new guy with a question/Sprint info request

Reaction score
Hi...forgive me if already asked previously. I found an old thread saying that the '80's Spirit models were made in Asia.
My question is, does Hans or anyone else know where all the various 80's solid body models were made and what woods?
Any plywood bodies?
I read that Flyers were likely poplar? but I've seen conflicting opinions.

Thanks for any detailed information!

-AA edited title to increase visibility ~ Default

Last edited by a moderator:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, and welcome! It was my understanding that the bodies were made in Asia, but everything else wasn't. I've never heard about ANY plywood Guilds.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it was an 86 Sprint that I saw referenced. (Spirit was typo on my part)

Also, I don't see S270/271 in the serial number charts. Only 280/281 and 284 for years 84-86. I assume the 270's got 280's serial numbers.

Is there info on what factory was contracted to make the bodies? I guess it's possible there were multiple countries and factories of origin or just was it just one company/plant?

DThomasC

Reaction score
My understanding is that if it was made in the 80's and says Guild on the headstock, then it was made in USA. I suppose there could be some confusion with Dearmond guitars saying "Guild" or "By Guild" or some such thing somewhere on the instrument, but they didn't appear until later (mid 90's?) They clearly have a Dearmond headstock anyway.

As for body material, I've seen both alder and poplar on bolt-neck instruments. Add mahogany and ash with set-neck. Never heard of plywood being used on any USA made Guild solidbody. Of course it's typical in hollow and semi-hollow body instruments.

Of course I've been wrong a couple of times. :stupid:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi...forgive me if already asked previously. I found an old thread saying that the '80's Spirit models were made in Asia.
Welcome aboard, AA, it'd be nice to see a link to the old thread to verify the context.***
I haven't paid nearly as much attention to the electric as the acoustic forums, but I'm pretty sure if I'd come across that it would have stuck, being such an exception to what we're accustomed to.
I'm wondering if there might have been some confusion over the Madeira brand guitars, which Guild owned the name for, and used as an import acoustic brand in the '80's and '90's, and which also produced several solid-body models during that time. Some of 'em (understandably) appeared to be clones of Guild standards like the S100, and even Les Paul and Stratocaster bodies, but all had the Madeira name on the headstock.
If there was an imported solid-body(s) from the era that'd be my bet for the most likely source, the same outfit that built the acoustics for 'em.

***Ah, I see now that GAD posted a link to an old thread about 'em.
In that thread I see Ralf (SFIV1967) says Hans confirmed they were made with imported bodies, post #9 in that thread.
Ralf's one of our most highly respected detectives and historians here (at least to me), and the other 2 sources he mentioned actually worked at Westerly, so you can take that post to the bank.
Just by way of confirming the reliability of the source.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi...yes, I meant the Sprint, not Spirit.
After reading that the '86 Sprint body was made in Asia, I was just curious as to the Guild solidbody manufacturing process from the 80's compared to other guitar companies. Wide area of information I guess, but being relatively new to the vintage Guild world, my interest was piqued.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In that thread I see Ralf (SFIV1967) says Hans confirmed they were made with imported bodies, post #9 in that thread.
It was only in reference to what workedinwesterly had said there. And I also had a disclaimer there saying that Hans did not say which model numbers or if all Sprint models. As you know Hans didn't want to tell too much so far as this is supposed to be a whole chapter in his (hopefully soon) upcoming second book. So I guess we have to be patient just that little bit longer...
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It was only in reference to what workedinwesterly had said there. And I also had a disclaimer there saying that Hans did not say which model numbers or if all Sprint models. As you know Hans didn't want to tell too much so far as this is supposed to be a whole chapter in his (hopefully soon) upcoming second book. So I guess we have to be patient just that little bit longer...
Ralf

Good point, my comment was too broad, apologies for throwing you under the bus while trying to corroborate your credibility.
I was actually in the process of making that point about Hans and the info possibly being" valuable intellectual property" when I saw that he had touched on the subject before; so edited down my post (if you can believe that, LOL!).

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have we reached the point for the need to post Sprint guitar photos?

1629569042088.png

1629569084513.png

Last edited by a moderator: