Guild S-100 Deluxe STEREO

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I was genuinely bummed when I discovered my Rickenbacker 360's (a 1995 v64 reissue) two output jacks didn't include Ric-O-Sound stereo but were just dual mono. I'd intended to use it for direct stereo recording as well as into an amp in normal mono. So instead I ended up just doubling rhythm parts on separate tracks, one neck pickup and the other bridge. :)

-Dave-

matsickma

Reaction score
I have Deluxe and a Guild TRC that says Stereo. Should I dare to do a mod?!

Likely not. If I did it would be to a NS model with the mini buckers and a HB1 added to added middle pup or bridge position.

Come to think if it...anyone know if the triple switch plate from the TBird is available from Guild or other?
M

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the LTG! I have a Deluxe too but not stereo. :glee:

dalko

Reaction score
Hello Guild experts. I have the guitare now. Everything is not stock. I can see 1 pot shanged. Maybe more?

Stereo switch, i don't know. I took photos. Yeah the guitar was refinished. But i don't know how it was maid.

1560352574-sam-0624.jpg

1560352749-sam-0636.jpg

1560352767-sam-0634.jpg

1560352741-sam-0638.jpg

1560352806-sam-0622.jpg

1560352818-sam-0621.jpg

1560352830-sam-0615.jpg

1560353029-sam-0625.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
GREAT set of pics!
I feel so sorry for Hans that the cover plate label looks illegible if not outright torn off, but he sees stuff most folks wouldn't even know to look for, so hopefully they're still useful to him.

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...the cover plate label looks illegible if not outright torn off
Too bad the oval Westerly label was removed almost completely. I wonder why somebody would remove it, especially as the serial number is still on the headstock. But it's a cool used guitar!
Ralf

Zelja

Reaction score
Super cool guitar. Fantastique!

The Stereo-Mono switch looks too new to be original but who knows...

Regarding the phase switch, it will be most useful when combining pickups - so pickup selector in middle position & Stereo-Mono switch set to mono. To really get lots of variable tones in this position reduce one or the other volume knobs - a change of even 1 or 1.5 positions on the dial makes quite a difference. Lots of room to explore & experiment here.

The phase switch generally changes the phase on the bridge pickup. You will probably notice a subtle change when activated when bridge alone is selected - one position will be slightly beefier in my experience but it's not necessarily consistent, depending on the amp & how far away you are from it. I think it's down to the phase relation from input to output from the amp & how far you are from the speakers.

dalko

Reaction score
Thank you all for comments. Whole electronic system works very well. I can hear a real difference with the phase switch.

I will by a stereo cable to check the stereo sound, but i expect it will be okay.

After, the guitar needs a setup, i can do it, i believe, even i am not a professional. I need the right tool for the truss rod. Should be 6 mm?

But, even without any setup, the guitar is just a LETHAL WEAPON in terms of sound.

The weight and the metal of the bigsby give a sustain and a suplementary biting sound to a SG all mahogany guitar.

It's a great combination with originals HB1.

Otherwise, it seems that she was BLUE in original finish? Some photos:

1560425856-sam-0666.jpg

1560425850-sam-0664.jpg

1560425862-sam-0669.jpg

1560425868-sam-0674.jpg

Last edited:

Prince of Darkness

Reaction score
Guild Total
Remember, this is an American guitar, so it's not metric. I think it should be 1/4 inch, though there are more knowledgeable people on here who will correct me if I'm wrong.:encouragement:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Remember, this is an American guitar, so it's not metric. I think it should be 1/4 inch, though there are more knowledgeable people on here who will correct me if I'm wrong.:encouragement:

My recollection is that a JS II of similar vintage was a 1/4" and I can't recall a vintage Guild with anything different. What is this "metric" that you speak of?

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Vote from Finland - 1/4 inches = about 6,25mm

DALKO - do NOT try to turn it with 7mm tool - while it maybe could work, it will make the nut corners round - thus destroying the nut. Even the cheapest american-size toolsets are far better than best wrong size metric - in this case.

And - welcome to LTG

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, it seems that she was BLUE in original finish? Some photos:

1560425856-sam-0666.jpg

1560425850-sam-0664.jpg

No, the finish was not blue originally! It was blue before it was sanded down to its current state. There are even traces of blue on top of the headstock overlay, which is something that Guild would not have done.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dalko

Reaction score
Thanks to all for comments. :smile:

To resume: Original stereo guitar, refinished in blue, and sanded down to actual finish.

1 pot changed.

Okay.

When i will have the stereo cable, i will let you know what is all about. :smile:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looking at the wiring (and thanks for the detailed, well-lit, and in-focus pics!) the stereo switch is a pretty simple thing.

In a normal mono guitar, the outputs from both pickups are combined (bent and soldered together) at the selector switch. On this guitar they are not. One side goes to one side of the output jack (which is stereo so has L, R, Ground), and the other goes a mini-toggle. The mini-toggle simply allows the signal of that pickup to continue to the other side of the output jack or combines it with the other pickup thus making it mono.

What I find especially interesting about this is that the guitar would be mono regardless of switch position if a mono cable was used. The stereo/mono switch will only have effect if a stereo cable is used.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Time . . .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dalko, thank you very much for sharing the guitar back wiring photos. See my post about S-100 stereo schematic below However, I have some trouble following some wires due to the pickup cables overlaying other wires. I'm hoping you may share some additional photos with the pickup cables lifted up to better show the other wires underneath?

dalko

Reaction score
You're welcome.

Just to know: Your guitar has no stereo-mono switch? No stereo TRC?

Can you show us pictures of the guitar? Just to show to the forum what it is.

Reaction score
Dalko, my S100 does not have the stereo switch. It does have the phase switch. It's been rewired over the years for simplicity but I'd like to return to original wiring - whatever that may be. The way I have it wired now is, bridge pickup to tip on stereo cable, neck pickup to ring on stereo cable, and when 3-way toggle in center then both pickups active. Sorry, I took pictures but not savy enough to post them.