Father's Day

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, Granddads, Stepdads, etc!

My Dad would have been 98 years old this 4th of July. He passed away 41 years ago on Father's Day, 1978. He landed at Normandy as a US Army Corporal just a few weeks before his 24th birthday. He and his buddies conquered tyranny in Europe at a great cost. He was one of the fortunate ones who lived to tell about it.

My Dad-in-Law was a finish carpenter who would have done Guild Guitars proud - he made the cabinets and bars, etc., and he could bookmatch two pieces of wood to look like one. He was also a WWII Veteran.

I wish they were still around, and I wish I'd asked them a lot more questions!

Oh yeah, here's a "Father" themed song, "This Is My Father's World." I'm leading this one in church tomorrow morning.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0IL74lB4bj25128d6dLo3d&cshid=1560638954106031

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great post, dread!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's on LTG!

walrus

beecee

Reaction score
Happy Fathers day to you all as well!!

Can't wait to see how my 14 yr old daughter will spoil me in the morning!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To all you fathers-Hope this one is "Special."
My Dad would be 121 years on this earth if he were living. He volunteered for WW1 in 1916 as an 18 year old. Turned down because of "sugar."
Things were real simple on our farm and in our family.
You said, "yessir and "nosir," "thank you" and "please" and did not "butt in" when two adults were talking. All six children were taught "respect" sprinkled with a dose of "fear." And my dad didn't spank us-he didn't have to he had that "look." Cannot say that for our sweet .mother--was "switched" by her many times and had to go get the switch she used--I earned each one.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Happy Dad's day everyone who did their duty, in the field or at home, both are tough in their own way. You're a Dad your whole life, always there for emergencies, even when they're in their 30's for me.

Will be 59 here, a bit later this year, 4 grandkids, oldest is 13, Wow!

Times flies like the wind
Fruit flies like bananas (Groucho?)

;-)

dougdnh

Reaction score
My dad was a guitarist in the NY-NJ area, passed away in '07 at 88. He was gigging until he developed parkinson's when he was 85. I have a hand written letter from Charlie Christian to my dad discussing Gibson guitars. I wish I had the patience to learn more jazz theory from my dad when I was a rock and roll guy. Happy father's day!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My dad was a guitarist in the NY-NJ area, passed away in '07 at 88. He was gigging until he developed parkinson's when he was 85. I have a hand written letter from Charlie Christian to my dad discussing Gibson guitars. I wish I had the patience to learn more jazz theory from my dad when I was a rock and roll guy. Happy father's day!

What wonderful memories, Doug!

I wish I'd asked my Dad a lot more questions too, before he passed away. Father's Day is always bittersweet for me because my Dad died on Father's Day 1978; he was only 56 years old.

He loved music; introduced me to Jim Reeves and Johnny Cash and George Jones, etc. He also loved to go to the hymn sing at church once a month on Sunday evenings, and he always took me with him. He had like a Zenith Hi-Fi console in our living room and a whole bunch of albums. We watched Hee-Haw together religiously every Saturday., Music always brought us together, even when I was a rebellious teenager.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, Granddads, Stepdads, etc!

My Dad would have been 98 years old this 4th of July. He passed away 41 years ago on Father's Day, 1978. He landed at Normandy as a US Army Corporal just a few weeks before his 24th birthday. He and his buddies conquered tyranny in Europe at a great cost. He was one of the fortunate ones who lived to tell about it.

My Dad-in-Law was a finish carpenter who would have done Guild Guitars proud - he made the cabinets and bars, etc., and he could bookmatch two pieces of wood to look like one. He was also a WWII Veteran.

I wish they were still around, and I wish I'd asked them a lot more questions!

Oh yeah, here's a "Father" themed song, "This Is My Father's World." I'm leading this one in church tomorrow morning.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...0IL74lB4bj25128d6dLo3d&cshid=1560638954106031

yeah, this is an awesome post Dread. Your dad and father-in-law sound so victorious and cool. My Dad is 79 and we are up in NH for a few weeks, I am working remote and burning like all my vaca time so we could spend time as a family with my folks. My dad has Altzheimers real bad, so he does not remember yesterday or even hours ago. He would not have really cared or known about father's day but i took him for a hot fudge sundae yesterday in the rain. that is his favorite food. he was thrilled but super quiet. he lasted 2 days in the army but they discharged him due to his bad lower back.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
yeah, this is an awesome post Dread. Your dad and father-in-law sound so victorious and cool. My Dad is 79 and we are up in NH for a few weeks, I am working remote and burning like all my vaca time so we could spend time as a family with my folks. My dad has Altzheimers real bad, so he does not remember yesterday or even hours ago. He would not have really cared or known about father's day but i took him for a hot fudge sundae yesterday in the rain. that is his favorite food. he was thrilled but super quiet. he lasted 2 days in the army but they discharged him due to his bad lower back.

Man. finding a cure for Altzheimers is one of my top 3 wishes when it comes to medical breakthroughs. It's just so hard on everybody concerned and it's tough watching somebody you know, love or respect going through that process.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Man. finding a cure for Altzheimers is one of my top 3 wishes when it comes to medical breakthroughs. It's just so hard on everybody concerned and it's tough watching somebody you know, love or respect going through that process.
My brother is 89 and about midway into Altzheimers. Farmed everyday up until last year. Visited him last Thursday and he, too, has gotten very quiet. Such a gentle spirit.
A sad disease, indeed.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

it's really the toughest on the spouse who does not have it, but is caring for the one that does.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood, does your Dad respond when you play and sing?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wood, does your Dad respond when you play and sing?

i hardly play or sing with them. i should try that but right now, giving him a hug when i leave their house for the night and walk across street to house we staying in gets the most out of him.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I bought my dad an Oldsmobile.
He wouldn't take it.
B2TvQn0CEAEL6e1.jpg

He woulda taken this, though:
Picture024_2.jpg

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would just like to encourage you to sing with him; I have found this to be the best therapy for people with Alzheimer's, hands down. "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," "You Are My Sunshine," "I've Been Workin' On The Railroad," This Land Is Your Land," "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," old hymns, etc. I will send you lyrics with chords if you'd like.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would just like to encourage you to sing with him; I have found this to be the best therapy for people with Alzheimer's, hands down. "Let Me Call You Sweetheart," "You Are My Sunshine," "I've Been Workin' On The Railroad," This Land Is Your Land," "Take Me Out To The Ball Game," old hymns, etc. I will send you lyrics with chords if you'd like.

yes, please send me some Dread. I will give them a whirl tonight. thanks! i bet he would love to sing take me out to ballgame. old hymns too