Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Used 2005 Starfire IV vs New Starfire VI

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    In great condition with the original case my magic number is $1200. I consider anything below that to be a good deal. If it’s been therr for a year I’d start negotiations at $900, but with consignment they’re at the mercy of what the owner thinks it’s worth.

I happen to have a Corona sunburst SF4 here if you’d like to know any details about them.
    I was thinking of offering 1000, but may start with 900. But I will get the serial # first.

Yes, anything you want to share about your SF4 would be appreciated.

Almost all of the major big box stores advertise a certain number of inspection points. I know for sure that Sweetwater advertises a 55 point inspection. They claim to have excellent action right out of the shipping box. Action is subjective, but manufacture errors are not and should be caught/noticed prior to shipping.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GSFV View Post
    Almost all of the major big box stores advertise a certain number of inspection points. I know for sure that Sweetwater advertises a 55 point inspection. They claim to have excellent action right out of the shipping box. Action is subjective, but manufacture errors are not and should be caught/noticed prior to shipping.
    Got it. Thanks. I wonder if any of the "offending" NS guitars were sold by Sweetwater (which would suggest their inspection process is imperfect)?
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Frono: You are correct----again.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

There's a Corona Starfire IV in sunburst on eBay right now for $1100+ shipping with a make offer button: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Starf...AAAOSwOXlc~-Gp

It's not mint, but the flaws are relatively minor. Also the knobs and pickup selector switch tip aren't original.

'70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X160 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000s | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | B-90 | BB-90 | X160R | X500T | D55 ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 | D55 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

The serial number on that Starfire IV is CW000164. Can anyone help me understand what that means and what something like that is worth in good condition? I will ask this as a new thread in hopes of getting a quicker answer as I will be checking it out and possibly be making an offer tomorrow. Thanks all. You guys are great!

Thatís answered above in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    There's a Corona Starfire IV in sunburst on eBay right now for $1100+ shipping with a make offer button: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-Starf...AAAOSwOXlc~-Gp

It's not mint, but the flaws are relatively minor. Also the knobs and pickup selector switch tip aren't original.

That is a beautiful sunburst! Guild does bursts well.
    Don

Guild X-170-T
    Guild Starfire V
    G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow
    Gretsch 6119-1962HT Tennessee Rose
    Gretsch 6120 DC
    Gretsch 5422-12
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Fender '90s Custom Telecaster

So, I went into the store today. It is a guitar repair shop that also sells guitars and amps on consignment. This Starfire has been there at least a year. I played it through a Fender Deluxe, Victoria Bassman, and a Peavey Classic 30. Sounded sweet through all of them. Stayed nicely in tune and intonated. Felt solid and smooth. No frills, but a solid workhorse with great tone. I played around for quite awhile with the pickup combinations dialing in different volumes and EQs blending the pickups. Lots of sweet versatility.

He was asking $1400. So I offered the store keeper $900. He called the owner and the owner said YES. I was willing to go up to $1000. But it had been sitting in the shop for so long I took a chance he would take a nice low ball offer, and he did. Very happy about it. It comes with original hard shell case in great shape. The store keeper said the owner was more of a studio guy and not a gigging guy, so the case never got banged up on the road.

Looks very similar to the one posted above but the sunburst color is a shade browner than the one above. I would post a pick but I don't know how.

Thanks to you all for all your help. I now have an X-170, a Bluesbird with a Bigsby (both a beautiful blond), and a Sunburst Starfire IV. I think I will sell my Gibson Custom Shop Larry Carlton ES335. I love that guitar except for the thin neck. The neck on this Starfire is much better for me.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by jiagap View Post
    Thanks to you all for all your help. I now have an X-170, a Bluesbird with a Bigsby (both a beautiful blond), and a Sunburst Starfire IV. I think I will sell my Gibson Custom Shop Larry Carlton ES335. I love that guitar except for the thin neck. The neck on this Starfire is much better for me.

cheers!
    Thanks for the update, congrats and ya done good!!!

I'll leave it for somebody else to help with the posting pics , I gotta run.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Nice! I love it when we can help someone score a nice guitar for a nice price!