DCE-1; what's the skinny?

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
Two questions/one post: DCE-1, also installing pup in D-46

I realize there's a pretty recent post on the DCE-1 already, but I didn't want to hijack it, especially given how infrequently I frequent these pages. Anyway, I swung by the generally-least-promising of my local guitar shops today, and was pleasantly surprised to find one of these. I'd never played one and I enjoyed it a fair amount. Needs new strings, of course, but it sounded pretty rich, especially compared to the Ibanez a/e I've been playing for the last couple years, which I'm looking to replace. Intonation was good; overall condition was a little rough but nothing egregious; the most worrying thing was that the whaddayacallit, control panel for the electronics seemed a little wobbly. Asking price: $550.

So is there anything I should know about these? Does the price seem fair? Hidden gems or hidden lemons?

Clarification/second question: My primary purpose here is to find something to play through my semi-massive pedalboard that also sounds good on its own. The Ibanez sounds decent plugged & effected but not so hot solo/unplugged. The other thing I'm considering is just getting a good pickup installed in the D-46; I'd also be interested in hearing people's reactions to that idea...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I realize there's a pretty recent post on the DCE-1 already, but I didn't want to hijack it, especially given how infrequently I frequent these pages. Anyway, I swung by the generally-least-promising of my local guitar shops today, and was pleasantly surprised to find one of these. I'd never played one and I enjoyed it a fair amount. Needs new strings, of course, but it sounded pretty rich, especially compared to the Ibanez a/e I've been playing for the last couple years, which I'm looking to replace. Intonation was good; overall condition was a little rough but nothing egregious; the most worrying thing was that the whaddayacallit, control panel for the electronics seemed a little wobbly. Asking price: $550.

So is there anything I should know about these? Does the price seem fair? Hidden gems or hidden lemons?

Clarification/second question: My primary purpose here is to find something to play through my semi-massive pedalboard that also sounds good on its own. The Ibanez sounds decent plugged & effected but not so hot solo/unplugged. The other thing I'm considering is just getting a good pickup installed in the D-46; I'd also be interested in hearing people's reactions to that idea...

Thanks in advance!

If you get the DCE-1 you'll have an archback to have an option to the D46. I'm very sensitive to the difference these days, I actually now believe flatbacks are better suited for recording to mics.
I don't think anybody here ever said they met a DCE-1 they didn't like.
NO hidden lemons, just check for the usualissues: neck angle, braces tight; functional electronics.
Those were basically cutaway D4's (No headstock faceplate so no pearloid logo, satin finish 'hog archback) with a little added D25 bling (binding, and gold plated tuners that weren't used on D4 or D25 except a couple of special editions.
Yeah $550 good price for good condition and functional electronics; especially if comes with case, for what you describe, see if they'll drop another $50-100?
The Fishman UST was state-of-the-art at the time, if it's got output you'll probably be ok with that as a starting point for your signal chain.
PS it should have the "True American" TRC, it was the inaugural model for the series.