Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Immortal Secretariat

Ah, Sandy, my bro', I hear you on the vilification of a nice man, Pancho Martin (Now whenever I sing Pancho and Lefty, which I do about every other gig, I'm gonna think of this).

But Hollywood always screws up the source material, don't they? I wonder though, do you think that the Chenery family viewed Mr. Martin as a threat? Or is it just pure Hollywood?
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp,

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    Ah, Sandy, my bro', I hear you on the vilification of a nice man, Pancho Martin (Now whenever I sing Pancho and Lefty, which I do about every other gig, I'm gonna think of this).

But Hollywood always screws up the source material, don't they? I wonder though, do you think that the Chenery family viewed Mr. Martin as a threat? Or is it just pure Hollywood?
    Not that I was ever aware of, Harry. I didn't know the Chenerys very well, but the times that I did meet them, they always seemed like gracious people who had an abiding love for the sport, which is a far cry from most of the owners these days. I don't think they were friendly with the Martins or the Sommers, but they were always cordial.

If there was a gruff character in the cast, it was definitely Lucien Laurin, Secretariat's trainer. I didn't know him very well, but knew his son Roger much better. Roger was one of the coolest cats on the backstretch, and showed up every morning looking like a movie star in his BMW 6 Series coupe. My favorite Roger moment? When he was interviewed about retiring by Jim McKay with John Galbreath (Owner of Darby Dan farm, and mastermind of the BC) before the inaugural Breeders' Cup Juvenile in 1984. Asked why he was retiring so young, Roger managed to say "Fifty (his age at the time) is an old man in this game" with a straight face, while standing between two guys who were older than the hills at the time.

Then his horse went out and did this.

The horse he ran down won the Kentucky Derby the next year, on the lead the entire way. I'll never forget it!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

"I don't think they were friendly with the Martins or the Sommers, but they were always cordial."

Cordiality can hide a host of feelings, Sandy mon'.
    Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post

And I like Harry's approach.
    '66 Starfire I SB bass, '67 Mark IV pear wood, '75 Mark 4 P padauk,
    '66 Thunderbird amp, '68 Thunder 1 RVT amp,

Quote Originally Posted by gilded View Post
    "I don't think they were friendly with the Martins or the Sommers, but they were always cordial."

Cordiality can hide a host of feelings, Sandy mon'.
    I'm well aware of that Harry, but it was a different era then. These days, the gloves would just be off. At least back then, they had some sense of decorum and respect for the game. Almost all of that is long gone these days, and not just in thoroughbred racing, either.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '61 Mark VI, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '86 Pilot 602P, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602MF, '99 DeArmond Starfire Bass
    '10 F512NT, '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst), '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype, '13 Orpheum OM Mahogany, '13 GSR M85II Bass

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    ....... Sham, who was Secretariat's main rival (he did get close to him a few times), and ran in all three Triple crown races against him, eventually being distanced in the Belmont Stakes. It's a shame, because he would have been a champion, and perhaps even a Triple Crown winner if he had been born at any other time.
    Spot on Sandy. Timing and leverage. Sham, at any other time would have been a champion if it had not been for Secretariat. Phil Michelson at any other time would have been a multi-major winner but he ran into Tiger Woods, Peyton Manning may have won 6 Superbowls had it not been for a skinny kid named Tom Brady. Life is full of stories like that.
    Busted out in SoFlo waiting on a Guild,
    Scott
    '66 MKII "Marketta
    '76 D-25M-E "Donna"
    '78 D-50 "Dharma"
    '98 Starfire 4 "Summer"

"Well done is better than well said"-Benjamin Franklin

Affirmed & Alydar

Ali & Frazier
    - besides before buying more guitars I should learn to play better . . . Nuuska
    -I don't play because I'm good, just because i like it.Tom in Vegas

1958 CE-100 Capri
    1966 F-20
    1988 D15
    1996 F4CE Sick puppy
    1996 A25
    Several assorted DeArmonds
    The odd Epi
    A Dorado resonator

The Triple Crown in horse racing is pretty rare. If memory serves me correctly Secretariat won in 1977. He was a big, powerful, and smart horse. Then in 1978, Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown. He was a bargain basement horse, but he made the owners a ton of money. He did have pedigree, but never showed too much promise.

Tom
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark 5 NT, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    If memory serves me correctly Secretariat won in 1977
    Secretariat was 1973
    '88 GF-30
    '78 F-212XL
    '83 D-25 SB
    '17 F-1512E
    '97 JF-55
    '80 G-37 SB ANT
    '03 F-412
    '64 Gibson Country Western
    '02 Gibson J-100
    '11 Gibson Southern Jumbo
    '05 Blueridge BR-160
    Fender Telecaster - '52 Reissue

That's what I get for relying on my memory. I just checked Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown in 1977. Even though they weren't back to back years, they weren't very far apart.
    Guild Mark VI, Hoboken 1967 Brazilian Rosewood--The Crown Jewel
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1964 Maple
    Guild Mark 5 NT, Westerley 1986 East Indian Rosewood
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1966 Pearwood

Guild Mark V, Westerly 1982--Sold to Sandy
    Guild Mark V, Hoboken 1966--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1971--Sold to Dan D.
    Guild Mark IV, Hoboken 1972--Sold

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox103 View Post
    The Triple Crown in horse racing is pretty rare. If memory serves me correctly Secretariat won in 1977. He was a big, powerful, and smart horse. Then in 1978, Seattle Slew won the Triple Crown. He was a bargain basement horse, but he made the owners a ton of money. He did have pedigree, but never showed too much promise
    As others have noted, Secretariat won the Triple Crown in 1973. Seattle Slew (the bargain basement colt) was the first undefeated Triple Crown winner in 1977. then came Affirmed in 1978, duking it out with Alydar in all three races, with the belmont Stakes that year being one of the greatest races I've ever seen. As a four year old, I was Affirmed's personal security for the last six months of his racing career, and to this day, I've never been around a greater horse (Secretariat was a bit before my time). After he won the Jockey Club Gold Cup in 1979 (beating Spectacular Bid in the process), Lou Wolfson (Affirmed's owner) stuck something in my pocket back at the barn, and said "go have dinner". I didn't look until I got off my shift a bit later, and it was the first time I'd ever seen a $100 bill. I almost passed out, as that was a lot of money back then! Here's a very young me on the day Affirmed retired. They had a special "Affirmed Day" at Aqueduct, and paraded him to a much approving and raucous crowd, and Affirmed just struck pose after pose for the cameras, like the rock star he was.

This photo hangs on my office wall, along with a signed and numbered print by Anthony M. Alonso of Affimed with Jose Ithier up (he's the short guy in the photo, and was Affirmed's regular exercise rider).

In 1989, I was able to tour a bunch of horse farms in Lexington KY, and got to see old rivals Affirmed and Alydar in adjacent stalls before everything came crumbling down at Calumet Farm (that's another story).
    Sandy