NGD: 1949 Gibson ES-350

Reaction score
ES-350-02.jpg

Purchased a fantastic condition 1949 Gibson ES-350 beauty. It came today and its glorious. Looking forward to some nice time this weekend with it when I have more time to enjoy.

You can see the entire review, pictures here

Gibson built some of the best archtop electrics in this era. But my Guild guitars compare nicely and are still a bargain for vintage as compared to Gibson IMHO.

ES-350 was on my wish list for a while and was glad to have been able to make a deal on this one.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Goodness gracious that’s beautiful. P-90’s+archtops= Guitar heaven. You’re in for some fun with that.
Congratulations and enjoy!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! That's beautiful!! Is that the original finish on that guitar? Just curious because it's so even and clean. Anyway, congratulations!! :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow!! That's beautiful!! Is that the original finish on that guitar? Just curious because it's so even and clean. Anyway, congratulations!! :encouragement:

From the review:
"The guitar has very light play wear. The finish is glossy with very minor checking and light scuffs and surface scratches"
Obviously photographs well when polished up though.
:friendly_wink:
And yeah, congrats, "CG" !

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Oooh, that's handsome! I've got a thinner, short-scale ES-350 but this earlier version is a different thing: warm & rich where the thinline is bright & snappy. It oughta play & sound killer. Congrats!

-Dave-

gilded

Reaction score
I had a blonde one back in the mid-90s. The guitar had been in an attic for years and the top was flattened. My luthier got rid of most of the flatness and that guitar was a wonderful thing to play. I played it one night with a friend on a B3 who could play foot pedals well and it was a blast, one of my all time favorite sounds.

I might have sold it to a Belgian gent, Walter. Have you ever run across a Blonde 350 with a slightly flattened top?

harry aka gilded

Reaction score
I believe it is. Must have been a case guess for many years. I could not see any over stray. Looks original to me.

Reaction score
Walter, these things sometimes sell for crazy prices. It was on my list for awhile as well. But this one was sold at a reasonable price or I would not have been able to afford one. I think I scored on this guitar. Pretty happy so far.

I may end up putting a Bigsby on it one day (like Paul Pigat has on his natural one), but will keep it like this while I bond with it.

Reaction score
From the review:
"The guitar has very light play wear. The finish is glossy with very minor checking and light scuffs and surface scratches"
Obviously photographs well when polished up though.
:friendly_wink:
And yeah, congrats, "CG" !

Thanks

Reaction score
Oooh, that's handsome! I've got a thinner, short-scale ES-350 but this earlier version is a different thing: warm & rich where the thinline is bright & snappy. It oughta play & sound killer. Congrats!

-Dave-

Yes, ES-350T thinline had a short 23.5 scale (like the Byrdland) and replaced the ES-350 in 1956. I never had the chance to play one and the vintage ones also go for crazy prices most times.