Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Used 2005 Starfire IV vs New Starfire VI

Congrats! $900 is a hell of a deal on a great guitar. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come and it sounds like you have a nice collection of Guilds that it is joining. Look forward to hearing more about it in the future.

To post pics here you have to host or upload them elsewhere like imgur, imageshack, or even a craigslist ad. Then you right click on the image at your hosting site and copy the image address of the photo. After that you click on the picture frame icon on top of the posting window here on the forum and paste the image address into the slot that pops up. Viola, Your photo is now visible in your posting. I think it allows up to 8 images per individual post.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

TX
    Last edited by txbumper57; 06-15-2019 at 12:07 AM.
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

"Steve, you are a man of many goats."~ capnjuan

"Alternatively, you could just go the ultra-relic route with it. Basically go for a look that says the amp was on fire and they put it out using belt sanders."
    (amps - I need a "99" & "50")

Guild resale prices seem to be pretty low. I have been trying to sell a 2015 NS Starfire III at a crazy low price in mint condition with no takers. I bought my Corona SF III for $850. Why would anyone buy new unless of course that was discounted as well. I do not think this is good for Cordoba or Guild but great if you are buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark WW View Post
    Guild resale prices seem to be pretty low. I have been trying to sell a 2015 NS Starfire III at a crazy low price in mint condition with no takers. I bought my Corona SF III for $850. Why would anyone buy new unless of course that was discounted as well. I do not think this is good for Cordoba or Guild but great if you are buying.
    Well for me warranty was a big issue.
    (Still is)
    And to a somewhat lesser degree, the whole "Virgin Bride" element of being the first owner.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Paying double for a guitar just to get a warranty makes no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Paying double for a guitar just to get a warranty makes no sense to me.
    OK I'm taking that as a bit of hyperbole, I didn't pay list for any of mine, but it was a mandatory non-negotiable item when I was shopping for my first "good" one which led to the D25.
    I just didn't want to have to worry about inheriting somebody else's possibly unknown-even-to-them's problems either.
    I was also completely unaware of a lot of the stuff that I've learned since joining here, like evaluating a neck angle, for example.
    I barely knew about checking for loose braces.
    So from my perspective it led to a very wise investment in that brand-new D25.
    $700.00 OTD for a $1199.00 list I think it was.
    So I humbly submit that there's a significant market segment out there for whom such niceties are worth the price.
    Granted I never used it, and who would have thought Fender would ever render my warranty(s) "questionable"?
    But I considered it to be like insurance and the basic premise still holds.
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    OK I'm taking that as a bit of hyperbole, I didn't pay list for any of mine, but it was a mandatory non-negotiable item when I was shopping for my first "good" one which led to the D25.
    I just didn't want to have to worry about inheriting somebody else's possibly unknown-even-to-them's problems either.
    I was also completely unaware of a lot of the stuff that I've learned since joining here, like evaluating a neck angle, for example.
    I barely knew about checking for loose braces.
    So from my perspective it led to a very wise investment in that brand-new D25.
    $700.00 OTD for a $1199.00 list I think it was.
    So I humbly submit that there's a significant market segment out there for whom such niceties are worth the price.
    Granted I never used it, and who would have thought Fender would ever render my warranty(s) "questionable"?
    But I considered it to be like insurance and the basic premise still holds.
    Maybe for an acoustic.

I've easily payed half of the street price for Newark St. Guilds (the subject of this thread) and would absolutely not pay full price for one.
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000 | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post
    Maybe for an acoustic.
    I've easily payed half of the street price for Newark St. Guilds (the subject of this thread) and would absolutely not pay full price for one.
    Yes, no argument but my post was in response to the specific question "why would anybody buy new"?

And in fact the subject of the thread is the question of whether to buy a new NS or a used Corona, and I avoided the warranty issue at the time because I myself have a prejudice in favor US-built and it's not an apples-to-apples comparison as folks like yourself made clear in a more diplomatic fashion than I felt capable of.
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-18-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    Al
    All bought new!

If you are patient, you can usually pick up a Westerly or Corona SFIV, SFIII, Bluesbird or even an X-170 for about a grand or so. I wouldn't think that anyone would pay close to that for a Newark Street. Not to take anything away from a Newark Street, as they are very nice guitars. Now when the Newarks are around $500, that may be another issue. That was kind of the same situation with the DeArmond Guitars or the Epiphone Elitist models. Everyone thought they were overpriced and they eventually got blown out. Then they became extremely popluar and everyone wanted them ... at the blow out prices. Still wish that I had jumped on a few of those.
    Don

Guild X-170-T
    Guild Starfire V
    G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow
    Gretsch 6119-1962HT Tennessee Rose
    Gretsch 6120 DC
    Gretsch 5422-12
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Fender '90s Custom Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by dbirchett View Post
    If you are patient, you can usually pick up a Westerly or Corona SFIV, SFIII, Bluesbird or even an X-170 for about a grand or so. I wouldn't think that anyone would pay close to that for a Newark Street. Not to take anything away from a Newark Street, as they are very nice guitars. Now when the Newarks are around $500, that may be another issue. That was kind of the same situation with the DeArmond Guitars or the Epiphone Elitist models. Everyone thought they were overpriced and they eventually got blown out. Then they became extremely popluar and everyone wanted them ... at the blow out prices. Still wish that I had jumped on a few of those.
    Almost every NS guitar I've bought I've paid around $500 for with the exception of the goldtop Aristocrat and the SFIII. Sometimes it takes time to score them at that price, but if you want to talk about losing money on resale, then Newark St. is a good focus because not only are they not getting much on resale, but the market is flooded with them, too.

At least there's an interest in them. Try selling an '80s Guild S270. Yeesh.
    '70s: [ S70 | S300ADs ]
    '80s: [ X79-3 | X80s | X82 | X100 | X175 | S281 | BHM1 ]
    '80s: [ Detonator | Liberator + Elite | SF4 | AA ]
    '90s: [ S100 | X170 | X170T | SF3,5 | BB | NB | NB DX ]
    '90s: [ X2000 | X3000 | X4000 | DV72 | BHM1 | JF30-12 | Songbird ]
    '00s: [ SF3 | SF4 | BB-90 | X160R ]
    '10s:
    [ Jetstar | R30 ]

My Reviews: GADsGuilds.com