"Never Play Acoustic Guitar for a Woman" -- thoughts?

crank

Reaction score
Funny and well written with perhaps more than a hint of truth, IMO.

Had a conversation with my friend Amy one time about how many dudes trying to impress her have played Amie for her over the years. Seems most failed to impress. Of course this was at her 50th birthday party and me and another guy did play Amie for her.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I actually think she makes a decent point here. I have some friends who I truly believe are convinced the world wants to hear them play wherever they are and whatever the occasion. These guys are certainly no better than me and in some cases actually worse (so that tells ya somethin' right there)

I never, ever assume anybody wants to hear me play period. Unless I'm asked I just join in the conversation and leave the guitar alone.

I will say most people ask me to play something and strangely enough seem to actually like what I do but there are some that just aren't into it (whether it's a Guild or not)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I never, ever assume anybody wants to hear me play period. Unless I'm asked I just join in the conversation and leave the guitar alone.

I subscribe to the same notion Richard. I typically play in the bedroom most nights for a bit.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I will say most people ask me to play something and strangely enough seem to actually like what I do but there are some that just aren't into it (whether it's a Guild or not)
After a while one becomes aware of the reality of culture gaps.
Call me guilty of stereotyping but I probably wouldn't stop and ask this one if she wanted to hear one of my tunes:

g2a57f-l.jpg

Even worse, if she stopped me and told me to play something I'd pull out "Evil Ways".

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
but Al, maybe if she saw the F65 first, it might prevent her from wanting to hurt you. :)

actually, i bet she wouldn't kick my butt if i pulled out the all busted up old D35.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
After a while one becomes aware of the reality of culture gaps.
Call me guilty of stereotyping but I probably wouldn't stop and ask this one if she wanted to hear one of my tunes:

g2a57f-l.jpg

Even worse, if she stopped me and told me to play something I'd pull out "Evil Ways".

Al, somehow I picture here as the perfect companion and soul mate for you. Best of luck to you two.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, somehow I picture here as the perfect companion and soul mate for you. Best of luck to you two.
Funny thing about stereotyping, I never woulda thought this one would be compatible either:
826px-Empress_Gobele_Wan_Rong_%28c1920-1940%29_Attribution_Unk_%28RESTORED%29_%284079335528%29.jpg

That's China's last Empress Wan Rong; XiaoBing looks so much like her I wonder if there's actually a direct family connection, but if there is it may well have been concealed by her family during the Cultural Revolution.
XiaoBing isn't aware of any relationship.
WanRong was an outrageous feminist by Chinese standards (indeed many different culture's measures in the '20's), as well:
248px-Empress_Wan_Rong_Smoking_Cigarette.jpg

Or maybe it's just that same Ghengis Khan DNA that's so widely dispersed it's said something like 1 in 200 men on the planet have some?
"Bone in the saddle", indeed.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....And I played guitar for my wife the first time I saw her.... Yeah, it was folk mass and the interval between first guitar and first kiss was something like 8 or 10 years, but it worked for me, didn't it?

Ha. For me, it was a piano in a bar in New Orleans (when the player took a break) the first time I met her in person. We lived 700 miles apart, had talked over the internet for a few weeks, and decided to meet in New Orleans (which was more like 1800 miles away for both of us, lol.) We actually met at the New Orleans airport, made out on the taxi ride into town, and I proposed 2 weeks later. She said yes right then and there. That was 20 years ago. Worked for me! :tiger:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Coug, what a great romantic story. Congrats you lovebirds!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ha. For me, it was a piano in a bar in New Orleans (when the player took a break) the first time I met her in person. We lived 700 miles apart, had talked over the internet for a few weeks, and decided to meet in New Orleans (which was more like 1800 miles away for both of us, lol.) We actually met at the New Orleans airport, made out on the taxi ride into town, and I proposed 2 weeks later. She said yes right then and there. That was 20 years ago. Worked for me! :tiger:

Dang.
I only went to a dance mixer, when I got curious about whether the stereotypes about Asian women were true ("No Drama", I was tired of drama, LOL!)
For the most part in my experience, yes.
Xiaobing and I dated like 3 or 4 times and then she moved to Los Angeles.
After a couple of other "almost but not quite" GF's I was "single" again and ok with it, and I got a letter.
She was back in San Jose, would I like to get together?
Well boy howdy as Grace Slick would say.
If you let 'em go and they come back they really do love you.
I'm a lucky guy right now.
And far from telling her "Wait, I want to play this for you", it's more like "Baby, I have to rest for a while, the shoulders're gettin' a little tired".
"OK. Backrub?"
"Um, yeah, that'd be great..."

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played and sang a song for my wife, when we were dating. I was nervous. She has never wanted me to play a song ever again.

For the record, " My sweet Lady ", by J Denver.

mike1100

Reaction score
A while back I asked the Mrs. what does it for her, "piano or guitar sweetheart?" She said, "Oh, I like them both, but a man that can play the piano is so sexy." Thank God I started piano lessons back in the 2nd grade. :friendly_wink:

We clicked over 20 years this year.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
My God. Really? Do guys do that? I'm embarassed for our entire sex. It's a clear and tragic case of confusing foreplay with bore-play. Might as well show her a couple of card tricks, fer crisake. Or pull out your etchings.

When women want to go to bed, they want to go to bed! (They're kind of like the rest of us that way.)

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
PS - An old friend of mine met an acoustic singer/guitarist in a bar, and after his show she took him home with her. She said that after sex he played his guitar for her.

She said, "I would have preferred another orgasm. But it was nice."

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

I was waiting for this one to show up.

As for the OP I read a well written piece of humor/commentary that plays with several stereotypes and I wonder if we are missing an opportunity to laugh, perhaps at ourselves?