NGD - 1974 D25 Cherry

bobdcat

Reaction score
NGD - 1980 D25 Cherry

Just arrived today. I almost bought one in 1974, but there was a great deal then on a lightly used F-50 for only a bit more. The F-50 is long gone, but I'm glad be back in the Guild steel string club. BIG mahogany sound! And this one is in excellent shape other than a few cosmetic dings you'd expect in a 45 year old guitar.

And there's something arresting about a red guitar. Maybe it's because I also have a pearwood Mark IV with red sides and back.

fGs1iur.jpg

h7VHBpi.jpg

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oowee! Nice indeed and bet you are going to have a great remainder of 2019.

bobouz

Reaction score
Oooh, I like that red - Congrats!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NGD - 1974 D25 Cherry. Just arrived today. I almost bought one in 1974, but there was a great deal then on a lightly used F-50 for only a bit more. The F-50 is long gone, but I'm glad be back in the Guild steel string club. BIG mahogany sound! And this one is in excellent shape other than a few cosmetic dings you'd expect in a 45 year old guitar.

Hello bobdcat,

Congratulations with you 'new' guitar. Looks like a nice one!

However, it looks like somebody made a mistake dating it and forgot to include the serial number letter prefix when looking up the number.
If the serial number without the DA-prefix makes it look like a '74 guitar, then the real manufacturing date will be quite a bit later, so I guess it will be something like an early '80s model.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

bobdcat

Reaction score
So, it's DA104441, which appears to come under the D25 serial numbers for 1980. Indeed, the neck block says D25. But there is no sticker inside. So, perhaps it's not really a D25-C. But it has the same red stain. D25-C appears as a separate 1980s designation only in Guild's 1983 and 1984 serial number chart.

So, I'll go with Westerly made in 1980. Does that sound right, Hans?

Red Guitars!

46904234975_50779fa514_z.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So, perhaps it's not really a D25-C. But it has the same red stain. D25-C appears as a separate 1980s designation only in Guild's 1983 and 1984 serial number chart.
Pretty sure those are actually D25Cutaways; they wouldn't show a separate model series just based on finish color.
But yeah "C" (as well as "CH") was also used to denote "Cherry" in typical confusing Guild fashion.
:friendly_wink:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way cool old dread, and interesting background pieces.

Why is it everytime I read Cherry I have Neil Diamond running thru my head for days ;-)

She got the way to move me, Cherry
She got the way to groove me
She got the way to move me
She got the way to groove me

I think you found a name for this one.

Last edited:

bobdcat

Reaction score
Pretty sure those are actually D25Cutaways; they wouldn't show a separate model series just based on finish color.
But yeah "C" (as well as "CH") was also used to denote "Cherry" in typical confusing Guild fashion.
:friendly_wink:

Tell me about it. I used to own a Guild Mark I, SN CA-2879, which, according to Guild's records, is 723 guitars AFTER the last Mark I was "officially" made.

bobdcat

Reaction score
Received this message from Hans Moust, with info I was unaware of:

There should be an ink-stamped date on one of the beveled edges of the neck block, which should be visible through the soundhole.
This is not the manufacturing date, but the date that the rim was completed in the 'body shop'. Typical completion date of the guitar would be a couple of months after the neck block date, but sometimes more, depending on the popularity of the model during that specific period.

I would think that the date in your guitar should be some time around October 1980, but I could be off somewhat.

He was spot on: October 6, 1980.