Potential 90’s Starfire Bass Case?

katthestar

Reaction score
Potential 90’s Starfire Bass Case?

I have been looking for a case for my 1997 Starfire II Bass. I wanted to know if you guys thought this case would fit. I’m currently using a Epiphone case. I looked at listings for the 99’s Starfire bass with the case, and those all have a red plush interior with no number lock. Still, this is a TKL case. I know that the newer Starfire cases won’t work because my bass is thinner. I’m just not 100% sure what era this case is from. I think it’s a 90’s case, but I don’t want to get it unless I’m sure.
Here’s the link:
https://reverb.com/item/23897439-vintage-guild-starfire-bass-case

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
Both my 90s SF case and my NS SF case are about 4-5/8" tall (exterior, top-to-bottom with case shut and latched) so I think the difference in largely in the thickness of the padding. Otherwise, the dead giveaway in my experience is the number of latches: 5 on the NS case and 7 on the 90s case. Hope that helps. Others may know something I don't.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You may want to look at this thread. I have not reviewed it recently but like many threads it will tell you more than you asked and correct some errors.

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...hich-Starfire-bass-Thread&highlight=bass+case

Guilded posts a case there that fits a 1966 but is believed to be a 90's case for a B4. (My B4 did not have an original case but it was definitely fatter (top to bottom) than a Starfire). That case has a lot in common with the case you are looking at. I'd be willing to go with the claim that the for sale case is a 90's case. It doesn't look right compared to the 60's and 70's cases I have seen and it definitely is not a Newark Street case so by elimination if it was originally for a Starfire bass then it is a 90's case.

When it comes to 90's Starfires I am inclined to believe almost anything mavuser says since he seems to have more experience with them than anyone else.

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
Hi Kat & hello to everyone!

This is my first post here after years (Decade and a Half) of lurking.
I should probably take the time to do a formal introduction ... but I'm not gunna (right now.)
I have an interest in this subject and may have a tiny bit of insight.

Kat, I too saw that case on Reverb.
It looks exactly like the case that came with my '90s Westerly reissue.
I bought that guitar around 2002-2004 from eBay back in the hayday (before the 2009 crash.)
I always thought the case was a little sloppy loose but its definitely a guild case with a "Made In Canada" tab on the pickbox lid.
It has black interior fur, black tolex exterior with a small gold Guide Shield Logo.
Additionally, it features 4 Draw-clasps and one "Sesame Lock."
If someone told me it was intended for a wider guitar (like a B4) I would believe them in a heartbeat.
And if I could find a better fitting case, I would buy it.

BTW ... the Aforementioned guitar is : SF2B AB Maple (Starfire 2 Bass, Antique Burst on Maple)
The serial number is XX XXXXXX.
I don't remember how much I paid for it (roughly $1000.00 seems to stick in my mind) and I really have no idea from whom I bought it.
I have no access to those eBay records. (I had a really bad experience and haven't been back since.)

PS .... I'm working on pics. I know everyone likes pics.

Last edited:

gilded

Reaction score
I think I have the case that frono is talking about. It fits my '66 Star Fire Bass just fine, but is a lot longer than it should be, at least for a for a SF Bass.

I'll measure it and get back to you.

By the way, I did pay $200 for mine and while it is a nice case, it ain't worth that much!!!

gilded

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
... By the way, I did pay $200 for mine and while it is a nice case, it ain't worth that much!!!

gilded

Yeah ... +1 on that one.

Especially since you can get a JackCasady case (EJCCS) for $149 inc. shipping.
I know ppl like those.

The new Guild NS cases with the blue interior may be gone.
The new ones seem to have black interior ... but are priced inline with the JackCasady case.

I've wondered if anyone has tried Gretsch case G6299.
... Or Ibanez case ASB 100C?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the case on reverb is probably the B4E case, which would fit a starfire bass. However, there are some oddball Guild cases out there, i may have the models slightly off but an FS-46 Bass and/or FS-46-12 may have cases that look right for a starfire but might be wrong. that burned me once and almost twice. I would ask for measurements from the seller and also ask Hans to look at it. We knew what Gilded had because of his pictures *with the bass in the case. this one looks similar but for $200 id make sure. the only case made for a 90s SF bass has the red interior and fits that bass like a glove.

If you are interested in an Epiphone Cassidy case i have 2 basically brand new and can give u a nice deal on one (but no pressure at all). if it must say Guild u can also order a Newark Street SF bass case brand new. which the 90s bass *should fit. I personally would not pay $200 for the B4E case, even brand new, unless maybe I had the B4E in really nice shape...which is why I did not buy the one from the other thread for a Starfire. But I would not even pay $200 for a Hoboken SF bass case either, so, I am probably not the best example.

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
nW0xATRl.jpg

Practicing my Photo-posting skills.
I know this isn't a very good photo but ... it's the one I have.
This case came with my '90s reissue (not a GSR but it is made in Westerly. Case is from Canada)
Its a serviceable case but it pretty loose. I put extra padding in the bottom to make the fretboard level.
As you know ... the '90s reissues are 1/4 narrower in the body than the original 60/70's.

*edit* ... white pearloid plectrum. hell yeah!
Plain-jane TRC? Maybe not so much.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
nW0xATRl.jpg

Practicing my Photo-posting skills.
I know this isn't a very good photo but ... it's the one I have.
This case came with my '90s reissue (not a GSR but it is made in Westerly. Case is from Canada)
Welcome aboard "Guzz"; what a nice way to make an entrance!
It would be interesting to find out just how late your bass was, to try to determine if that was a very late production case or if perhaps there was something going on with TKL (I assume it's a TKL because TKL was their regular supplier and they are in Canada); or between them and Fender perhaps.
Reason I wonder if it's a "very late"(like even an '01) is because on the flat-top side I seem to recall also seeing a couple of "anomalous" cases that were supposed to have been factory provided with a first year ('02) Corona D50 and another model I can't recall.
In fact now that I think about it, I don't think they were even TKL cases, which was why they stuck in my memory as a possible indicator of something going on at the time.
My guess would be maybe a problem delivering, or something going a little sideways between them and Fender, in any case they did "come back" as my Corona D40's is a TKL (in fact all of 'em are) and I think every other Corona case I've seen is also TKL.
Just occurred to me:
Maybe the change from Westerly's red lining to Corona's standard green lining gave TKL a production hiccup, thus the gray lining which appears to be correct thanks to your input.
Just realized something else, this is the first time I can recall seeing a Guild case with a combination lock.
Maybe that had something to do with it, as in, "Sorry, we're all out of the original cases, here's the best thing we can offer for now".
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

Guzzitd63

Reaction score
The serial number on my Starfire is XX XXXXXX.
I cant relate that to a date but I know someone here can.
I bought it with very low miles around 2002 or so from an eBay auction.

I guess I had always assumed that they (the '90s reissues) were shipped with a less expensive case than the ones shipped with the GSR Basses.
Those cases with the red interior look very nice and I'm told fit like a glove.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The serial number on my Starfire is AG 100153.
I cant relate that to a date but I know someone here can.
Unfortunately those were issued after the last known update to Guild's own s/n charts, they only cover through '97, so only Hans Moust or somebody who's seen accurately dated numbers around it could do it.
I guess I had always assumed that they (the '90s reissues) were shipped with a less expensive case than the ones shipped with the GSR Basses.
Those cases with the red interior look very nice and I'm told fit like a glove.
Your number does seem pretty low; literally number 153.
It now occurs to me that since the SF Basses HAD been out of production for many years, maybe the real issue was that those cases were the only thing TKL could provide UNTIL they could get the red plush ones built:
"Hey TKL, we just need a few cases to get started on this SF Bass re-issue, not sure how well it's gonna sell yet. Whaddaya got?"

katthestar

Reaction score
Back when I first got my Starfire Bass, I brought it to my luthier. He told me that some of the Starfire bass cases were destroyed when Westerly closed. I have a Cassidy case now, but I don’t like how much room there is around the headstock. I did buy the case off Reverb for $250 (including shipping). I plan to sell my Cassidy case on Craigslist. Though I’m wondering if I should’ve bothered since it sounds like my bass won’t fit right in this case, either.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
While playing my D25 this weekend I realized another clue as to date the black lining was used was staring me in the face:
The lining of my D25's case is black just like Guzzitd63's case.
My D25 has a heel-block stamp date of 10-31-96 and was purchased new around March of '97; the case is the original Guild-logo'd case, the "economy" flat-topped version.
My F65ce has the red plush lining in the deluxe (arch-topped for better strength) case.
I think that case'll work fine for you.
:friendly_wink:

katthestar

Reaction score
Its on its way. I’ll let you guys know how it fits vs the Cassidy case when I get it.