Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Delima F47 vs F50

Delima F47 vs F50

I'm thinking of selling my D50....great guitar...

I'm looking at the F47 and F50....It would have to be a rosewood in either case...

As far as I can see...the only real difference is the F50 has a little larger body...
    Everything else seems to be pretty much identical....

Can anyone point out differences between them that I might want to consider...

I'm strictly a finger picker.....old country blues....folk....very little strumming....

I enjoy my D50R but find I spend more time on my F30R....
    I'm thinking that the 47 or 50 might be a little more bassy....is that a word to use...???
    Looking for a little bigger sound...

Thanks in advance...
    Steve in St Louis

'76 Guild D50NT
    '98 Guild Bluesbird
    '98 Guild F30R
    '82 Guild F20NT
    '10 Guild F412
    '00 National Estralita Delux
    02 National Electro Resonator
    '04 Alvarez Acoustic Bass
    '68 Alvarez Classical
    '20's era Sears Roebuck
    catalog guitar
    '74 Gibson J40

BTW....I believe the nut on the F50 is 1 5/8.....Is the F47 same nut size...???
    Steve in St Louis

'76 Guild D50NT
    '98 Guild Bluesbird
    '98 Guild F30R
    '82 Guild F20NT
    '10 Guild F412
    '00 National Estralita Delux
    02 National Electro Resonator
    '04 Alvarez Acoustic Bass
    '68 Alvarez Classical
    '20's era Sears Roebuck
    catalog guitar
    '74 Gibson J40

My F55E is 1 and 3/4
    Lower bout 17.5
    Compared to the F47 theres a good bit of feel difference . If your comfortable with the F30 the jumbo could make you a bit sore depending on your age ,not a given haha .
    The larger body also shifts the position of the guitar on your lap so if you like leaning over and getting personal with your F30 then this F50 is for those who like to hug a solid woman . 🙂

F-50 has the "G" sheild headstock, AAA spruce top, full binding, and other deluxe appointments not found on the D-50. I'm speaking of vintage F-50's.
    TODAY is the TOMORROW you spent all day YESTERDAY acting like there was no.

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG (gave to my son)
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    My F55E is 1 and 3/4
    Lower bout 17.5
    When did you get an F-55E? Man, I just have missed that!
    2018 Guild F512 Sunburst
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    When did you get an F-55E? Man, I just have missed that!
    I had to redo my response ,
    Here is something you may need. lmao

Dr. Emil NeuroStim - Nootropic Brain Supplement for Memory, Focus, Clarity & Concentration with Huperzine A, DMAE & Glutamic Acid (60 Veggie Capsules) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWSPP4L..._7WLaDb3C2J111

It's in members music . I banter on and mispronounce words you know my norm . 😁

I'd say look for a F-47. As Ray already said, the Grand Orchestra body style is more comfortable compared to the Jumbo. Now nut width is always a question from which periode the guitar is. I am not sure if F-47 and F-50 had different nut width over time.
    Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by stevem5000 View Post
    I'm looking at the F47 and F50....It would have to be a rosewood in either case...

As far as I can see...the only real difference is the F50 has a little larger body...
    Everything else seems to be pretty much identical....
    In broadest terms yes, allowing that F47's (from which the F47 was derived) always had a tad less bling in terms of fretboard inlays and headstock logo.
    Can anyone point out differences between them that I might want to consider...
    I don't think actual F47 models ever got ebony boards/bridges like F50's did although some of the "derivations" did, like the GF55/GF60:
    http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/gf55.html
    An F47 by definition was a 'hog body but there was an F47R (for rosewood) variant available from Tacoma and New Hartford.
    If you don't mind a cutaway:
    The whole "Fxxce" series was based on the F40 body outline and was kicked off in the early 80's.
    Variants followed from there which yielded the F47Rce made consistently from Westerly through New Hartford.
    Those should all have the same 25-5/8 scale with 1-11/16" found on D50's.
    I'm strictly a finger picker.....old country blues....folk....very little strumming....
    Thanks in advance...
    There are those who feel the F30 might actually be the a better a better choice based on Paul Simon and Mississippi John Hurt's rep but you already know what you've got there.
    Theoretically, the bigger the box the louder the output but it's not a given that the bass "presence" will be the same and increase with the size of the box although it does frequently work out that way.
    I'm an F40-body fan myself, but suggest trying out both F50R AND F40R to hear/judge for yourself.
    And ideally from the front of the guitar while somebody else plays, you'd be amazed how different it sounds if you're not already aware, and particularly if you intend to record.
    If not, then just go by what you hear from the playing position, of course.
    For that matter you may want to consider the original F47 'hog body formula, going by the pickguard used on the earliest ones:

Yep, that's original, and it was named the "F47 Bluegrass", and as I often like to say, "Read between those lines."

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    I'd say look for a F-47. As Ray already said, the Grand Orchestra body style is more comfortable compared to the Jumbo. Now nut width is always a question from which period the guitar is. I am not sure if F-47 and F-50 had different nut width over time.
    Ralf
    Never seen anything but the classic 1-11/16" on F47's from all factories.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    F-50 has the "G" sheild headstock, AAA spruce top, full binding, and other deluxe appointments not found on the D-50. I'm speaking of vintage F-50's.
    EXCELLENT point about the triple AAA top, consistent across F50 production but never spec'd on F47's (discounting GSR's from New Hartford) which were typically AA or Adi in Tacoma and New Hartford.
    F50's never got adi, suspect it was seen as overkill on that large of a top, D55's never got it either.
    To be honest though, I actually think the AAA is less visually interesting than the AA, going by the difference between my D40 (AA) and my F65ce (AAA)
    Grading's supposed to be primarily cosmetic, and I'm thinking the if AAA is supposed to be the most consistently silked and colored, you wind up with a very "white bread" top, visually.
    That's my F65ce alright.
    Maybe that was the ideal when the criteria were being created, but:
    MyD40's got a way more interesting top because of the variation in the silking and coloration striping, to me, anyway.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-13-2019 at 07:46 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

BTW....I believe the nut on the F50 is 1 5/8.....Is the F47 same nut size...???
    NEVER saw that size on F50 or F47, see my recap in post 8, always 1-11/16.
    Only time I've seen 1-5/8" nut on that body size is my F65ce and some versions of the Fxxce's, but not the F47ce's.
    To be fair we have seen examples of off-spec nut widths that appear to be "as built", but I'm sure that'd be an extreme rarity with those 2 models.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-13-2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!