"Never Play Acoustic Guitar for a Woman" -- thoughts?

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My first impression is that she is not someone I could ever tolerate let alone want to play guitar for. That being said the premise she is writing about seems a bit contrived.

Sal

Reaction score
I went with a girl in art school and a few times early on she wanted to break up with me but she'd see me later playing my Guild D25 and she'd be back with me that night. She soon wanted to marry but I wanted to wander. I still have the Guild.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
playing for a lady is fine, just make sure she asks first. then u tell her “no im not very good” ...make her beg!
have never had any problems in this department. but that’s just me. sounds like the author is a real winner! her dates would rather practice guitar, than get her between the sheets!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey lady, have a nice life with your cats!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Could the word "lady" be used, incorrectly? In my interpretation, it is!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, I think she covered every cliche' ever written about guitar playing and relationships...

walrus

Grassdog

Reaction score
I'm guessing her article is aimed at dudes who have no idea what they're doing playing guitar and embarrass themselves (that couldn't be any of us at LTG). So no offense is taken and I'm inclined to cut her some slack on this. I think she says something to the effect that this doesn't apply to guitar players that one would otherwise pay to hear play.

I think a better topic for the article would have been how is it that sometimes these inept dudes manage to succeed in their efforts.

Antney

Reaction score
There’s nothing more special than when you’re about to bone down with a man and he stops. "Wait," he says breathlessly, "I want to play you something."

She’s talking about saddle material here, isn’t she?

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems a rather selfish point of view to me. She seems to have the only goal as having sex and 1) cannot fathom why a guy would rather wrap his arms around a guitar rather than here, and 2) expects something offered as a gift to be perfect rather than accepting that the thought was good even if the execution was imperfect. If she ever finds a guy to put her on her pedestal she may find it lonely after a short time .....

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The chick said:
There’s nothing more special than when you’re about to bone down with a man and he stops. "Wait," he says breathlessly, "I want to play you something."

Oh right, like that happens all the time. The guitar is probably what got her in the room in the first place. I guess she needed something to write about, and she came up with the stupidest thing she could think of.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
She probably has just never heard or seen a Guild.

PittPastor

Reaction score
She probably has just never heard or seen a Guild.

Ha! Best answer so far, I think...

I think it might also be song choice. "Hey There Delilah?" Really? Not much of a seduction there. "My Sweet Lady," "Kathy's Song," even Chapin's "Poor Damn Fool" or "I Wanna Learn a Love Song" would do better.

I mean... I imagine. Being a Pastor and all, I wouldn't know. (cough! cough! Forget for a moment that I haven't always been a Pastor...)

Anyway, whenever I hear "Hey There, Delilah" I think of Tim Hawkins cover

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Seems a rather selfish point of view to me. She seems to have the only goal as having sex and 1) cannot fathom why a guy would rather wrap his arms around a guitar rather than her, and 2) expects something offered as a gift to be perfect rather than accepting that the thought was good even if the execution was imperfect. If she ever finds a guy to put her on her pedestal she may find it lonely after a short time .....

Funny you should mention that... one of my girlfriends once accused me of being too materialistic because I told her "No I couldn't be happy after the apocalypse without a real guitar"...the same one later accused me of not being ambitious enough to want to make more money....Hello? I'm the one who's held my (then-current) job for 5 years and been promoted to assistant manager while you've had 3 jobs in the last 5 and 9 months of unemployment mixed in...
Then there was the one that said when she watched me play she decided I was more in love with my axe than her...probably true since I didn't have to keep worrying when my guitar would drink too much again with the usual shrewish drama results.
The dissolution of that one was followed by a long period of indifferent single life.
So was resigned to not having a GF who shared my tastes in music and didn't really "put it out there".
Then one day I was just practicing when XiaoBing came by and caught me red-handed.
Said she loved it and pulled out her cellphone and asked me to please let her make video.
About a month later told me she listened to 'em when she went to sleep, they were her lullabies.
Unfortunately that phone was lost/stolen but with the new one she could upload to YouTube which she promptly did because she wanted to show her boyfriend off to the world.
That one's a keeper, I'm tellin' ya.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha! Best answer so far, I think...

I think it might also be song choice. "Hey There Delilah?" Really? Not much of a seduction there. "My Sweet Lady," "Kathy's Song," even Chapin's "Poor Damn Fool" or "I Wanna Learn a Love Song" would do better.

I mean... I imagine. Being a Pastor and all, I wouldn't know. (cough! cough! Forget for a moment that I haven't always been a Pastor...)

Anyway, whenever I hear "Hey There, Delilah" I think of Tim Hawkins cover

he is the best. the government can song, subway, just genius

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Paul Simon - Keep The Customers Satisfied : "..... I hear words I never read in the Bible . . . ."
LTG - all of you - thank you so much : " I learn expressions I never heard before - and they please me!"

If I only could remember them, when needed . . .

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually kind of funny - I like her writing voice. I suspect that as a young man James Taylor would close his eyes while playing something for whatever young lady he was with only to open them to a naked woman standing there with smoldering come-hither look.

And I played guitar for my wife the first time I saw her.

Yeah, it was folk mass and the interval between first guitar and first kiss was something like 8 or 10 years, but it worked for me, didn't it?

CA-35

Reaction score
I know this has been posted here before but it just seems so apropos maybe someone should send her a copy.

Why Guitars are Better than Women:

Guitars don't have parents.
Guitars don't whine... unless you want them to.
You can share your Guitar with your friends.
Guitars don't care how many other Guitars you've played
Guitars don't care how many other Guitars you have.
Guitars don't care if you look at other Guitars.
Guitars don't care if you buy Guitar magazines.
You'll never hear, "Surprise, you are going to proud father of a new Guitar" unless you go out to buy one yourself.
If your Guitar is flat you can fix it.
Your Guitar doesn't care if you never listen to it.
Your Guitar won't care if you leave up the toilet seat.
You don't have to be jealous of the guy who works on your Guitar.
If you say bad things to your Guitar, you don't have to apologize before you play it again.
You can play your Guitar as long as you want and it won't get sore.
You can stop playing your Guitar as soon as you want and it won't get frustrated.
Your parents won't remain in touch with your old Guitar after you dump it.
Guitars don't get headaches.
Guitars don't insult you if you're a bad player.
Your Guitar never wants a night out with the other Guitars.
Guitars don't care if you're late.
You don't have to take a shower before you play your Guitar.
If your Guitar doesn't look good you can refinish it or get new parts.
You can play your Guitar the first time you meet it, without having to take it to dinner, see a movie, or meet its mother.
The only protection you have to wear when playing your Guitar is a decent thumb pick.
When in mixed company, you can talk about what a great time you had the last time you played your Guitar.

and last, but not least:

If you decide to part with an old Guitar, you don't have to give up at least half of everything you own.