find real black Guild knobs. Just mind the Newark St. guitars might have different shaft thickness, so I am not sure those knobs would fit. Somebody here will know.
I don't think the Grover tuners are original, they should have been Guild stamped Schaller tuners. EDIT: I see you mentioned this already.
Actually the tuners are not too wrong as according to Hans book the early models actually had Grover RotoMatics!
All in all looks good to me!

The official name would be M-75 CS for the Chrome hardware and Solid body.

IMG_9388.jpg
IMG_9390.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg
IMG_9392.jpg

Ralf

Hey why do you have pics of my guitar
That's like having pics of my wife..

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If you still have a bluesbird from that time period , would it be to much to ask you to measure the thickness of the body.. Maybe its me but this one looks thinner

They can vary a bit from one to the next, but the body should be around 1-3/4" thick at the edges.
It could be a bit thinner than the one you had before.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

12manyaxes

Reaction score
They can vary a bit from one to the next, but the body should be around 1-3/4" thick at the edges.
It could be a bit thinner than the one you had before.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hi Hans. I was hoping to hear from you on this one..
This guitar is about 1 9/16 . I personally have never seen a bluesbird this thin.

Thanks
Vin

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hotter than a $2 pistol...:hypnotysed:

Edited: I mean it's really pretty, not stolen.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ok, they might be wrong but for me so right... ;)

Old knobs are like gold, especially @ that price.

Murphy says you can never find them if you need them.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The proper knobs say Volume and Tone on them and are even more difficult to come by. Guild reissued them but the new ones have metric shafts and don't work on vintage guitars.

Guild-1974-M75-Bluesbird-Controls.jpg