NGDuhhh ?

Mark WW

Reaction score
Wow scary story with a happy ending. I boxed up two guitars for sale (I box them prior to selling) and forgot which was which. Had to open them up. It CAN happen!

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Given the current market desire for smaller bodied guitars, one would think that Guild USA would find wisdom in producing another series made with high quality, solid materials, no bling, with a focus on play-ability and sound. I would think this would hit a sweet spot in the US-made market. Would I prefer an ebony neck and bridge? Hell yeah. Would I prefer some nice open back tuners? Yes. A little abalone? You bet. Nice trim and a little extra dis or dat? Sure, but that all cost $$$ and for me its more about the construction, play-ability, tone and value. The NH Standards hit the nail on the head. I would love to see that line come back to Guild USA - especially in the OM size.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Given the current market desire for smaller bodied guitars, one would think that Guild USA would find wisdom in producing another series made with high quality, solid materials, no bling, with a focus on play-ability and sound. I would think this would hit a sweet spot in the US-made market. Would I prefer an ebony neck and bridge? Hell yeah. Would I prefer some nice open back tuners? Yes. A little abalone? You bet. Nice trim and a little extra dis or dat? Sure, but that all cost $$$ and for me its more about the construction, play-ability, tone and value. The NH Standards hit the nail on the head. I would love to see that line come back to Guild USA - especially in the OM size.

If you get the opportunity I highly recommend playing a Guild Orpheum OM 14 fret or 000 12 fret from the New Hartford Custom Shop. They were made between 2013-2014 and are exactly what you are describing in being all about the construction and materials without the bling. Very classy appointments including Wood Marquetry binding and rosette, Bound Soundhole, Ebony Fretboards and pryamid bridge, Top of the line Adirondack Spruce tops and scalloped bracing, Honduran Mahogany or East Indian Rosewood Back and sides (Depending on which model), All Hot Hide glue construction, Bone Nut/saddle/Bridge Pins, Designed and built from the ground up by Ren Ferguson to be Guilds offering of what they would have built in the 30's and 40's if Guild would have been around. I have loved every one I have had the pleasure of owning and regret selling the ones I did. Just something to look into if you are interested.

Congrats on your NH Standard model, They are Awesome Guitars!

TX

beecee

Reaction score
Hey Mikey,

You left the new strings in the D-40 I had shipped for ya!

Been a bit MIA, apologies.

Hope you are loving it. Neal sent me a good one, but between the D-40 and the hog Orph I'm in hog heaven already, (btw, Tx knows of what he speaks, my Orph came from him).

I did unpack the D-40 last night and played for a bit, (tough to place on the knee....that is where I got whacked by the evil chainsaw) and even with the strings from last fall my wife chimed in from the other room saying how nice it sounded.

I think the only thing I would do different if I were, (was) Guild with the Standard series is add open gear tuners like these....for aesthetics only, no issue with the current ones.

DmoQWWI.jpg
[/IMG]

Enjoy and thanks again for putting up with me.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’ve been spending more time with the F30R over the last few days. It just wasn’t feeling right vs. the F30 in that it was choppy and harder to play. I was getting a worried that it wasn’t going to work for me. Luckily, it just turned out that the string height was a bit high for me at .100 -.110. The neck angle is perfect, height at nut was good, and the saddle looked like it had never been touched. Sooo…

First I dropped the tuning to D and changed to heavier strings as I’ve been doing on my other guitars to aid my vocals. I put on EXP17 medium 80/20’s to see if I could get a little more sparkle vs. the PB’s that were on there. Then I worked the saddle and got the action down to .080 with slight relief. This made a world of difference. It now it plays much smoother and the tone seems richer. I will experiment further with some 80/20 combo med/light strings next.

Comparing to the F30 hog with med PB’s, the R does have a more pronounced bass end which adds a beautiful presence on picked songs and slow ballads. It can get slightly muddy with faster and harder strumming, which is exactly where the F30 shines. The F30 remains even across the notes with cleaner separation, and less bass end so I can really dig in without the notes tripping over each other.

Both are distinctly Guild vs. my other OM’s, but as I am learning they are also distinctly different from one another.

Last edited:

tommym

Reaction score
Similar thoughts here....

Both my Standards sit at about .080 on the bass string, light gauge Elixir 80/20 Bronze on both for an apples to apples comparison.

My F30R Standard takes more finesse on my part to bring out and balance the nuances of the rosewood / sitka combo. Switching over to light gauge Elixir PB's and JP 600L on the F30R Standard didn't help the cause, and at times made things a bit more muddy.

On the other hand, my F30 Standard seems to play itself and has a cleaner / more balanced vibe to it.

Still I feel blessed to own and have access to one of each.

Tommy

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Tommy, that’s good confirmation of what my experience has been so far. Very cool also that you have sibling 2011’s.

GuildInAtlanta

Reaction score
Thank you Mike & Tommy!

It's great to hear your impressions since you're both blessed with a set of F30 & F30Rs, and since I've never played or heard a NH F30 Standard I've enjoyed living vicariously through you.

This feedback has made me rethink my search for my next guitar..and I think maybe I'll add a NH F30 to the list? :smile:

Regardless if it's rosewood or mahogany, it seems you can't go wrong if you land a good example of these NH Standards.

Thanks again. - Robert