NAD: Gretsch G6163 Executive Amp

Reaction score
If you also like Gretsch, you probably know how hard it is to get your hands on a Gretsch G6163 Executive Amp (made by Victoria amps). Especially one in great condition.

GretschExecutiveamp-01.jpg

http://chasingguitars.com/gretsch-g6163-executive-amp/

This one is in like new condition and came in original box. I could not pass it up.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Interesting detail :

GretschAmp-14.jpg

Under the INPUT POWER - 120V - 60Hz - 100W first two lines are FINNISH !!! Then Norwegian ( I think ) and finally Swedish . . .
And all these countries have 220-240V grid.

geoguy

Reaction score
Congrats, I know there is a lot of affection for those amps among Gretsch fans!

Reaction score
Hello

Interesting detail :

GretschAmp-14.jpg

Under the INPUT POWER - 120V - 60Hz - 100W first two lines are FINNISH !!! Then Norwegian ( I think ) and finally Swedish . . .
And all these countries have 220-240V grid.

I assume the plate is generic and the Power/serial numbers were just stamped. My guess anyway.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Wow, super nice amp. I’ll bet that ES-350 sounds sweeeet pluged into that!

dbirchett

Reaction score
Congratulations on the amp. These are constantly being discussed (and sought after) over at Gretschpages.com, as you know. I saw your post over there as well.

The Executive is basically a tweaked version of the "vibrato" channel of a Deluxe Reverb. It was designed by Mark Baier of Victoria Amps. He did three, the Playboy, the Executive and the Variety.

One thing that I have noticed about the Executive is that it has a 3-D Character in that the sound seems to envelop you rather than come from a single point. A very cool amp.

bbf6a4c3-635e-43e0-89b1-dda4cad41028.jpg

And yes, that is a JBL D-130F peeking out from behind the grill. This is a really heavy amp to begin with and the JBL added another 10 pounds. Maybe it's a younger man's amp.

Reaction score
Congratulations on the amp. These are constantly being discussed (and sought after) over at Gretschpages.com, as you know. I saw your post over there as well.

The Executive is basically a tweaked version of the "vibrato" channel of a Deluxe Reverb. It was designed by Mark Baier of Victoria Amps. He did three, the Playboy, the Executive and the Variety.

One thing that I have noticed about the Executive is that it has a 3-D Character in that the sound seems to envelop you rather than come from a single point. A very cool amp.

bbf6a4c3-635e-43e0-89b1-dda4cad41028.jpg

And yes, that is a JBL D-130F peeking out from behind the grill. This is a really heavy amp to begin with and the JBL added another 10 pounds. Maybe it's a younger man's amp.

Nice amp, how does it sound with the JBL?

You are quite correct about the weight. I have no intent to road this amp at all. It will stay in my guitar room and will be a great pedal platform. Have not had enough time with it yet as it only arrived today. Can't wait to plug the ES-350 into it as well as a few other guitars. So far it has only seen a Telecaster and one Gretsch 6120EC into it to test it after unboxing. Work gets in the way of fun.

One thing I am curious about, I noticed that some of these amps made by Victoria had a white Gretsch logo (like mine) and some have a more aluminum look. Plus some have front baffle screws and some don't. Not sure if it is related to the year/batch when they were made? They only produced these amps for a short time. I have been looking for one for a few years and grabbed this as soon as I saw it on eBay. It is clean and seller claims only a hour or so of use. Not sure, but was not used much or gigged that I can see as it is super clean.

It is bigger in size that all my other amps and I have a few.... Tone King Imperial MKII, Tone King Royalist 15 watt, Carr Lincoln, Carr Mercury V, Magnatone Panoramic Stereo, 1966 Fender Princeton, 1965 Fender Vibro-Champ... I am out of space so no more amps!

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Mine is a white logo and visible screws myself.

The other color, I believe, is supposed to be gold. Don't know why some were some way and some were not. There has been a little discussion about that. Sounds like you have an embarassing number of super amps. Now you need a Standel.

The JBL sounds fantastic but it was that way when I bought it. Found it on Craigslist and got it for $1250.

If you didn't see it, you might find this thread interesting: http://gretschpages.com/forum/gretsch-amps/survey-how-many-have-one-or-more-of-the-victoria-made-gretsch-amps/65681/page1/

Reaction score
Mine is a white logo and visible screws myself.

The other color, I believe, is supposed to be gold. Don't know why some were some way and some were not. There has been a little discussion about that. Sounds like you have an embarassing number of super amps. Now you need a Standel.

The JBL sounds fantastic but it was that way when I bought it. Found it on Craigslist and got it for $1250.

If you didn't see it, you might find this thread interesting: http://gretschpages.com/forum/gretsch-amps/survey-how-many-have-one-or-more-of-the-victoria-made-gretsch-amps/65681/page1/

Sounds like you got a great deal!

Yes I do have too many amps, especially for someone that does not do gigs. I would love a Standel.