Introducing myself ....

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm David.

I've been a lurker here for approx. 17 years (on and off.)
I remember reading this forum in the early to mid '00s.
I'm a 55 year old machinist by trade.

I fell in love with B301s and b302s back in '77 or '78 around the time they came out.

https://imgur.com/kONRL3Z

kONRL3Z

It wasn't till years later that I got my first Guild.
I think that first one was the Starfire (XX XXXXXX)

I got the B-302 (#XXXXXX) shortly thereafter.
They are like children to me ... not sure I could ever part with either one.
... what-a-minute .... I take that back.
Did I mention I also have a love/hate relationship with Rickenbackers.
... and lately J-basses.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome :)

Since you've been lurking you know you have instruments that are underrepresented here.

You probably are aware of the truss rod cover orientation issues but I'm not sure I approve of your solution to just remove them completely :) Is there a story?

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Welcome :)

Since you've been lurking you know you have instruments that are underrepresented here.

You probably are aware of the truss rod cover orientation issues but I'm not sure I approve of your solution to just remove them completely :) Is there a story?

I suppose I'm a chronic Truss-rod-tweeker. I keep 'em in an envelope in the pick-box of the case. I always wanted to do something a little fancier with the TRC on the Starfire. Something a little fancier than a plain Black molded shield.

... And I have clearly not mastered the art of posting pics.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, David. If you've been lurking for 17 years or so, you'll know all the shenanigans that go on here. So welcome to the fray!

p.s. - at least you HAVE the truss rod covers. I don't think I could look at them uncovered on the regular. I'm sure my OCD is showing....:encouragement:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG David!
Those are two wonderful looking basses you own! I tried to re-post your picture here but it is simply too big and I see no way to reduce the size. Maybe a moderator knows how to reduce the size of it in Imgur.

Ralf

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
kONRL3Z.jpg

No magic that I know of. I just copied the link location and pasted it as an image. Something at LTG is automagically (or my browser) is sizing it to fit.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, David. That's a great photo with your first post! I like the way you use polishing cloths to protect the finish of the bass from the foam rubber of the guitar stands. I do the same thing, but I use old flannel shirts cut down to size and folded up. :welcoming:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Downright beautiful - Welcome - what's that amp under VOX?

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Thank you all. And especially thank you for the re-sizing job on the pics. I wondered if that was the problem. Max size might be approx 1100 x 1100 pixels? Now I know. Thank you.

I'm kinda paranoid about the finish on all kinds of guitars. I had a black clip-on tuner stain the CV finish on one of my Rickenbackers. Its very subtle but made me that much more cautious..

The amplifier is an Ampeg B2 Combo from the 90's. The Grill is around here somewhere ..lol. Its not very loud but it sounds good. They made a B2R as well ... A rack-mount version of the same Amplifier.

Last edited:

hieronymous

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice duo!

I'm also a Ric enthusiast and totally get the love-hate thing. Bought my first one (a '76) in 2002 and feel like I can't part with it, but every now and again...

I cycle back and forth between different basses - Guild/Gibson/Rickenbacker/Alembic/Fender for me! Depends on my mood and the material if I'm lucky enough to be playing with other people, which isn't very often unfortunately.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I also remove the TRC. they are older guild dreads, kind of beatup so it does not matter really to me. not that it improves the tone any, such a small piece of metal. welcome to ltg and i like that you lurked around here for 17 years before saying hello. just find it interesting is all. cool...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
There's a gent up in Canada who will produce truss tod covers for Guild basses. Said to be ebony.

He made me a lightening bolt inlay design which i put on the Guilembric as well as a star inlay cover for the Dark Starred bass.

You gotta look sharp!

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
There's a gent up in Canada who will produce truss tod covers for Guild basses. Said to be ebony.

He made me a lightening bolt inlay design which i put on the Guilembric as well as a star inlay cover for the Dark Starred bass.

You gotta look sharp!

I always fancied a Star Inlay on the Guild Crest shape ... even if if were out of 3ply BWB pickguard material. I dont mind the B-302 TRC at all but the one for the Starfire is just a molded black plastic crest. I should probably look into it ... four or five pointed star? hmmmm??? decisions.

And for what its worth ... my humidity has been much more stable the past couple of winters since I started buying those Boveda Humidity Control Packs. I have 3 or 4 of them in all my guitar cases now. I don't have to tweek truss-rods nearly as much anymore.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I always fancied a Star Inlay on the Guild Crest shape ... even if if were out of 3ply BWB pickguard material. I dont mind the B-302 TRC at all but the one for the Starfire is just a molded black plastic crest. I should probably look into it ... four or five pointed star? hmmmm??? decisions.
guild_starfire_iii__1966_head_front_2.jpg

Surely you don't even need to think about it.
:glee:

katthestar

Reaction score
I have to get the TRC for my Starfire bass. Mine has Dark Stars as well. And a man’s handprint.