Fun Random Thoughts

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
After some A-B-ng, I put a fresh set of TI Jazz FLATS on my active older, JS-II. So the GuilEmbic still sports TI Jazz ROUNDS. Being I'll be playing some shows this summer where I'll be happy to have basses with such diverse sounds, I'm really happy.

And a poke at all of you "I'll leave my old strings om because James Jamerson did or Mgod does", you are missing out on the pleasure re-intonating your basses. And hearing them come back to life. I LOVE how cool one of my basses sounds with a fresh set of Jazz Flats slapped on. Really.

This was inspired by an early practice session. I have a new cover band project playing Doors music. Yeah, I know they didn't have a live bass player when I saw them in 8th grade at what became Fillmore East. (They started with Break On Through which is still my favorite Doors song.) Later they had some fine bass players on board and on stage,

Anyway - I have two summer setlists to learn.

For the 50th Reunion Zinjanthropus show I was surprised to find I was listed as the singer on the Doobie Bros "China Grove" given the Doobies were not around when we were delighting audiences down on the lower east side. But it's nice to see that I am expected to howl up at that high frequency once again.

:) But I started this because how cool I have been finding the Doors parts to be. The bass parts on Love Her Madly and 20th Century Fox are really fun. But LA Woman is the most challenging bass part just because of the of the speed. But it's a wicked fun song.

So, anyway and never mind ....
l

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah the Doors bass lines that Ray wrote can be a challenge to play on a bass guitar since they were written on a keyboard. I watched a YouTube video were Ray was talking about Jerry Scheff complained to Ray as to how hard the bass lines were.

I play and sing "Light My Fire", needless to say it's a challenge. (I play it note for note!) Just to bore you all here's some live audio from one time when we played at The Lanes at Sea Girt. (The audio is taken from the board pre-effects so it's very dry!)

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great playing and singing, Kurt! And your guitarist rocks!

Good luck with the new band, Happy!

walrus

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
After some A-B-ng, I put a fresh set of TI Jazz Rounds on my active older, JS-II. So the GuilEmbic still sports TI Jazz Flats. Being I'll be playing some shows this summer where I'll be happy to have basses with such diverse sounds, I'm really happy.

The older JS-II has an active preamp of some kind? What are the pickups? I'm sure you've shared before but I forget, I'll do a search if necessary but I'm off to Dead & Company soon...

And a poke at all of you "I'll leave my old strings om because James Jamerson did or Mgod does", you are missing out on the pleasure re-intonating your basses. And hearing them come back to life. I LOVE how cool one of my basses sounds with a fresh set of Jazz Flats slapped on. Really.

I'm not sure that I find re-intonating basses pleasurable, I think I find it more of an anxious process.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing footage of the new band!

Happy Face

Reaction score
Yeah the Doors bass lines that Ray wrote can be a challenge to play on a bass guitar since they were written on a keyboard. I watched a YouTube video were Ray was talking about Jerry Scheff complained to Ray as to how hard the bass lines were.

I play and sing "Light My Fire", needless to say it's a challenge. (I play it note for note!) Just to bore you all here's some live audio from one time when we played at The Lanes at Sea Girt. (The audio is taken from the board pre-effects so it's very dry!)

Nicely done! Playing those riffs while singing aint easy!!

"I watched a YouTube video were Ray was talking about Jerry Scheff complained to Ray as to how hard the bass lines were."

I had a similar experience when I started my last project, the Renaissance cover/tribute band. Somehow I found the original bass player's email address and sent him a tongue-in-cheek email complaining about how difficult his bass parts were to learn. Jon Camp was a real gent and answered back:

"I hope you have fun learning the bass parts and if I can help you with any of the trickier bits please let me know and i'll point you in the right direction if I can. It's nice to be appreciated by someone like yourself!"

He lived up to his offer a couple of times when I had some questions about how to approach some songs. He was almost as disappointed as I was when the project fell apart.

Last edited:

Happy Face

Reaction score
The older JS-II has an active preamp of some kind? What are the pickups? I'm sure you've shared before but I forget, I'll do a search if necessary but I'm off to Dead & Company soon...

I'm not sure that I find re-intonating basses pleasurable, I think I find it more of an anxious process.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing footage of the new band!

It sports Darkstars with an ACG EQ01 or 02 pre-amp rig. (I forgot which) It is more complex than the Alembic setup. I really don't maximize it's usefulness, only resetting the four sets of stacked controls plus analog tone dial after I change string type, amp or after someone grabs its and spins all the knobs out of curiosity or to torment me or something. It does sound pretty nice with those flats on, however.

Last edited: