Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Father's Day

Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, Granddads, Stepdads, etc!

My Dad would have been 98 years old this 4th of July. He passed away 41 years ago on Father's Day, 1978. He landed at Normandy as a US Army Corporal just a few weeks before his 24th birthday. He and his buddies conquered tyranny in Europe at a great cost. He was one of the fortunate ones who lived to tell about it.

My Dad-in-Law was a finish carpenter who would have done Guild Guitars proud - he made the cabinets and bars, etc., and he could bookmatch two pieces of wood to look like one. He was also a WWII Veteran.

I wish they were still around, and I wish I'd asked them a lot more questions!

Oh yeah, here's a "Father" themed song, "This Is My Father's World." I'm leading this one in church tomorrow morning.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...60638954106031
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Great post, dread!

Happy Father's Day to all the Dad's on LTG!

walrus
    2011 Guild F-30RCE
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Happy Fathers day to you all as well!!

Can't wait to see how my 14 yr old daughter will spoil me in the morning!
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard, 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog, 2010 F-412, 2010 F-512.

Westerly: Songbird, JF-30-12, 1976 F-212, 1971 D-25 CH, 1982 D-70, F4CE, 1996 D-26

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

Most of the pain associated with my playing comes from having to listen to me. frono

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Happy Fathers day to you all as well!!

Can't wait to see how my 14 yr old daughter will spoil me in the morning!
    Soak it in, pal!

'76 D-25M

To all you fathers-Hope this one is "Special."
    My Dad would be 121 years on this earth if he were living. He volunteered for WW1 in 1916 as an 18 year old. Turned down because of "sugar."
    Things were real simple on our farm and in our family.
    You said, "yessir and "nosir," "thank you" and "please" and did not "butt in" when two adults were talking. All six children were taught "respect" sprinkled with a dose of "fear." And my dad didn't spank us-he didn't have to he had that "look." Cannot say that for our sweet .mother--was "switched" by her many times and had to go get the switch she used--I earned each one.
    1971 Guild D40 "Guild Guitar Inc" label SN 55360
    2001 Chris Bozung Rosewood Dred - Antique Sunburst - "A Dozen Roses"
    2011 Chris Bozung CB "45" Brazilian Rosewood Dread

Happy Dad's day everyone who did their duty, in the field or at home, both are tough in their own way. You're a Dad your whole life, always there for emergencies, even when they're in their 30's for me.

Will be 59 here, a bit later this year, 4 grandkids, oldest is 13, Wow!

Times flies like the wind
    Fruit flies like bananas (Groucho?)

;-)

I never had any children or at least none I'm aware of. One of my biggest regrets I believe.
    '75 D 40 C
    '18 D 40T Custom
    '64 D 50 Braz. RW
    '65 D 50 Braz. RW
    '14 D 55
    '98 D 60
    '86 D 66
    '81 D 70
    '94 DV 72
    '94 DV 73
    '10 F 40 GSR Cocobolo
    '12 F 47 GSR KC
    '08 F 50R
    '09 F 50
    '74 D 55-12
    '07 F 412
    '74 F 512
    '83 G 45
    '87 GF 50R
    '95 JF 100 NAT CRV
    '99 Finesse
    '13 Orpheum Jumbo
    '97 45th Anniv. #45
    '03 D 55 50th Anniv. #23
    '13 F 30 60th Anniv. #17
    '64 S 50
    '57 X 175
    '70's M 75 CS
    '69 Studio 402
    '98 SF 2
    '81 SF 4
    '67 SF 5
    '67 SF 12
    Blues 90X2
    '60 X 150 Savoy

My dad was a guitarist in the NY-NJ area, passed away in '07 at 88. He was gigging until he developed parkinson's when he was 85. I have a hand written letter from Charlie Christian to my dad discussing Gibson guitars. I wish I had the patience to learn more jazz theory from my dad when I was a rock and roll guy. Happy father's day!
    Guild '00 Bluesbird
    Gibson ES-175
    Cort Matt Murphy
    Hagstrom 1980's Viking II
    PRS SE-EG
    Guild AO-5CE
    Martin DC-1E
    Conn FG-11
    Harmony 60's classical
    Harmony 40's Vogue archtop

Quote Originally Posted by dougdnh View Post
    My dad was a guitarist in the NY-NJ area, passed away in '07 at 88. He was gigging until he developed parkinson's when he was 85. I have a hand written letter from Charlie Christian to my dad discussing Gibson guitars. I wish I had the patience to learn more jazz theory from my dad when I was a rock and roll guy. Happy father's day!
    What wonderful memories, Doug!

I wish I'd asked my Dad a lot more questions too, before he passed away. Father's Day is always bittersweet for me because my Dad died on Father's Day 1978; he was only 56 years old.

He loved music; introduced me to Jim Reeves and Johnny Cash and George Jones, etc. He also loved to go to the hymn sing at church once a month on Sunday evenings, and he always took me with him. He had like a Zenith Hi-Fi console in our living room and a whole bunch of albums. We watched Hee-Haw together religiously every Saturday., Music always brought us together, even when I was a rebellious teenager.

'76 D-25M

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Happy Father's Day to all the Dads, Granddads, Stepdads, etc!

My Dad would have been 98 years old this 4th of July. He passed away 41 years ago on Father's Day, 1978. He landed at Normandy as a US Army Corporal just a few weeks before his 24th birthday. He and his buddies conquered tyranny in Europe at a great cost. He was one of the fortunate ones who lived to tell about it.

My Dad-in-Law was a finish carpenter who would have done Guild Guitars proud - he made the cabinets and bars, etc., and he could bookmatch two pieces of wood to look like one. He was also a WWII Veteran.

I wish they were still around, and I wish I'd asked them a lot more questions!

Oh yeah, here's a "Father" themed song, "This Is My Father's World." I'm leading this one in church tomorrow morning.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...60638954106031
    yeah, this is an awesome post Dread. Your dad and father-in-law sound so victorious and cool. My Dad is 79 and we are up in NH for a few weeks, I am working remote and burning like all my vaca time so we could spend time as a family with my folks. My dad has Altzheimers real bad, so he does not remember yesterday or even hours ago. He would not have really cared or known about father's day but i took him for a hot fudge sundae yesterday in the rain. that is his favorite food. he was thrilled but super quiet. he lasted 2 days in the army but they discharged him due to his bad lower back.
    Wood

1971 D25--The Br
    1973 D35 esh

https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal