Introducing myself ....

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Hi Kat.

If your bass has DarkStars, is it possible that you have one of a very limited number of GRS (Guild Special Run) Starfires?
They would also be correctly called a "90's bass" but a little more upscale (and perhaps the inspiration for) version of the regular production '90s Starfire reissues like I have. Your tuning machines (as well as the pickups) might be different than my regular 90's reissue.

Alternatively, when I bought my bass as used, I might have received a dumbed-down case. My TRC is a plain black plastic molded Guild shield. I ordered an metal one from the '60s like Adorshki has in the pic above. We'll see if it fits. :)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Kat.

If your bass has DarkStars, is it possible that you have one of a very limited number of GRS (Guild Special Run) Starfires?
They would also be correctly called a "90's bass" but a little more upscale (and perhaps the inspiration for) version of the regular production '90s Starfire reissues like I have. Your tuning machines (as well as the pickups) might be different than my regular 90's reissue.

Nope.

See http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196810-Dating-my-Starfire-II-Bass

I'm curious about your suggestion that some GSR Starfire basses had Dark Stars installed by Guild. The stories we heard (and the basses we have see) were that they had vintage humbuckers, most of which were NOS but a couple were refurbished. Fred Hammon phased out Dark Star production about the time of the GSRs and I am pretty sure he was quoted as saying he could not make as many pickups as Guild wanted for the GSR run.

The origin story on the GSR basses is incomplete but my recollection is that the bodies were made overseas during the 1990's and then finished in New Hartford a couple decades later as the GSR basses. The body dimensions are different from the '60's 70's, other 90's and Newark Street Starfires which makes case discussions even more confusing.

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Oh hey ... thanks for the link.
I think I got my stories mixed up.

.......Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

katthestar

Reaction score
I had heard that the GSR basses had Chinese made bodies as well. My luthier told me that when I got mine. It’s odd, the guy who sold mine to me doesn’t sell 90’s Starfires with Dark Stars anymore. I rarely see 90’s Starfires anymore. Anyone have an idea how many were made and for how long? I prefer the 90’s one to the 60’s and 70’s ones.