Nothing Earthbreaking

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, several months ago, I sold my 1965 D 50 to a pretty good friend and a really good guy. He's been a Martin lover all his life. He got ahold of me last week and said you know, this is a fine guitar but I just gotta live with the fact that I'm a Martin kinda guy, so do you want to but it back??? I said I had no cash but was he interested in a certain Martin. He said yes, I'd like a vintage HD 35. So, I went on the hunt and found a good one from a great seller on Ebay. We struck a deal and the end result is that he got the HD 35 and I got my D 50 back. I consider me the winner here but he's happy as well. The only way I could do this is because Ebay/PayPal had a zero interest for 24 months promo going on. I know a lot of folks bad mouth Ebay but I actually like them and they offer several things that make buying pretty easy.

Anyway, the HD 35 came in today and I picked it up and unpackaged it to check it all out. For a 40 year old guitar it was in fine shape. neck angle not perfect but still very good and enough saddle to work with to make it a good buy. I once again noticed (and have done so for years) that the Martin products are just super light. Not exactly sure why but it seems to me that the nut, saddle, strings soundboard and back and sides surely can't be much different from a Guild (or other products) so it must be (I would think) in the neck and headstock. Not sure about that but I would think so.

Now, I've also had several pretty light Guilds but not consistently so. I gotta say, I don't give a damn and I actually prefer the heft of my Guilds. It's just a comfort thing for me and I like it. Of course, I may also be a bit biased.

Time to see if my Black Bear is going to come in for some bird seed tonight.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Richard!! Sounds like you went above and beyond and solved the problems. That's super awesome. So do you now have a D50 for sale? People will want to know..... you know? Good JOB!!! :encouragement:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Time to see if my Black Bear is going to come in for some bird seed tonight.

Are you nuts? :tiger: Man, I would not want no bears around my place! No bird feeders for me! Of course, if a couple deer want to walk around on the deck (and trip off the security cam), that'd be OK....

interlopers.png

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I never faulted the Westerly Guilds for their heft, but I've gotten to the place where I do appreciate lighter guitars. Especially my Orpheum, which weighs in at 3 1/4 lbs! I think the consistently lightest guitar I've found is Santa Cruz.