Tacoma era Richie Havens D-40

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Thanks Ralf and everyone else! I'm looking forward to it. So, I had an electric that I figured to sell, and thought I would do something fun with the money. I do have some other nice guitars, but the Adirondack will be new to me, all my other stuff is Sitka. Also, my other mahogany guitars are short scale Gibsons- a J-45 and L-00 and such- so having a long scale mahogany dread will go well with my collection. I had considered a D-18 and such, but I'm feeling fairly certain that the D-40 will more that satisfy my needs in that department.

Also, one thing that I am very excited about is the bone saddle, bridge pins, and nut. It's kind of nice knowing that I have a guitar with the best parts already on there so I don't have to spend the first couple of weeks replacing cheaper components.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge, I'll be sure to give a little review when it arrives. I appreciate it!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.
From the shape of the pickguard and the open back tuners, I am thinking that D-40 is made in New Hartford... maybe an early one. Can't say whether or not it is Adirondack spruce, tho'...

Only the Traditionals got chesterfields and they were "D40 Bluegrass Jubilees" by definition; it was the formal model name.
And those got adi tops.
And open tuners were introduced in New Hartford (after at least 20 years of use of closed tuners). [EDIT 6/14/19: I'm mortified to have to admit I just saw Tacoma F47's sporting open tuners. :eek-new: ]

The lack of label is a bit problematic in this case since they stopped stamping the s/n in the headstock in Tacoma (actually '05-'08 production, that listing was still wrong); but the open tuners narrow it down to New Hartford.
Lack of chesterfield on the headstock and a satin finished neck would have made it a D40 Standard and adi was NOT used on those.
Some of the later NH D40's got a beautiful rosewood headstock overlay, so believe this must date from '10-'12.
Web capture of the NH Catalog as of Apr 5 '12:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012040...ts/details?partno=3856300837#simpleContained2

Use of adi bracing on all models and adi tops on the "Bluegrass" models started in Tacoma and was continued in NH.
Oxnard doesn't mention Adi at all.The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top.
The "Traditional" D40 in current production does use the Adi Bracing/Sitka top.
Yes I did notice that a couple of days ago when I was looking for something else, but I did think they'd dropped adi completely at the time, thanks!

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
And just out of curiosity, how are you able to pinpoint it as a New Hartford model so clearly? I'm just trying to learn a little more about Guilds and all.

I have owned close to 20 New Hartford Guilds and still have quite a few including some really rare models. They are kind of my specialty, LOL. I have owned 2 of the D40 "Traditional" or more commonly referred to as the "Bluegrass" models like the one you purchased. They are Awesome guitars. The way to pinpoint New Hartford production is a combination of the Open tuners, Back and sides finish color, Chesterfield Headstock Logo, Ebony Face plate on the Headstock, and a few other things. New Hartford is my favorite time period of construction for Guild Guitars (2009-2014) as they really found some magic in that time period with the combo of wood selection, construction techniques, and craftsmanship. I think you are going to be really happy with that D40, Congrats and can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Also earlier it was mentioned about a rosewood headstock faceplate on a New Hartford D40. As far as I know the Traditional models only got solid Ebony faceplates and the Standard models were the ones that got the Rosewood faceplates. Just my recollection but I could be wrong.

TX

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also earlier it was mentioned about a rosewood headstock faceplate on a New Hartford D40. As far as I know the Traditional models only got solid Ebony faceplates and the Standard models were the ones that got the Rosewood faceplates. Just my recollection but I could be wrong.

TX
Check the link I posted to the Apr 5 '12 web capture for the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee ( a "Traditional Series" model), rosewood faceplate with a chesterfield in the "images":
https://web.archive.org/web/2012040...ts/details?partno=3856300837#simpleContained2
Whoopsie my bad, that's the ebony faceplate as you said.
Looked like rosewood in the small image until I blew it up.
The difference is more apparent when compared to the D40 Standard pic
Still, "Standards" never got chesterfields regardless of the faceplate woods, right?

Last edited:

Larry Mal

Reaction score
Thanks for the great advice. Frankly, I had my eye on that guitar but base on the seller's not quite knowing what he had, and my complete inability to know what this guitar was, I was going to skip it. I'm glad I didn't! I think I'll have it with me early next week or so, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how I find it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also, one thing that I am very excited about is the bone saddle, bridge pins, and nut. It's kind of nice knowing that I have a guitar with the best parts already on there so I don't have to spend the first couple of weeks replacing cheaper components.
Good points, I tend to forget about that myself.
To be honest I didn't pay much attention to New Hartfords at first due to those open tuners and the fact that they went to mediums (.013-.056) on all the dreadnoughts.
(and I already had all the guitars I could handle)
Speaking of strings, in case the question comes up, those would have been D'Addario EXP-17's, coated pb's.
But as they ramped up output and new owner reviews came in, I had to take into account the weight of opinion from so many new owners with a lot more experience than myself that they may be the best Guilds ever made.
Thanks for all the advice and knowledge, I'll be sure to give a little review when it arrives. I appreciate it!
Please do!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Check the link I posted to the Apr 5 '12 web capture for the D40 Bluegrass Jubilee ( a "Traditional Series" model), rosewood faceplate with a chesterfield in the "images":
Whoopsie my bad, that's the ebony faceplate as you said.
Looked like rosewood in the small image until I blew it up.
The difference is more apparent when compared to the D40 Standard pic
Still, "Standards" never got chesterfields regardless of the faceplate woods, right?

No big deal, Some of the Ebony headcaps on the Traditional series had some nice striping to them so it is easy from a distance to sometimes mistake them for a dark rosewood. You are correct in that the Standard series never got the Chesterfield inlay on the headstock, Just the Guild Rooftop shaped script.

Thanks for the great advice. Frankly, I had my eye on that guitar but base on the seller's not quite knowing what he had, and my complete inability to know what this guitar was, I was going to skip it. I'm glad I didn't! I think I'll have it with me early next week or so, so I'll be sure to let everyone know how I find it.

No Problem. Be careful though, New Hartford Guilds are a slippery slope. You get one and find out how wonderful they are and the next thing you know they start multiplying, LOL!

TX