Getting a 12 on the 12th ;)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, I Guildedagain...

One of many times lately, may have to update the D35 registry soon.

In this case (original blue velvet lined) I just had to have a vintage 12 at some point, and when one pops up that seems special and the price is just too good to pass up... I call it "temporary insanity". You see it, it's the one. You have to have it. You just get it, before somebody else does. It all happens in a blink, hence the temporary insanity.

I only hope the timing of the Fedex truck is such that [another] big guitar box shows up when significant other is otherwise occupied. It's pretty hard to hide a guitar box, but... I did figure out a new ploy, it works, and it's not lying ;)

In the case of my last one, I said "It's a fixer upper", and so that means it was cheap, and it was a good deal, both true, all good.

This one would be a 1971 F-212 in original case, from CT.

I'm kind of excited to hear this one.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I thought you were talking about my latest round of golf...

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They snuck in and out during the dinner hour somehow, didn't honk for a sig so obviously the seller didn't pay for even $500 insurance, yikes!, very latish but glad I checked again... I'd been on edge all day, waiting, hoping the timing was good.

Snuck it in behind one of the sheds, battling huge mosquitoes... got it out of the totally homemade shipping box that didn't have so much as a scrap anything around the case, but it looked like a guitar (coffin box) so maybe that's why it got here 100% unharmed?

Inside, 20 year old strings strung up too tight and loose dessicant bags inside the body like good luck rattles...

Some tuners would barely budge.

Later got it in the house without detection, not easy...

Btw, these are the prettiest strip tuner buttons ever, totally nail the old Kluson shape, very sturdy shafts, good precision gears.

The guitar is amazingly clean, untampered with ancient strings and even a few vintage coffee splats, haven't tried to clean it and the strings are still on it. Got as far as vacuuming the case today, oiling the tuners.

Next up, destringing, and cleaning.

It's obvious by the state of this guitar that the guys ad about it "sounding amazing like a Guild 12" was undoubtedly mostly unadulterated bs, no one's played this guitar in 20 years.

He also had a busted up F-112, and more than likely they both were obtained at the same estate sale.

Speaking of which, if anyone is reading this, is there a body size difference between an F-112 and an F-212?

This thing is humongus!!

Just because I snuck it into the house doesn't mean that it won't be detected at some point, I mean the case is HUGE!

And then when I play it, oh boy...

Back to work.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Speaking of which, if anyone is reading this, is there a body size difference between an F-112 and an F-212?

Are you sure it's not an F212XL? Guild 12ers came in three sizes back then: F112 (F30 body, 15" lower bout), "regular" F212 (F40 body, 16" lower bout), and F212XL/F412/F512 (jumbo body, 17" lower bout). So it had do be either a "regular" F212 with the 16" lower bout, or the F212XL withe the 17" lower bout.

beecee

Reaction score
I think the 212XL also offered an ebony f/board and bridge...but they could have disappeared years ago if tampered with

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think the 212XL also offered an ebony f/board and bridge...but they could have disappeared years ago if tampered with

They do show that for a '99 on westerlyguildguitars.com, no clue as to how long/when it was offered.
But also think an XL is going to be labeled as such, and think GA's getting wise enough to notice such things.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Guilded. Pics or it didn't happen I believe is the saying. FYI, my proven method of adding to the herd is to have it shipped for pickup at the distribution center or a retail location close by. Then the timing is much easier to manage. I also store a couple "empty guitar boxes" or "spare cases" :wink: in the basement and attic so I always have the same number of (4) guitars in the room. Its one of those modern math problem solving things.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Another problem solved then ;)

It got detected, but then passed off as the D35 with the bad timing, and since I already have a D35... I knew there was no hiding this thing as soon as I started to tune it in earnest, man it had some harmonics and overtones in there that just don't sound like anything else. This is what I wanted when I bought the D4-12 instead, cheaper and vintage Guild 12's are too complicated to just jump into. Anyway, that one is gone, and now this one.

Just like the ad said, amazing, just like a Guild 12 string ;)

Except this one really has the magic. You play it soft and it makes all kinds of little sounds, and then you start playing leads and bending trebles together, I've never heard another one sound like this.

It's actually dangerous... before I got busted and put it away for some "quiet naptime" in the house ;( it had me handbanging like I'm asking for a really sore neck in just a few chords, but I mean virtually involuntarily. It will take you away, and time passes ;)

Anyhoo, it cleaned up real nice, I mean like it's mint, minus a few dings. The worst is where someone who should not do guitar repairs left a huge thumbprint on the top just off the bottom seam, I suppose while he was holding the binding down waiting for superglue to dry would be my guess...

It polished out a little but will always be there, not a biggie.

The top has some of the tightest grain I've seen in the vintage Guilds I've owned, really spectacular.

The richness of the back and sides have you wondering if it's Rosewood, really a stunner.

The action is high, I loosened everything and tightened up the dual TR's, I don't think the TRC had ever been off.

No fret wear.

The ancient strings were; 47-29, 38-17, 28-14, 23-10, 14-14, 12-12
Now Earthwood S&S Soft; 46-26, 36-20, 26-12, 20-09, 12-12, 09-09

It was strung up with those big strings for who knows how many years and there's no doubt it could use a neck reset, and no doubt it's worth it, if you can find someone who doesn't butcher the guitar. But to me, it plays great up by the nut and sounds really freakin good, this is the 12 I always wanted and the price was right.

Back with pics.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe down the road. I imagine the expense and turnaround time are considerable.

Hey, what about Guild? I've heard amazing stories from the Martin repair shop over the years, they've restored many, sometimes for very little money. It would be awesome to have Guild go over it.

In the meantime, a few paltry pics.

Btw, this one shipped from Branford CT, that's less than an hour away from Westerly, only 58 miles away.

The coffin box, zero padding or wrapping, and totally unscathed, good guitar karma in evidence.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Superb case, old leather replacement handle.

large.jpg

And finally... Really gorgeous ambered top.

large.jpg

Post haircut and shave, that really was coffee splats on it, and other assorted grime. Had to bust out the Meguiar's cleaner/wax, overall very easy clean and polish.

large.jpg

A fistful of tuners.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Looks like FEB 12 1971?

large.jpg

A Guild 12 made on the 12th, or finished. Today, as I walked by the atomic clock on my way to work on it, I noticed it read 12:12...

Twelve strings, twelve months, twelve apostles, coincidence?

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
Digging the pics -- nice! Looking forward to your report on sound / playability. I'm very fond of these models -- I have an F112, an F212 and an F212XL.

beecee

Reaction score
really nice.

time to get mine out!!

good luck with that beauty!!

Grassdog

Reaction score
Nice looking F-212, you have a good eye. Your project here reminds me of a '78 F-212XL I acquired about 6 months ago. I ended up getting a neck reset, complete refret, new bridge made, etc. My guitar tech did a beautiful job. I spent almost as much on the repairs as I did on the guitar itself. But man, at the end of the day it was worth it because I have a 40+ year old Guild jumbo 12 that is glorious sounding and plays like butter. Good luck, GA.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Maybe down the road. I imagine the expense and turnaround time are considerable.

Hey, what about Guild? I've heard amazing stories from the Martin repair shop over the years, they've restored many, sometimes for very little money. It would be awesome to have Guild go over it.

Guild's not in the business yet, but personally I'd probably rather go with Fixit anyway for something of that vintage (and even my F65ce, because of complete lack of experience with 'em in Oxnard).
Fixit nee Tom Jacobs actually worked in Westerly in ''78-'79 and rough-cut necks , coincidentally enough.
He mentions it in his first post:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?164313-Newbie.
Also became on of Guild's first authorized repair centers after the CMG acquisition, so it's as close as your gonna get to an actual factory job.
Coupla sample threads:
Genuine luthiery skill set:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?178069-Latest-from-the-Fixit-shop/page2
Expertise with Guild 12's:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185927-69-Custom-F-512-Restoration/page2

Universal 5-star reviews here for work members have had done by him on all 3 points: quality, quick turnaround, and reasonable pricing.
As we know that's supposed to be impossible but I have a suspicion he may be in the category of not really "needing" to work or satisfy investors so he can pick and choose what he wants to do and not "overbook" his time.
Yeah I'm as cost-conscious as anybody but eventually the F65ce's gonna need the bridge reglued and the finish touched up and a fret job and the longer I think about it the more sure I am I'm gonna bite the bullet with the fear of shipping and have him do it.
He's definitely worth "bookmarking", so to speak.

In the meantime, a few paltry pics.

What a difference from the haunted F30 inside, eh?!?
:smile:

miller_stev_rocklove~_101b.jpg

"I don't often covet another man's guitar, but when I do, it's a Guild."

Ya done good, brothah!

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh man, I couldn't get Steve Miller out of my head in those day, Fly like an Eagle...

It sounds like it's Fix It all the way. I like easy solutions ;)

And yes, what a difference, wow... Funny tho that you mention Aragorn, because it comes out of the case occasionally, only to be pitted against the '73 D35, and I did this so many times, I finally realized where the F30's at, the EQ is so radically different. I think it was the day I started playing Blues on it I really started falling in love with it. And then came along the '71 D35 into the mix, with it's bassier quality, and I liked it right away, because it reminded me of the F30 crossed with a D35 ;)

I'll see if I can get couple glamour shots today, while the boss is away.