Broke the VW out of cold storage today

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gee, I don't think it's going to snow any more...took the Beetle to Discount Tire and got 4 new skins...don't really need high mileage tires.

5LcZUzY.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Remember the first one I ever saw in 1960-was just amazed at how they went in snow and had the motor in back. It was some shade of orange.

Mark WW

Reaction score
Many Moons ago (1975) I had a 1964 that I rebuilt. Soooo much fun to drive. A GREAT beach car buit the electrical system...horrendous. No one could get it to work and it ate fuses like my wife eats popcorn at the movie show.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gee, I don't think it's going to snow any more...

But they're the best in the snow!!! Completely tossable and steerable with the throttle. I would be out playing in the snow in our '70 Super Beetle when it was just me and the guys in the 4-wheel drive pickup trucks. The bug would keep going until too much snow got packed under the front and lifted the front tires off the snow.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
perfect shape looks like. my Dad had one when he was young. he also had a 57 chevy when he was 18.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The man who has everything needs a Type 2 Grounds Maintenance Variant:
7a5f9b39aa28b87b39fc59fdc6b7b226.jpg

And the accessory ashes hauler:
vw-beetle-trailer.jpg

Complete-ist collectors will no doubt also want a Type 2 "Shorty" affectionately known as the "Half Fast" (say it quickly):
902edd95e97f6316d2a946f73d7cc7e4.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No whitewalls, dread?

walrus

Might be hard enough just finding blackwalls in that size. Special order I guess?

Love the color of that car Dread. It would look good on a bass, too.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Color is the original "Zenith Blue," re-painted because the finish was chalked out from sitting in the California sun for so many years. No rust, though! My buddy did a beautiful job of matching the color.

He also sandblasted and painted the rims with the white/cream and black.

Yes the tires were special order, and we don't put many miles on her so I wasn't looking for a long mileage tire. And they were only $49 ea.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I still have a handful of VW fuses in the packages, those little bullet thingies...

Stunning car. When I get inside one of those, the smell takes me back to childhood...

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a nice looking '67!

I started with a '69 which I had built a 1835cc stroker engine for. He's my Dad and I after installation:

img152.jpg

I then bought a less rusted '73 and swapped out all the good parts and sold the '69:

img826_zpsf97392cc.jpg

I had turned it into a poor man's Porsche 914 by removing the rear seat and building a covered box with a jump seat.

I later sold it to my friend and former business partner to be used as a "company car" for our jointly owned music store in North Carolina.

MBMandMusicBug.jpg

Even though the store is long gone, he's still driving the Bug!

VWBug-X.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember participating in a bug jam like this when I was much younger and much skinnier!

X5Xthsy.jpg

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Alright! What's your best "I can't believe I just got smoked by a VW!" story?

Well since you brought it up...

I would assume most people here on the Forum have heard of Asbury Park, NJ. Mostly because of Bruce Springsteen and the Stone Pony. Locally it was also famous for "The Circuit"! The streets for a couple blocks from the ocean ran in one direction. Ocean Avenue ran north along the Boardwalk and one block over was Kingsley which ran south. Both streets were two lanes wide! On the southern end you would cut across on either Asbury Avenue or 1st Ave. At the north end you could cut across any of the numbered avenues. (The last being 8th Ave.) There were parking lots between the blocks so a lot of the time it depended what was going on in the parking lots as to where you turned!

I assume "cruising" the circuit started in the 50's. Besides just riding around and being cool, there was a fair amount of street racing going on. Most of the time you just raced for a block from light to light. I was a a little young for the hay day of the circuit but the remnants were still in place by the time I got there in the late 70's with my hot bug. So one night I ended up at the head of the pack and first in line at the light. Next to me was a Chevy Camaro. I revved my engine a couple of times to see if he wanted to run and he answered with a couple of revs of his own. The secret to cutting a good light was to watch for the caution light to come on on the side street. You could then count down to when you would get the green. I cut a good light and with the loud pedal to the floor I dumped the clutch. The Bug came out of the hole like a scalded beetle and I slammed the Hurst shifter down into second and pulled the Camaro all the way to the next light! We repeated this again for the next light. At the third showdown the light at the end of the block was still green and we had to go into third gear, Well that was the end of my glory as the Camaro's horsepower finally was fed enough oats and I got shut me down. Yeah, we had some good times cruising the circuit!