Leon Redbone-Passed Away

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I absolutely loved this guy. He took old time songs and made them into a more current style. Never heard him in concert but would have loved to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i heard him play with Kottke. i think they toured for a while together. 1998 was the year, madison WI.
redbone was funny and he had this clarinet player with him and they both were really hamming it up.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I got to see him on a double bill with Roy Book Binder, and I'm glad I did! I loved the announcement by the family on his website. Leon would have approved:

"It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127. He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He's interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, " Oh behave yourselves. Thank you.... and good evening everybody." "

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I got to see him on a double bill with Roy Book Binder, and I'm glad I did! I loved the announcement by the family on his website. Leon would have approved:

"It is with heavy hearts we announce that early this morning, May 30th 2019, Leon Redbone crossed the delta for that beautiful shore at the age of 127. He departed our world with his guitar, his trusty companion Rover, and a simple tip of his hat. He's interested to see what Blind Blake, Emmett, and Jelly Roll have been up to in his absence, and has plans for a rousing sing along number with Sári Barabás. An eternity of pouring through texts in the Library of Ashurbanipal will be a welcome repose, perhaps followed by a shot or two of whiskey with Lee Morse, and some long overdue discussions with his favorite Uncle, Suppiluliuma I of the Hittites. To his fans, friends, and loving family who have already been missing him so in this realm he says, " Oh behave yourselves. Thank you.... and good evening everybody." "

127?!?!?

He must not have been livin' right.
For a musician, that is.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I was a deskclerk at a Hilton Hotel that Redbone stayed in in Northampton, MA, while he was touring in 1973 or '74. After he'd checked in, he stopped by the desk and asked if I'd help him play a prank on the promoter for the concert.

He was doing two shows at a place called the Academy of Music, one at 8:00 and a second one at 11:00. I said yes -- providing he got me tickets to the second show.

So, after his first show, Redbone disappeared from the venue. Around 10:45 the promoter called the hotel and asked me to connect him with Redbone's room.

I said, as I'd been coached, "Leon Redbone? He checked out a half hour ago -- said something about having a long drive to Montreal."

The promoter's voice actually cracked as he said, "What?!! He's got a second show tonight!! The place is sold out!!" He sounded like he was going to cry.

My shift ended at 11:00 and I hustled to the venue right after. True to his word, Redbone had left comp tickets for me at the box office.

It was a very good show -- Leon was one of the best performers of Blind Blake's music, of which I was and am a fan, I ever heard.

Blake was a ragtime style pre-War blues guitarist, revered for his incredibly fluid playing, his swing and syncopation. Some of you might know his song, "Diddy Wah Diddy," which has been widely covered. A number of people have come close -- including Redbone and Roy Book Binder -- but no one plays Blake like Blake.

RIP Leon.

And Tony "Little Sun" Glover too. Great harmonica player, a member of Koerner, Ray & Glover, writer, teacher and much more.

Glenn

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Doesn't it sound like he might have written his own eulogy?:playful::sneakiness::glee::applouse:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw him a couple times live, and on "Saturday Night Live." RIP Leon.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw him a couple times live, and on "Saturday Night Live." RIP Leon.

He appeared twice during that legendary first season of SNL (and two more times later). That's were I first saw him. I always liked the idea that was room in the music world for a performer like him.