New sharp kitchen knives, kudos to callouses

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My son bought me a new set of knives and boy are they sharp.

Yesterday while chopping some onions I accidently took about a 1/16" thick slice off the top of my middle finger on the left hand.

Hurt a little, but didn't even bleed, LOL.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Careful! We'll have to call you Jerry Garcia!

"At age four, while the family was vacationing in the Santa Cruz Mountains, two-thirds of Garcia's right middle finger was accidentally cut off. Garcia and his brother Tiff were chopping wood. Jerry steadied a piece of wood with his finger, but Tiff miscalculated and the axe severed most of Jerry's middle finger."

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My son bought me a new set of knives and boy are they sharp.

Yesterday while chopping some onions I accidently took about a 1/16" thick slice off the top of my middle finger on the left hand.

Hurt a little, but didn't even bleed, LOL.
Care to share brand name of knives-wife been looking for a set?

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
This may be mixing metaphors but I think you dodged a bullet!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I do a lot of food prep but this is a rare occurrence. I really try to protect my hands and fingers for obvious reasons as a musician. In this case, being saved by the finger callous is kinda like poetic justice the way I see it.

F312

Reaction score
That middle finger is pert near used in every chord.

Ralph

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That middle finger is pert near used in every chord.

Ralph
That's what I was thinking, Ralph! I started looking at my guitars in all the different tunings and running through the fingers used and ..... that's one of the most popular fingers!! Biggest callous, too!!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Careful man... reading this is enough to make my stomach do a little roll. It's PTSD shock from years ago maybe?

I started playing guitar in '68, when I was 8. My mom thought I should learn an instrument and picked out the classical guitar. I learned from an old Spanish lady, she taught me to read. I'd learn a piece during a lesson, and had to play it at full speed when I came back for my next. It wasn't long before I had my first recital, weirdly, I was quite good even though I don't remember if I liked playing or not.

Parents divorced in '69 or so, we got sent off to a boarding school because Mom had a nervous breakdown, three boys...

While I was there, playing hide and seek running through the buildings, I was climbing though an open window and some jack@ss slammed it down on my fingers with great force, severing the tip of my left finger at the knuckle, it was dangling by the skin underneath... It got put back together, and I had a pin sticking out of my finger for a while, then they pulled that out. My left finger is 1/2" shorter than the right, and I can't bend that knuckle,

I never played guitar again.

When I was 16 I bought a Yamaha FG-75 from a buddy who needed money to go to Alaska, the pipeline days.

I've aways played with three fingers, didn't know what I was doing anyway, and later when I played rock, it didn't really matter.

But I always knew I couldn't play a whole bunch of chords, and that I was not a good all around guitar payer, nothing could lose me faster than a country jam.

I couldn't play basic chords, still struggle with it everyday, and I can't switch, I can't play left handed, even though I'm left handed...

I never knew how much that day changed my life, and it dawns on me more and more as time goes on, just how much.

I got back into acoustic, then really tried to learn guitar all over again, fingerpick, but again and again come back to the realization that I have to live with this handicap, when it turns out that the guitar is the most important thing in my life and has been for a long time.

Django is always mentioned if anyone finds out I play mostly with three fingers, but my real hero is Tony Iommi who went through a massive struggle losing two fingers in a metal shop accident, his last day on the job. He refused to go rightie, although he could have, but at his shop foreman's urging and having tricked into listening to a Django record only to be told that Django hand had been totally disfigured in a fire, gave him the inspiration to go on. And so he fashioned finger tips and because of this disability, he ended being one of the most iconic players in Rock. Long story short, he needed light strings to keep the fingertips from coming off, and there were none at the time, so he used banjo strings for the trebles, but even that wasn't enough, so he tuned down, and down and down to three semitones eventually and launched a new sound, Heavy Metal.

Careful with your digits out there.

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Have you tried playing in open tunings, slide, or with partial capos...you don't need all the notes in a chord to play...play the ones your fingers can reach.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck GP, where there's a will, there's a way. Guitar (music) is also one of the most important parts of my life. I hope you develop a technique that works well for you!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Have you tried playing in open tunings, slide, or with partial capos...you don't need all the notes in a chord to play...play the ones your fingers can reach.

Yeah, that's so true.

I can probably fire through ADG chord changes as fast as anyone on the planet, but my G will be a one fingered chord.

When I started playing acoustic again, and actually paying attention to what I was doing (because you have to on the acoustic), I realized that I was playing whole songs of dyad chords, and I love those. All of the cowboy chords sound amazing and haunting as dyad chords. Listen to an A that is just your index finger on the A and G strings, and let it ring until it dies away... there are amazing overtones all the way to the end, well at least on a Guild ;-)

Right now my main musical themes are C G D A Em, or some variation, and when you capo that at the 2nd or 4th fret, it's just amazing how much you can get out of those few chords.

I'm or was pretty heavy into slide in open E, especially on electric 12 string, you'll blow people's minds. A lot of crazy tones in there.

I just need another finger put on damnit, can they do that?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I just need another finger put on damnit, can they do that?
Sure.
You want one from Column A or Column B?
bffa91bed5d76f504f21e87874d0d64f.jpg

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzAyNy8wOTIvb3JpZ2luYWwvc2l4LWZpbmdlcnMuanBn

F312

Reaction score
You've managed to hand it to us again Al.

Ralph

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You've managed to hand it to us again Al.

Ralph

With hands like that you could flip 2 birds for the price of one.
Or is that a bird in the hand joke?

61ZfAnKhrnL._SX569_.jpg

(Hitchcock was right about the highest form of literature. :biggrin-new:)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
You know, I had to play in church yesterday and even though the finger didn't bleed when I cut it, the callous was gone so playing was painful. I shall heretofore exercise even more caution when using knives. My two main tools, strings and knives.