Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 12 on the 12th ;)

Getting a 12 on the 12th ;)

Yes, I Guildedagain...

One of many times lately, may have to update the D35 registry soon.

In this case (original blue velvet lined) I just had to have a vintage 12 at some point, and when one pops up that seems special and the price is just too good to pass up... I call it "temporary insanity". You see it, it's the one. You have to have it. You just get it, before somebody else does. It all happens in a blink, hence the temporary insanity.

I only hope the timing of the Fedex truck is such that [another] big guitar box shows up when significant other is otherwise occupied. It's pretty hard to hide a guitar box, but... I did figure out a new ploy, it works, and it's not lying ;)

In the case of my last one, I said "It's a fixer upper", and so that means it was cheap, and it was a good deal, both true, all good.

This one would be a 1971 F-212 in original case, from CT.

I'm kind of excited to hear this one.

I thought you were talking about my latest round of golf...

walrus
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce
    2011 Guild F-30RCE

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    ....This one would be a 1971 F-212....
    Major congrats! Wait a minute. Today is the 12th! Today's the day!
    2018 Guild F512 Sunburst
    2011 Guild F50R Sunburst
    2002 Guild JF30-12 Sunburst
    2018 Gibson Ltd. Ed. Songwriter Deluxe 12-string
    2015 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string

1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
    2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Yea, I am waiting for the truck...

They snuck in and out during the dinner hour somehow, didn't honk for a sig so obviously the seller didn't pay for even $500 insurance, yikes!, very latish but glad I checked again... I'd been on edge all day, waiting, hoping the timing was good.

Snuck it in behind one of the sheds, battling huge mosquitoes... got it out of the totally homemade shipping box that didn't have so much as a scrap anything around the case, but it looked like a guitar (coffin box) so maybe that's why it got here 100% unharmed?

Inside, 20 year old strings strung up too tight and loose dessicant bags inside the body like good luck rattles...

Some tuners would barely budge.

Later got it in the house without detection, not easy...

Btw, these are the prettiest strip tuner buttons ever, totally nail the old Kluson shape, very sturdy shafts, good precision gears.

The guitar is amazingly clean, untampered with ancient strings and even a few vintage coffee splats, haven't tried to clean it and the strings are still on it. Got as far as vacuuming the case today, oiling the tuners.

Next up, destringing, and cleaning.

It's obvious by the state of this guitar that the guys ad about it "sounding amazing like a Guild 12" was undoubtedly mostly unadulterated bs, no one's played this guitar in 20 years.

He also had a busted up F-112, and more than likely they both were obtained at the same estate sale.

Speaking of which, if anyone is reading this, is there a body size difference between an F-112 and an F-212?

This thing is humongus!!

Just because I snuck it into the house doesn't mean that it won't be detected at some point, I mean the case is HUGE!

And then when I play it, oh boy...

Back to work.
    Last edited by Guildedagain; 06-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guildedagain View Post
    Speaking of which, if anyone is reading this, is there a body size difference between an F-112 and an F-212?
    Are you sure it's not an F212XL? Guild 12ers came in three sizes back then: F112 (F30 body, 15" lower bout), "regular" F212 (F40 body, 16" lower bout), and F212XL/F412/F512 (jumbo body, 17" lower bout). So it had do be either a "regular" F212 with the 16" lower bout, or the F212XL withe the 17" lower bout.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass, '10 F512NT
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '12 F50 Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

I think the 212XL also offered an ebony f/board and bridge...but they could have disappeared years ago if tampered with
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard, 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog, 2010 F-412, 2010 F-512.

Westerly: Songbird, JF-30-12, 1976 F-212, 1971 D-25 CH, 1982 D-70, F4CE, 1996 D-26, 1972 F-30

Westerly Series OM-140 SB

Ibanez V-302

Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

Most of the pain associated with my playing comes from having to listen to me. frono

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    I think the 212XL also offered an ebony f/board and bridge...but they could have disappeared years ago if tampered with
    They do show that for a '99 on westerlyguildguitars.com, no clue as to how long/when it was offered.
    But also think an XL is going to be labeled as such, and think GA's getting wise enough to notice such things.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-13-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Congrats Guilded. Pics or it didn't happen I believe is the saying. FYI, my proven method of adding to the herd is to have it shipped for pickup at the distribution center or a retail location close by. Then the timing is much easier to manage. I also store a couple "empty guitar boxes" or "spare cases" in the basement and attic so I always have the same number of (4) guitars in the room. Its one of those modern math problem solving things.
    1979 Guild F-112 SB (Natalie)
    1996 Guild A-50 (Angelica)
    2011 Guild F-30CE
    2012 Guild F-30R (Rosie)
    2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
    --- Sold but not forgotten ---
    2012 Guild F-30
    2015 Alvarez MFA-70
    2015 Martin OM-28 VTS
    2016 Alvarez AF-60
    1990 Gibson ES-347

Another problem solved then ;)

It got detected, but then passed off as the D35 with the bad timing, and since I already have a D35... I knew there was no hiding this thing as soon as I started to tune it in earnest, man it had some harmonics and overtones in there that just don't sound like anything else. This is what I wanted when I bought the D4-12 instead, cheaper and vintage Guild 12's are too complicated to just jump into. Anyway, that one is gone, and now this one.

Just like the ad said, amazing, just like a Guild 12 string ;)

Except this one really has the magic. You play it soft and it makes all kinds of little sounds, and then you start playing leads and bending trebles together, I've never heard another one sound like this.

It's actually dangerous... before I got busted and put it away for some "quiet naptime" in the house ;( it had me handbanging like I'm asking for a really sore neck in just a few chords, but I mean virtually involuntarily. It will take you away, and time passes ;)

Anyhoo, it cleaned up real nice, I mean like it's mint, minus a few dings. The worst is where someone who should not do guitar repairs left a huge thumbprint on the top just off the bottom seam, I suppose while he was holding the binding down waiting for superglue to dry would be my guess...

It polished out a little but will always be there, not a biggie.

The top has some of the tightest grain I've seen in the vintage Guilds I've owned, really spectacular.

The richness of the back and sides have you wondering if it's Rosewood, really a stunner.

The action is high, I loosened everything and tightened up the dual TR's, I don't think the TRC had ever been off.

No fret wear.

The ancient strings were; 47-29, 38-17, 28-14, 23-10, 14-14, 12-12
    Now Earthwood S&S Soft; 46-26, 36-20, 26-12, 20-09, 12-12, 09-09

It was strung up with those big strings for who knows how many years and there's no doubt it could use a neck reset, and no doubt it's worth it, if you can find someone who doesn't butcher the guitar. But to me, it plays great up by the nut and sounds really freakin good, this is the 12 I always wanted and the price was right.

Back with pics.
    Last edited by Guildedagain; 06-14-2019 at 12:35 AM.