Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

  1. #21
    Thanks Ralf and everyone else! I'm looking forward to it. So, I had an electric that I figured to sell, and thought I would do something fun with the money. I do have some other nice guitars, but the Adirondack will be new to me, all my other stuff is Sitka. Also, my other mahogany guitars are short scale Gibsons- a J-45 and L-00 and such- so having a long scale mahogany dread will go well with my collection. I had considered a D-18 and such, but I'm feeling fairly certain that the D-40 will more that satisfy my needs in that department.

    Also, one thing that I am very excited about is the bone saddle, bridge pins, and nut. It's kind of nice knowing that I have a guitar with the best parts already on there so I don't have to spend the first couple of weeks replacing cheaper components.

    Thanks for all the advice and knowledge, I'll be sure to give a little review when it arrives. I appreciate it!
    Last edited by Larry Mal; 06-12-2019 at 02:45 PM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    25,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GardMan View Post
    From the shape of the pickguard and the open back tuners, I am thinking that D-40 is made in New Hartford... maybe an early one. Can't say whether or not it is Adirondack spruce, tho'...
    Only the Traditionals got chesterfields and they were "D40 Bluegrass Jubilees" by definition; it was the formal model name.
    And those got adi tops.
    And open tuners were introduced in New Hartford (after at least 20 years of use of closed tuners). [EDIT 6/14/19: I'm mortified to have to admit I just saw Tacoma F47's sporting open tuners. ]

    The lack of label is a bit problematic in this case since they stopped stamping the s/n in the headstock in Tacoma (actually '05-'08 production, that listing was still wrong); but the open tuners narrow it down to New Hartford.
    Lack of chesterfield on the headstock and a satin finished neck would have made it a D40 Standard and adi was NOT used on those.
    Some of the later NH D40's got a beautiful rosewood headstock overlay, so believe this must date from '10-'12.
    Web capture of the NH Catalog as of Apr 5 '12:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120405...mpleContained2

    Quote Originally Posted by bronzeback View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
    Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top.
    The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top.
    Yes I did notice that a couple of days ago when I was looking for something else, but I did think they'd dropped adi completely at the time, thanks!
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
    I have owned close to 20 New Hartford Guilds and still have quite a few including some really rare models. They are kind of my specialty, LOL. I have owned 2 of the D40 "Traditional" or more commonly referred to as the "Bluegrass" models like the one you purchased. They are Awesome guitars. The way to pinpoint New Hartford production is a combination of the Open tuners, Back and sides finish color, Chesterfield Headstock Logo, Ebony Face plate on the Headstock, and a few other things. New Hartford is my favorite time period of construction for Guild Guitars (2009-2014) as they really found some magic in that time period with the combo of wood selection, construction techniques, and craftsmanship. I think you are going to be really happy with that D40, Congrats and can't wait to hear what you think of it!

    Also earlier it was mentioned about a rosewood headstock faceplate on a New Hartford D40. As far as I know the Traditional models only got solid Ebony faceplates and the Standard models were the ones that got the Rosewood faceplates. Just my recollection but I could be wrong.

    TX
    Last edited by txbumper57; 06-12-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

    Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

  4. #24
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    25,793
    Quote Originally Posted by txbumper57 View Post
    Also earlier it was mentioned about a rosewood headstock faceplate on a New Hartford D40. As far as I know the Traditional models only got solid Ebony faceplates and the Standard models were the ones that got the Rosewood faceplates. Just my recollection but I could be wrong.

    TX
    Check the link I posted to the Apr 5 '12 web capture for the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee ( a "Traditional Series" model), rosewood faceplate with a chesterfield in the "images":
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120405...mpleContained2
    Whoopsie my bad, that's the ebony faceplate as you said.
    Looked like rosewood in the small image until I blew it up.
    The difference is more apparent when compared to the D40 Standard pic
    Still, "Standards" never got chesterfields regardless of the faceplate woods, right?
    Last edited by adorshki; 06-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  5. #25
    Thanks for the great advice. Frankly, I had my eye on that guitar but base on the seller's not quite knowing what he had, and my complete inability to know what this guitar was, I was going to skip it. I'm glad I didn't! I think I'll have it with me early next week or so, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how I find it.

  6. #26
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    25,793
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    Also, one thing that I am very excited about is the bone saddle, bridge pins, and nut. It's kind of nice knowing that I have a guitar with the best parts already on there so I don't have to spend the first couple of weeks replacing cheaper components.
    Good points, I tend to forget about that myself.
    To be honest I didn't pay much attention to New Hartfords at first due to those open tuners and the fact that they went to mediums (.013-.056) on all the dreadnoughts.
    (and I already had all the guitars I could handle)
    Speaking of strings, in case the question comes up, those would have been D'Addario EXP-17's, coated pb's.
    But as they ramped up output and new owner reviews came in, I had to take into account the weight of opinion from so many new owners with a lot more experience than myself that they may be the best Guilds ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    Thanks for all the advice and knowledge, I'll be sure to give a little review when it arrives. I appreciate it!
    Please do!
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Check the link I posted to the Apr 5 '12 web capture for the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee ( a "Traditional Series" model), rosewood faceplate with a chesterfield in the "images":
    https://web.archive.org/web/20120405...mpleContained2
    Whoopsie my bad, that's the ebony faceplate as you said.
    Looked like rosewood in the small image until I blew it up.
    The difference is more apparent when compared to the D40 Standard pic
    Still, "Standards" never got chesterfields regardless of the faceplate woods, right?
    No big deal, Some of the Ebony headcaps on the Traditional series had some nice striping to them so it is easy from a distance to sometimes mistake them for a dark rosewood. You are correct in that the Standard series never got the Chesterfield inlay on the headstock, Just the Guild Rooftop shaped script.


    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mal View Post
    Thanks for the great advice. Frankly, I had my eye on that guitar but base on the seller's not quite knowing what he had, and my complete inability to know what this guitar was, I was going to skip it. I'm glad I didn't! I think I'll have it with me early next week or so, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how I find it.
    No Problem. Be careful though, New Hartford Guilds are a slippery slope. You get one and find out how wonderful they are and the next thing you know they start multiplying, LOL!

    TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem, 2000 JF65-CE
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Brz #10 of 50, 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2011 F212XL STD, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS, 2014 GSR X500D

    Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •