Distortion issue

theonemanband

Reaction score
Distortion issue......SOLVED!!

Hello,

I am new to electric guitars, having just bought a new Newark St. Starfire 1V/ST 12 string.
Having played acoustic 12 strings for the last thirty odd years, a recent wrist injury demanded I get something easier on the fretting hand and after a coming to terms with this whole fresh sound, I couldn’t be more happy with my new Guild.

However one issue I would like some advice on please........

Occasionally on a gig, I need to DI the guitar directly into the venue mixer and for this I use my regular Zoom MS-100BT multi fx stompbox. As I have no access to the mixer and need a little more volume, if I crank either or both of the volume pots on the guitar up high (75~100%) it introduces distortion into the sound, not the nice clean sound I desire.

Is this a feature of all humbucker pickups or is it just a feature of the Guild mini’s as fitted to my guitar and any advice on how I can address the issue please?

Thank You.......Brian

Please ignore this post, I found the problem was caused by my settings in the DI box NOT the guitar!!

Last edited:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool, but you still have to post pics of the 12 string.

It's the law. <folds arms>

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What were the settings ? In case I have the same thing happen.

Just guessing . . .

Master volume and/or channel fader way too low on mixer - forces GAIN to be brought up to limit.

theonemanband

Reaction score
Firstly, thank you for the replies!

“Default”....Hi, when I figure out how to post pictures, I’ll happily do that.

The DI/multi fx unit I use has various guitar amp modelling, (although I have never used this feature before and only use it for a little reverb/chorus etc).
I found one I quite liked, a “Fender Tweed Bassman” model, and it was the input gain and tube compression that was causing the issue. However, even with the gain and tube compression set to zero, full gain on the guitar pushed the signal into distortion. I have now deleted amp modelling from the signal chain and have replaced it with Zoom’s own compressor model...... so it goes guitar-compressor-chorus-reverb, all foot switchable and........NO DISTORTION.......well pleased with the result!!

This was a learning curve for me, never having owned an electric guitar amp, and they do say........you live and learn!!

Cheers......Brian

Last edited: