2012 D50 Question

Nid2007

Reaction score
Hi,
I came upon a G45 a few months ago, and fell in love on first strum. Now I purchased my second Guild in 2 months, a 2012 D50.
Here is a link to the D50 coming my way https://www.soundpure.com/p/guild-d-50-trad-w-dtar-spruce-rosewood-np083002-used/23227

I’d like to know if it had a pick guard when it left the factory in 2012. And if it did, can anyone recommend a place to buy a nice replacement?

When I search the web, I come across D-50 “standards” and “Bluegrass Specials” from 2012, but nothing listed as simply D-50 Traditional.

Any info appreciated!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool. Congrats! I think that sunburst looks amazing without the pickguard. If there is no discoloration would you consider leaving it as is or maybe using a clear guard?

Oh, and like me you are now fully addicted. Welcome to the hive. Resistance is futile. There is no 12-step process available to combat this affliction to my knowledge. So, my condolences to your wallet and congratulations to your happiness.

Nid2007

Reaction score
Thanks! I’m a heavy strummer and I like the look of a brown tortoise guard, so I will likely out one on. I came across a pic of another 2012 sunburst without a guard, so I’m really curious as to whether Guild intentionally left them off any.
And it is the only traditional series d-50 I’ve come across from that period that hasn’t said “bluegrass special” on the label.
I’m looking forward to receiving it on Monday.

Cool. Congrats! I think that sunburst looks amazing without the pickguard. If there is no discoloration would you consider leaving it as is or maybe using a clear guard?

Oh, and like me you are now fully addicted. Welcome to the hive. Resistance is futile. There is no 12-step process available to combat this affliction to my knowledge. So, my condolences to your wallet and congratulations to your happiness.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is a beautiful burst-I like it better every time I look at it. We will need a full audio and how it plays report.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I search the web, I come across D-50 “standards” and “Bluegrass Specials” from 2012, but nothing listed as simply D-50 Traditional.....
And it is the only traditional series d-50 I’ve come across from that period that hasn’t said “bluegrass special” on the label.
Any info appreciated!

See this link, the Bluegrass Special was only offered in the "Traditional" series:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012050...uitars.com/instruments/?bodyShape=Dreadnought

What's really going on with the "Bluegrass" names is that the D50 was originally called the "Bluegrass Special" when it was introduced in '63. (The D40 was called the "Bluegrass Jubilee")
Guild just like giving their guitars names at the time, in keeping with F50's being "Navarres" and F30's being "Aragons".
The use of names gradually fell off during the 70's and by the '80's weren't used at all anymore (on pure acoustic flattops).
The practice was revived in the Nashville Custom Shop in '97 with the F40-based "Valencia", but not much beyond that until, in Tacoma, they reintroduced the use of the Bluegrass names on the D40 and D50 to designate guitars that had Red Spruce (Adirondack or "Adi") tops, the first time Guild ever expressly spec'd Adi on a production model, that we know of .
New Hartford introduced the use of "Traditional" series to designate a level of trim and finishing, (primarily full high-gloss finish) and also continued the use of the ""Bluegrass" names to denote D40's and D50's with Adi tops.
They also introduced an economy series of flattops known as "Standards", same basic wood formulas but a couple of cost saving details like finishing: "Standards" initially had satin-finished necks, and less elaborate headstocks than the "Traditionals".
Anyway, you couldn't get the Adi top in a D40 or D50 "Standard", you had to upgrade to the Traditional Series to get one.
So in 2012 a D50 Traditional was a "Bluegrass Jubilee" and not all of 'em said it on the label, the same thing has been seen on D40's as well.
In truth my memory's fuzzy about when the labeling conventions were in place designating "Bluegrass" models.
For comparison, here's a listing for an '11 D50 Standard that shows "D50STD" on the label, note also the lack of Chesterfield on headstock:
https://reverb.com/item/19733773-guild-d-50-standard-2011-natural
Guitars made w/out pickguards?
It does ring a vague bell, but in fact also recall a couple of reports of p/g's with "bad adhesive" (not confirmed as a "real" problem, might have been an incompatibility of adhesive with a new finish formula, too) that moved around on the guitars, also a problem in early Tacomas "IIRC", so possibly you saw guitars with 'guards intentionally removed by owners?

Last edited:

Nid2007

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info!!!!

See this link, the Bluegrass Special was only offered in the "Traditional" series:
https://web.archive.org/web/2012050...uitars.com/instruments/?bodyShape=Dreadnought

What's really going on with the "Bluegrass" names is that the D50 was originally called the "Bluegrass Special" when it was introduced in '63. (The D40 was called the "Bluegrass Jubilee")
Guild just like giving their guitars names at the time, in keeping with F50's being "Navarres" and F30's being "Aragons".
The use of names gradually fell off during the 70's and by the '80's weren't used at all anymore (on pure acoustic flattops).
The practice was revived in the Nashville Custom Shop in '97 with the F40-based "Valencia", but not much beyond that until, in Tacoma, they reintroduced the use of the Bluegrass names on the D40 and D50 to designate guitars that had Red Spruce (Adirondack or "Adi") tops, the first time Guild ever expressly spec'd Adi on a production model, that we know of .
New Hartford introduced the use of "Traditional" series to designate a level of trim and finishing, (primarily full high-gloss finish) and also continued the use of the ""Bluegrass" names to denote D40's and D50's with Adi tops.
They also introduced an economy series of flattops known as "Standards", same basic wood formulas but a couple of cost saving details like finishing: "Standards" initially had satin-finished necks, and less elaborate headstocks than the "Traditionals".
Anyway, you couldn't get the Adi top in a D40 or D50 "Standard", you had to upgrade to the Traditional Series to get one.
So in 2012 a D50 Traditional was a "Bluegrass Jubilee" and not all of 'em said it on the label, the same thing has been seen on D40's as well.
In truth my memory's fuzzy about when the labeling conventions were in place designating "Bluegrass" models.
For comparison, here's a listing for an '11 D50 Standard that shows "D50STD" on the label, note also the lack of Chesterfield on headstock:
https://reverb.com/item/19733773-guild-d-50-standard-2011-natural
Guitars made w/out pickguards?
It does ring a vague bell, but in fact also recall a couple of reports of p/g's with "bad adhesive" (not confirmed as a "real" problem, might have been an incompatibility of adhesive with a new finish formula, too) that moved around on the guitars, also a problem in early Tacomas "IIRC", so possibly you saw guitars with 'guards intentionally removed by owners?

Nid2007

Reaction score
The D-50 arrived. I'm a happy camper!

I had a late 70's D-55 for a short period a few years ago. It had a pretty narrow nut and a shallow neck profile--it just wasn't for me (plus, I was just not into square shouldered guitars at the time). This D-50, however, has a nice full C going on in the first few frets...plus it is so much lighter than that Westerly D-55 (as well as much lighter than my G45).

The sound is huge, even with the older strings that came on it. Also, it must have been a closet queen---not a blem on it...other than the missing pickguard, it could be mistaken for a "new open box" 2012 guitar.

I think this may be the square shoulder rosewood dread that I settle on. I sold a '69 BRW Martin D-35 to pay for the G45...and now I have added D-50 that I like way more than the '69 D-35 for the same songs , and still have $ left over.

Thanks for the help on this forum!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nothing like a happy camper. So glad it is what you hoped for -- plus.