Boot Camp

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I went to US Navy Boot Camp on this day, June 18, 1972, 47 years ago.

I enlisted on the buddy plan with two of my friends. The first friend got rejected for a Federal offense (he had blown up some mailboxes with M-80's) and then the day the other friend and I went to Detroit to be sworn in, they found he had an ulcer so he got rejected too!

So there went young Dread on a bus to Great Lakes Naval boot camp alone! 17 years old and one week out of high school. I definitely got to see the world aboard the USS Ranger - Indian Ocean, South China Sea, The Philippines, Yankee Station off the coast of Viet Nam, Gulf of Tonkin. I was an Aviation Electronics Technician on Grumman A-6, EA-6B, and E-2A (carrier-based "Flying Frisbie.") aircraft.

It seems to me I have more memories of those 4 years than the next 40 years. I still keep in contact with most of my Navy buddies.

Haha, here's the first thing we heard when we arrived at Great Lakes and got off the bus: "You guys are in a world of $hit!" That wasn't the last time I'd hear that phrase, LOL.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome home!
I was ahead of you by 10 years and spent my time at Forts Gordon, Benning, and Bragg before shipping out to do my little part for the world as we KNEW it then. It has certainly changed. :mellow:

Joe

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
you guys are awesome! my only real regret in life is not serving in military.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the kudos, guys. We put in our time, but we didn't miss much fun, LOL. Except for "streaking," that all happened when we were in the Far East.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Pretty similar experience for me. Joined the Navy on June 1, 1972. Being in Florida, I did boot camp in Orlando. Then on to Aerographer's Mate "A" school and Air Ocean Environment "C" school at Lakehurst, NJ. Following that, 18 months in Sigonella Sicily and 2 years on the USS America, mostly sitting in Norfolk. But did a North Atlantic cruise and a Med cruise before departing the pattern in 1976.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow Dave, we were in Navy boot camp at the same time, albeit different locations.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Can u even blow up a mailbox with an M80? ;)
I no doubt saved myself from a DD...
With a real M80 and a flimsy enough mailbox,

solar-group-gray-t1-mailbox-st10

NO PROBLEM.
Wile E. Coyote swears by these:
s-l300.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Cherry bombs, silver tubes, and M80s and if I remember, correctly, each one a little more powerful than the other in same order as listed. Those were the days. And with the fuse "poked" through a lighted cigarette, you could get pretty accurate at timing a delayed explosion. And did anyone mention under water.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
A real M-80 from the '60's would blow the smithereens out of most mailboxes.

Stu, my memory has Silver Salutes, Cherry Bombs, and M-80's in that order. And the best all-around little firecrackers were Black Cats, they were hot. Remember "Lady Fingers," the little tiny firecrackers?

M-80's and Cherry Bombs had waterproof fuses; you could go fishing with them.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A real M-80 from the '60's would blow the smithereens out of most mailboxes.

Stu, my memory has Silver Salutes, Cherry Bombs, and M-80's in that order. And the best all-around little firecrackers were Black Cats, they were hot. Remember "Lady Fingers," the little tiny firecrackers?

M-80's and Cherry Bombs had waterproof fuses; you could go fishing with them.

Heard rumors about local teenagers fishing with cherry bombs.
Zebras were the most powerful "regular" firecrackers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I enlisted on the buddy plan with two of my friends. The first friend got rejected for a Federal offense (he had blown up some mailboxes with M-80's)

Y'know, on reflection you'd think they'd-a found a way to make sure they got that guy in.
:glee:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, Al, they did ultimately let him in the Navy. Too late to go to boot camp with me though.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, yeah sign that boy up for the Underwater Demolition Team!

JF-30

Reaction score
I went in a week after my 21st B-day in '87. Did 4 got out and joined the USCG. Life got a lot better.