M65 Bummer

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought this: https://reverb.com/item/25282742-guild-m-65-freshman-1965-red upside town TRC and all:

jqdbny0u1mvgeaimq9bi.jpg

Unfortunately, I discovered this:

Guild-M65-Freshman-NeckBreakUV.jpg

Guild-M65-Freshman-NeckBreak.jpg

The repair is actually well done. The other problem is that the ad says that it comes with a case and it came in a cheap-*** gig bag.

I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
In other news, the censorship-bot never ceases to amuse me.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That obviously should have been disclosed by the seller! Definitely not "As Described".

What's weird is I have "Guild M 65" on my Reverb feed and I never saw that one! ** edit - wait, yes I did! ***

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Eh - maybe later. It's got a 3/4 serial number.
Yes, but a 3/4 would have 19 or 20 frets, the full size has 22, as this one does. So, serial # notwithstanding, I’d have to say it’s full size.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD, is that "blacklight' photo showing something else wrong besides the headstock repair?

BTW, that serial number makes it a 1968, I think.

walrus

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GAD, is that "blacklight' photo showing something else wrong besides the headstock repair?

BTW, that serial number makes it a 1968, I think.

walrus

(apologies for butt-inski)
What jumped out at me was the sharp contrast at the line a couple of inches down the neck.
Pretty sure the darker area that straddles it represents worn down lacquer from play wear, saw the same thing on my D25 when I blacklit it last week.
The original lacquer really was a milky fluorescent hue except for the wear areas, they were a couple of dark streaks maybe a couple of inches long near the headstock.
And it was the only one to show that.
On this guitar I think we're seeing original lacquer on the bright lower neck and wear at the dark area, and new lacquer above that line.
Can't explain why it's so much darker.
And in fact I cant even tell there's a break under it in the UV photo.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pretty unforgivable to not disclose a headstock repair. Reason enough to return it. A good one will show up.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like ads that tout the headstock repair as a plus ;) We can rebuild it, faster, stronger...

As always, ask more questions, like how is the action, and have you had a recent eye exam, etc...

F312

Reaction score
The buyer needs a hundred eyes, the seller needs none. Bummer indeed.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD, depending on what the final verdict is about all the above, if you keep it to review or whatever, and then want to sell it - Dibs!

I'm not sure what the blacklight photo is intending to show - is it, as Al said, that it has been refinished?

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, but a 3/4 would have 19 or 20 frets, the full size has 22, as this one does. So, serial # notwithstanding, I’d have to say it’s full size.

I agree - it's an "EC" vs. "ED" serial number prefix difference, but it definitely has the full size number of frets! And it's definitely a number from 1968!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seller has offered a partial refund or I can return it. The guitar really does play fine. I mean, it’s old, but you’d never know it was broken from playing it.

I’m tempted to go for the partial refund. The lack of a hard case is a bummer for a hollow guitar, but it will make for a good review and it’s not like I’m out thousands. Plus I’m tired of shipping things back and forth.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Seller has offered a partial refund or I can return it. The guitar really does play fine. I mean, it’s old, but you’d never know it was broken from playing it.

I’m tempted to go for the partial refund. The lack of a hard case is a bummer for a hollow guitar, but it will make for a good review and it’s not like I’m out thousands. Plus I’m tired of shipping things back and forth.

And I'll take it off your hands, assuming I haven't found another one by then!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what I've done. For the final price I have no regrets.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd have done the same, I think. But be advised that it can be hard to find a hard shell case.