NGD: 1949 Gibson ES-350

Reaction score
A beauty! (please, PLEASE, don’t put a Bigsby on it.)

Yes, I have reservations on adding the Bigsby, but most of my guitars have one and I miss it. It should be reversible and not leave much in marks! I am still thinking about it.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yes, ES-350T thinline had a short 23.5 scale (like the Byrdland) and replaced the ES-350 in 1956. I never had the chance to play one and the vintage ones also go for crazy prices most times.

Yep. I was able to pick up this one for a less crazy than usual price 'cuz it had gone back to the Gibson factory in the mid-'60s for some "upgrades": Byrdland ebony fretboard & fancy binding; Johnny Smith ebony bridge base with pearl inlays; a replacement pickguard for the outgassing & crumbling original; and a Bigsby in place of the original trapeze. Original killer sounding lower-wind PAFs.

I'd hesitate to put a Bigsby on your 350, but as with mine I wouldn't complain if someone else had already done it. ;)

-Dave-

Reaction score
Yep. I was able to pick up this one for a less crazy than usual price 'cuz it had gone back to the Gibson factory in the mid-'60s for some "upgrades": Byrdland ebony fretboard & fancy binding; Johnny Smith ebony bridge base with pearl inlays; a replacement pickguard for the outgassing & crumbling original; and a Bigsby in place of the original trapeze. Original killer sounding lower-wind PAFs.

I'd hesitate to put a Bigsby on your 350, but as with mine I wouldn't complain if someone else had already done it. ;)

-Dave-

Yeah, will take a lot of thought about adding the Bigsby. After seeing Paul Pigat’s ES-350N with an added Bigsby is why I was so inspired.... BUT it won’t make me play like him, LOL

Reaction score
What is the scale? 24.75"? 25.5"?

Gibson ES-350 is 25.5 scale.

Gibson ES-350T mentioned here is a thin line 23.5 scale like the Gibson Byrdland.

The dimensions of the ES-350 are close to my Guild X500T. But the Guild is 24.75

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Gibson ES-350T mentioned here is a thin line 23.5 scale like the Gibson Byrdland.

Yep. The classic Chuck Berry guitar, originally made from 1955–1963 (and reissued at least once since). It was also one of the first three guitars to be outfitted with Gibson's new humbucking pickup, in 1957, and was considered the "high end" model of that trio. (The low end model was the ES-175 while the mid line guitar was the Les Paul goldtop.)

IMO P90s shine in long-scale Gibson archtops like the full-size 350. The hollow body dips the mids some, increasing clarity and reducing the gritty/barky tendencies of higher wind pickups, while the longer scale adds snap to the high end.

-Dave-

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I can't believe I missed this, Need to start scrolling further down the page more often. That is absolutely Amazing Chasing, Big time Congrats on a Beautiful Piece! I imagine it plays and sounds as good as it looks which means it ought to sound like a choir of angels singing. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

TX

Reaction score
I can't believe I missed this, Need to start scrolling further down the page more often. That is absolutely Amazing Chasing, Big time Congrats on a Beautiful Piece! I imagine it plays and sounds as good as it looks which means it ought to sound like a choir of angels singing. I hope you enjoy it for a long time to come.

TX

Thanks. It sounds great and plays great. Quite a special one I think.