Gibson acoustics at GC

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sorry, but I continue to find manufacturing flaws in Gibson acoustics that are not present on Martins and Taylors. Gibson seems to have problems making a clean neck joint, the finishes are wrinkly and uneven where they join. Inlays are also rough and unlevel.

Their J-45 basic 'hog body with spruce top lists for $2,499.00 No inlays, only a Gibson gold decal on the headstock. At that price, that guitar should be perfect. It wasn't.

Of course, they didn't even have any Guilds.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not questioning you at all Dread. I will report however, that I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics (although 1 is for sale) and they are all superb IMHO. Although Guild is my Brand of choice, I've found I prefer the Gibson line to both Martin and Taylor. They just have a unique Gibson sound/tone that I at least, find appealing.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics....

I only have one, which I got from Chicago Music Exchange. This 2018 Bozeman-built Songwriter 12-string is awesomely flawless.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember Ren Ferguson telling me at LMG3 "Guitar Center is not where you want to buy a Gibson guitar" after I said something similar to him. He would have certainly known, too.

JF-30

Reaction score
Yeah no matter what. Unless I see the guitar come out of the box at GC, I consider it a used guitar. Every kid on the planet has beat the hell out of every guitar there. And if your 16 and you can, do you want to play the $500 guitar or the $2500 guitar?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Not questioning you at all Dread. I will report however, that I've had a much more positive experience with Gibson product. I presently have 9 Gibson acoustics (although 1 is for sale) and they are all superb IMHO. Although Guild is my Brand of choice, I've found I prefer the Gibson line to both Martin and Taylor. They just have a unique Gibson sound/tone that I at least, find appealing.

They always had the best company spokespersons too.
Evelyn_Nesbit-The-Real-Gibson-Girl.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
i would still love a J45 someday.

There's nothing quite like a good round shoulder Gibson. I love my WM45. It probably has the best neck of any of mine, and it's my only short scale as well. I often think of selling it because I don't play it as much as I should, but the last time I did that I just went out and bought another one.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's nothing quite like a good round shoulder Gibson. I love my WM45. It probably has the best neck of any of mine, and it's my only short scale as well. I often think of selling it because I don't play it as much as I should, but the last time I did that I just went out and bought another one.

sandy, those WM-45s were a great idea by Gibson, even though they only lasted a few years, i dont remember, but it was like 1100 new. for basically a J-45. you are wise to keep it. i never see them come up. those that bought them, keep them :)

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
sandy, those WM-45s were a great idea by Gibson, even though they only lasted a few years, i dont remember, but it was like 1100 new. for basically a J-45. you are wise to keep it. i never see them come up. those that bought them, keep them :)

Hey Wood. Remember some time back you posted about an African Zebrawood J 45 at a guitar store in Arizona?? (Tucson I think). I ended up buying that. It's a pretty special guitar.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Wood. Remember some time back you posted about an African Zebrawood J 45 at a guitar store in Arizona?? (Tucson I think). I ended up buying that. It's a pretty special guitar.

nice richard! it sure looked interesting. what is the tonewood like compared to hog or rw?

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Probably not the low end you can get out of a RW but in my opinion, a low end of a RW guitar can get a bit muddy at times. Likely not as over all balanced as a good Mahogany but I think a bit more mid and treble than a Mahogany guitar can get you. It's just a fine guitar. So, I have 4 of the J 45's. A RW with the vine board inlays, a Maple, the Zebrawood and also the Mahogany. All different but each pretty special in its own way. I'm pretty sure the J 45's will be my last Gibsons to go.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

When I told Ren I owned one, his eyes lit up, and he told me that "It's the most intelligent Gibson acoustic you can own". He went on to say that they were built on the same line as the J45s, and most of them used nicer looking tops, because they weren't partially hidden by the sunburst. The whole "Working Man" line was Ren's idea, and he and Henry J were often at loggerheads about it, because Henry J thought they were cannibalizing sales from "regular" J45s (and he might have been right). They were discontinued by Gibson, citing "poor sales". I'm glad I bought mine when I did, because you hardly ever see them come up for sale now, and when you do, they're priced more like J45s, like this one for instance.

I owned a WM-00 for a while (J-185 size body, with mahogany sides and back), and you see these come up for sale even less than the WM45s. I didn't bond with the chunky neck though, and sold it, but I always liked the shape of the body and the sound.

25553853284_80b3db436b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Probably not the low end you can get out of a RW but in my opinion, a low end of a RW guitar can get a bit muddy at times. Likely not as over all balanced as a good Mahogany but I think a bit more mid and treble than a Mahogany guitar can get you. It's just a fine guitar. So, I have 4 of the J 45's. A RW with the vine board inlays, a Maple, the Zebrawood and also the Mahogany. All different but each pretty special in its own way. I'm pretty sure the J 45's will be my last Gibsons to go.

sounds like it would record well with a mic. sweet!

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I own a Gibson J40 with the pinless bridge. I've forgotten how to insert an image and I wanted to show how well it has aged over 45 years. I've owned the guitar for 30 of those years. There's so much talk (online) on how it's a cheaper version of the J45 but none of it is true IMHO. It plays nothing like a J45, looks nothing like a J45, nor does it sound anything like a J45. It's a solid spruce top with HOG back and sides. I use John Pearse mediums on all my guitars. In my way of thinking, using the same strings on all the acoustics is more about defining the guitar than the strings.

I've had a number of go-to guitars over the years and it's odd how that changes from time to time. It seems there's always one tucked away somewhere that I haven't played for awhile when, lo and behold, it still comes alive in its own way. My Guild D15 has been the dominant go-to for the most part. The Guild D25 is the pride of my show and tell (thanks Joe) and comes out when a guitar really needs to be HEARD. But I think my pinless J40 is absolutely beautiful, despite what the dude in this video says.
https://youtu.be/03GFuPTScsk

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Guys, I'm talking about manufacturing flaws and imperfections. Just reporting what I'm seeing, and it hasn't been only at GC.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My eyes are not what they used to be Dread so maybe the flaws are present on my Gibsons as well and I just can't see them or know what to look for. I'm not real picky but in the last few days I've been all over mine and I just don't see any flaws. They seem (to me anyway) to be very well built instruments. I'm proud of them and they make me happy. Mine range in age from 1977 to 2017 with the majority of them being from the 2005 to the 2017 timeframe.

Anyway, not trying to be argumentative, just reporting what I'm seeing on my personal Gibsons.

I think we all know that instruments, even of the same model can vary significantly from build to build. I've seen that on Guild, Martin, Taylor and some previously owned Gibsons (since sold).

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll see if I can provide some photos to better illustrate what I'm talking about.