An "Orf" NGD

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I ran across a 2014 "NOS" Orpheum 12FSHM, which in the code denotes a 12-fretter with a slotted headstock and mahogany back & sides. I had to take it down and give it a bit of a strum. Jeez... I'd forgotten how good these guitars are. The guitar was in a local shop, who had been a Guild dealer a few years ago. Turns out he was looking for a Gibson 335 for someone and I had one that I was going to put on Reverb next week. Well, we worked a straight-up swap and I couldn't be happier.

And it carries the "Jason McIntyre" sig, too. My favorite Custom Shop builder.

For those who are keeping track of such things: S/N NR098005 which I calculate to be the 5th guitar from April 8, 2014.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Outstanding, Dave. I can't recall, is that a slope dread style or OOO style? Funny, I'd forgotten that they did the slot head, 12-fret on a 6 string.

Yes, please post some pix when you have an opportunity! Congrats!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Outstanding, Dave. I can't recall, is that a slope dread style or OOO style? Funny, I'd forgotten that they did the slot head, 12-fret on a 6 string.

Yes, please post some pix when you have an opportunity! Congrats!

Not a dread, Charlie. Not quite the same as a traditional "OOO", either. I believe it's considered an "OM".

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking forward to pix, Dave. Sounds completely awesome! OM it is. My slothead 12-string (also 12-fret) is OOO body style, at least according to the label. I think every label on their small run of 12-strings was different! :) :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations Dave and nice to see someone with your skill complimenting Guild sincerely.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've never played one of the 12-fret Orphs, but the 14s I've played have been tremendous, so I would expect great things from this one.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Dave! Those are great guitars with a Huge voice for as small of a body as they have. One of my Favorite fingerstyle guitars ever.

TX

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations Dave! I think the 12 fret Orpheums are considered to be “000” because they’re short scale (using the Martin convention). I had a rosewood model pass through here on its way to SouthernGuild in Oz a few years back (could it really be five?), and it was a great guitar. It’s a shame we’ll probably never see any more of these wonderful guitars

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here's a quick photo.

tC4ouEd.jpg

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow! That's a beauty, Dave! Especially nice in a 12 fretter and with the slotted headstock. Congrats to you!! :encouragement::encouragement:

merlin6666

Reaction score
Thanks, Ralf. I was just there, trying to resolve the OOO vs OM discussion. They list the body shape as being Orchestra, which is what I was going with.

I think that some of them also have 000 written on the label. And still a handful NOS in stores surprisingly.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
T...trying to resolve the OOO vs OM discussion. They list the body shape as being Orchestra, which is what I was going with.
I think that some of them also have 000 written on the label.
The pricelists listed them as "000" and not "Orchestra". For instance "Orpheum® 000 SHS" and SHS for "slotted head stock".

In the Martin world a OM-28 has 25.4" scale length whereas a 000-28 has 24.9" as example. So the Orpheum's 24.75 would make it the 000 and not the OM.

Ralf

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Certainly looks like like the body of my 12-string, Dave. Again, congrats:

Sure does. The 12-string version. My experience with 12-fret 12-stringers is limited to Taylor, but they sure do have a great feel.