more photobucket crap

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The only option is to go back to their original model which I sincerely doubt will happen. That probably would not even be enough. Their poor decision (and total disregard for customers) opened up the market to competitors. They are not getting that market share back. They have become almost irrelevant over the 4 years (?) since they choked on their own hubris.

A classic case of mismanagement. So many examples, especially in the tech world. Atari, anyone? Lotus 123? My Space? 😬

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still have a Photoeffit free account and simply ignore all the email noise. I was able to easily download everything I had using a Chrome plug-in and move what I needed to over to Imgur. I keep the free account around mostly to see what they're going to try next.

After the 2017 debacle where they were accused of breaking the internet, their new management team went on a widespread apology tour promising to never be so evil ever again.

Looks like that may be coming to an end.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
A classic case of mismanagement. So many examples, especially in the tech world. Atari, anyone? Lotus 123? My Space? 😬

walrus

I think none more than Blackberry. Boy, did they ever blow it! And man, am I happy that I've never used Photobucket.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, there's no coming back from breaking the internet. I just get amused that they keep sending me email and don't just shut down my account. I wouldn't go near that place with a 10-foot pole now. I think imgur, for example, is a private company and could do the same thing, but I hope they've found a way to profit without shutting down free services.

It does make you wonder what would happen if Google decided to do something similar. They wouldn't (I think), but they probably could.

F312

Reaction score
Yeah, there's no coming back from breaking the internet. I just get amused that they keep sending me email and don't just shut down my account. I wouldn't go near that place with a 10-foot pole now. I think imgur, for example, is a private company and could do the same thing, but I hope they've found a way to profit without shutting down free services.

It does make you wonder what would happen if Google decided to do something similar. They wouldn't (I think), but they probably could.

I wish they would.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

*ANYTHING* stored in the cloud is not yours, regardless of what any marketing tells you - and I work for a company that enables the cloud! If you don't have control over the systems holding your data, then your data can be removed/held hostage/sold/given away at the system owner's whim.

Entire websites have gone away removing decades of information along with them, and that's not even what most people consider "the cloud". As someone who does a lot of Internet research, the sheer amount of amazing Knowledge lost (including lots of posts about Guild from Hans!) when Fender decided to close its forums was staggering. 12 years of posts just gone. I'm here to tell you that that can happen with any provider on the Internet at any time. Including LTG. That's actually why I took stewardship of the site.

Security is a balance of convenience vs. paranoia, and we as a society have been so taken with the convenience of the cloud that we've all but abandoned any sense of security. We believe what the cloud providers tell us about how secure they are, then they have huge data leaks and if your stuff hasn't been compromised, then your personal information has.

When I saw how people lost all their photos when Photobucket went evil, I was horrified but not surprised. People trust the cloud and put their photos there without any copies at home.

The cloud is not to be trusted. Ever.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I and several other members here divorced Photobucket a few years ago when they pulled their last fiasco.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love it when people get paranoid for about 5 minutes and put up one of those, "Any and all data, images, etc., are mine and mine alone....... yada, yada, yada" and think they're okay even though they just posted personal stuff on Facebook. Honey, you put it on FB, that $hit is GONE from your control forever. It's out there now. Get real!!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I love it when people get paranoid for about 5 minutes and put up one of those, "Any and all data, images, etc., are mine and mine alone....... yada, yada, yada" and think they're okay even though they just posted personal stuff on Facebook. Honey, you put it on FB, that [****] is GONE from your control forever. It's out there now. Get real!!

Exactly! These companies don't have to ask for it - YOU put it there voluntarily!

There are always some students in my classes (college age) who are shocked to hear this. You can see them thinking about what they have posted and what would happen if their mother found out! :ROFLMAO:

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yup, once you post something to the internet, it lives forever.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Exactly! These companies don't have to ask for it - YOU put it there voluntarily!

There are always some students in my classes (college age) who are shocked to hear this. You can see them thinking about what they have posted and what would happen if their mother found out! :ROFLMAO:

walrus

Electrons are forever!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Electrons are forever
They are all I need to expose me
They can help the world to know me
Even though there’s really nothing
Why they should know of me

Electrons are forever
Send a pic out - then regret it
Desperately trying forget it
No way that you can delete it
It will always be there

I don’t need privacy
For what good will it do me?
Electrons never lie to me
For when privacy’s gone
I’m exposed bare naked

Electrons are forever
Sparkling round my keyboard
Sent out via net provider
Publicity’s like bad karma
That will never leave you

Electrons are forever . . . .

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Years later, I'm still getting this crap email. Oh, the latest is this:

"Your photos may be subject to deletion. Verify & secure your account today."

Geez, are they really winning anyone back since they messed up the internet? Wouldn't go near them with a 10-foot pole.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh, no!!!!! "Your photos may be subject to deletion. Verify & secure your account today." What will I do? Who should I run to?

Man... stop threatening me and just delete them for goodness sake! Does this annoying email really bring any burned customers back to them?