I guess I did something wrong

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So, there was/is a nice looking GF 30 SB on Reverb at what I think is a very fair price. The first time it was listed it was at a BIN of $950 or Best Offer (+ a small shipping fee) I contacted the seller and asked/mentioned 3 things:

1.) How was the neck angle and saddle height?
2.) In what shape were the frets?
3.) What would he accept as an offer?

I thought all 3 were reasonable questions. I never heard from him so I just made an $850 offer (plus the shipping) and said in a comment if that worked for him fine and if not, no worries. I also asked that if it did not work for him would he please reject my offer before midnight that night which was when the enhanced Ebay Bucks Program was over (10%).

He did reject my offer and I just said to myself o.k. then, no problem.

The guitar did not sell and he eventually relisted it at $850 or Best Offer + shipping (my original offer) but when I went to buy it via BIN I received a message back that the Buyer would not accept any offers from me. I'm still not sure what I did that was so offensive and I went back to read the messages again but still didn't see it.

So, I found a way to send him a message nicely asking what I had done and saying if he wanted to sell me his guitar at the BIN price I was ready to buy. I never did receive a response.

I've always thought I was pretty easy to deal with but maybe I'm not. Oh well, I don't really need another guitar anyway.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Howdy

The little Hercule Poirot inside me tells he will not deal with you, because that guitar has some problems with your original question - 1 or 2 - or perhaps both.

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure either Richard, but appreciate reading your post, have been watching that guitar for some time.
Fwiw, I have sold to this seller, had no problems, but have not bought from him.
Odd he blocked you - but that'd be a signal to me to move on, and finding he behaved that
way toward you takes that instrument off my radar.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Richard:
You are one of a very few sellers that worries more than the buyer.
When dealing with someone like the seller you are refering to, try not to get arrogance mixed up with ignorance. My guess is you know guitars much better than he does.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray to the rescue ? Lol

silverfox103

Reaction score
Richard

All reasonable questions, after all $850 is a lot of $$$. I would guess that you asked questions that he did not want to answer because of condition issues. Move on and be happy, you of all people know there are plenty of deals out there and you will find a better one.

Tom

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Howdy

The little Hercule Poirot inside me tells he will not deal with you, because that guitar has some problems with your original question - 1 or 2 - or perhaps both.

This is my guess as well, Richard.

Though, I must say, in my life these days the "it's not you; it's me" pisses me off more than ever, not that that's exactly what this rebuff is. Sorry you couldn't snag this one, but so be it.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You didn't do anything wrong. But the seller is obviously in a position where their time is money. Answering your questions costs them time. Selling to someone who asked questions may cost time. $850 may be a lot of money to many of us but there are professions where $850 is one or two hours work. And if you are in one of those professions waiting a week and selling at $750 with no questions is no big deal. Just putting this out there because we assume the reaction to the questions was because of some red flag in the condition, when it may just be an economic difference.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yeah, I no longer have an interest in the guitar. Call it bad Ju Ju or MOJO or whatever. However, for any of you that are interested it looked to me to be in nice shape and the price seemed very fair to me as well. Anyway, don't get down on the guitar just because of my experience. It looks like a good one to me so if it speaks to you, go for it. Sometimes people just clash; no reason for it really, it just happens.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I can't find it .... 😑 Lol

bobouz

Reaction score
Yes Richard, that one caught my eye, too. A couple of little red flags for me was the fact that he says he's not sure if it's ever had a neck reset. Seems odd to say that unless there were signs of one, whereby you'd be better off saying "it may have had" a neck reset. Also, there are some slight finish issues around the tuners on the headstock that he does not mention. It's minor, but still, I'd like to see full disclosure. Thirdly, and this has been my hard & fast rule, I'll never buy from someone with an "As Is" listing on Reverb - with the possible exception of you!

wileypickett

Reaction score
Some people take offense at nothing and some people you can't offend no matter how hard you may try!

Re, the guitar itself: knowing what I know now, I'd certainly consider it at that price -- if I didn't already have one. I bought a GF30 (sunburst) last year.

They don't seem to get talked about much, but I supect that's because there just aren't many of them around to talk about. I truly like it more than my F50, which I paid considerably more for.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes, I do as is nearly all the time. The reason???? There are as many evil buyers out there as sellers. I'll ALWAYS take care of any issue on any guitar I sell but some folks just are not cool and take ridiculous advantage of a return policy. Take it to the bank that if any LTG member were unsatisfied with a guitar bought from me, I'd be taking it back, no questions asked and that's a guarantee!!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
All of this reminds me of a buyer, out in California that bought my Guild GSR F47 Koa and found that the neck was too small. I took it back. Richard your one of the most upright a buyer and seller I know. There's plenty out there for you to pursue.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All of this reminds me of a buyer, out in California that bought my Guild GSR F47 Koa and found that the neck was too small. I took it back. Richard your one of the most upright a buyer and seller I know. There's plenty out there for you to pursue.

Yep, if the Olympics had an event for "buyers and sellers of guitars," Richard would be one representing USA and he would have been nearly edged out by other LTG members.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, I do as is nearly all the time. The reason???? There are as many evil buyers out there as sellers. I'll ALWAYS take care of any issue on any guitar I sell but some folks just are not cool and take ridiculous advantage of a return policy. Take it to the bank that if any LTG member were unsatisfied with a guitar bought from me, I'd be taking it back, no questions asked and that's a guarantee!!

Ahhh nice to read . Your a good man mister Rich ! Very few have proper morals let alone stand by and behind the things they represent. Awesome and a big hug 😁

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had asked him a couple similar questions about the neck when it was listed and never got a response. Nice looking guitar. Not worth the risk without knowing. Me thinks he does know.

beecee

Reaction score
Maybe he is an Ohio State fan?

(Richard is from Michigan....football thing)