In case we didn't have enough to worry about: Face mites.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Someday I want to meet the subject of this article, Michelle Trautwein at a party, and when I ask her, "what do you do?" she replies, "face mites". I then say, "tell me more!", and she replies as she did in the article:

"It can be pretty addictive and exciting," "It's sort of a meditative process of looking through this microforest of follicles and hairs and looking for just the right potential movement or shape."

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Someday I want to meet the subject of this article, Michelle Trautwein at a party, and when I ask her, "what do you do?" she replies, "face mites". I then say, "tell me more!", and she replies as she did in the article:

"It can be pretty addictive and exciting," "It's sort of a meditative process of looking through this microforest of follicles and hairs and looking for just the right potential movement or shape."

I feel the opposite - I would avoid her, and wonder how I got invited to the same party as her... :hopelessness:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

610x.jpg

At least with lice you can get a decent mouthful for your efforts.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

HAH

And you or any of us would politely reply - "That's highly interesting - I with my associates am spending my entire life experimenting with different combinations of guitar shapes, tonewoods, string materials and gauges - and that is only the surface. . . "

And like any other professional extreme or special rare occupation - those guys share their own jokes, that mostly are no jokes for those not in know. Like the one I heard in international urologist conference, where I was the soundman - impossible to translate. Or I do know the direct translation, but the joke works only in Finnish and maybe some other languages - but not in English as far I know.

For those disappointed after reading this far - here's some consolation. A friend of mine was working in national traffic security information office. The ladies in the office one fine day presented him this question : "Why is woman's fart more dangerous than man's fart?" The answer is very traffic rule oriented. I have you ponder it for some time.

DThomasC

Reaction score
You guys are funny. I'd talk to her. Not necessarily because I'm eager to learn more about face mites (I am!) but because she seems intelligent and not afraid of things she doesn't understand. I think that's the most disappointing thing about humans: they're so afraid of things they don't understand. It's directly to blame for so many really bad decisions.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think that's the most disappointing thing about humans: they're so afraid of things they don't understand. It's directly to blame for so many really bad decisions.

I gotta believe the monkeys who ran had the evolutionary advantage:

monkey-plays-with-giant-snake-in-colombo-the-capital-of-sri-lanka-on-picture-id812474910

"If only we could communicate with it somehow, find out what it wants..."

DThomasC

Reaction score
I gotta believe the monkeys who ran had the evolutionary advantage:

Which is probably why dumb people outnumber smart people.

There's a cardinal that currently spends about 20% of daylight hours waging war with its own reflection in my window. Do the chicks it's protecting have an evolutionary advantage? :unsure:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Could be. OTOH, there's a cardinal that currently spends about 20% of daylight hours waging war with its own reflection in my window. Do the chicks it's protecting have an evolutionary advantage? :unsure:

I'm sure you realize it was a humor set-up (monkey whoisn't afraid is likely to regret it); BUT:
Those animals are on different branches of the evolutionary tree, why I chose monkeys where we share the most DNA (well, with Chimpanzees, actually).
And obviously the canary isn't afraid of something it doesn't understand.
(Just sayin')
:smile-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Which is probably why dumb people outnumber smart people.
Joking aside, that depends entirely on how you define "smart".
If intelligence is defined by actions that enhance survival, then fear is smart.
Then there's a corollary that resulted in the creation of the Darwin Awards.
:glee:
But if we want to define "smart" as the ability to forecast multiple potential results of our actions and the chance of a given result occurring, and then choosing the action that most furthers our chances of survival (or some shorter-term goal), then yes, dumb people outnumber smart people.
And a single reward has more motivational persistence than 1000 punishments, which can also explain a lot of dumb behavior.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And the answer to te fart question is - TaDaa : triangle

merlin6666

Reaction score
Good stuff. If you're ever lying on the beach looking up in the sky you might see some "floaters" ... they look just like these microscopic critters. :tongue-new:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Naah - they come from behind the triangle.

We both have point down triangle warning us when entering a road with right of way . . .